welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-04-14 Meanwhile, in the bomf district...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Rune wrote:
Or you could, y'know, just look at the metaphor of a black protagonist cutting off a white consumer's perspective of exoticized women of color.

And give her some credit because, even though she had a chainsaw strong enough to eat through steel beams, when the mook came at her with a friggin' axe, she still just hit him with the non-lethal pepper-spray.

<3 everything about this response is just <3 <3 <3 <3

A++

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still to someone who just joined the comic today, this does look like Curly is saying "We don't like what you choose to use for entertainment, since your not listening to what we say we must go out and censor it."

You can argue that they are fighting for women, but since we don't actually see the workers thoughts on the issue, that's up in the air. People can say "we are freeing them from a bit of torment" while others could say "your making it so they are out of a job". You can look back at devil Monique and say "its torment" or you could look back and say "she was playing a role that she knew she had to do".

The sex industry is full of people, some because they like the work, some because that's the only work they feel they can easily get, or worse the ONLY work they can get, and sadly the dark side of the business are tricked or forced into working. We don't however have a look at this sex business in the Sinfest world to define how it works either through volunteer-ship or signing "I know what I'm getting into", we do know they are assigned here though. The only time we get to see the "back side" of a Devil industry is the fembots, and let's not get started on them.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Still to someone who just joined the comic today, this does look like Curly is saying "We don't like what you choose to use for entertainment, since your not listening to what we say we must go out and censor it."

You can argue that they are fighting for women, but since we don't actually see the workers thoughts on the issue, that's up in the air. People can say "we are freeing them from a bit of torment" while others could say "your making it so they are out of a job". You can look back at devil Monique and say "its torment" or you could look back and say "she was playing a role that she knew she had to do".

The sex industry is full of people, some because they like the work, some because that's the only work they feel they can easily get, or worse the ONLY work they can get, and sadly the dark side of the business are tricked or forced into working. We don't however have a look at this sex business in the Sinfest world to define how it works either through volunteer-ship or signing "I know what I'm getting into", we do know they are assigned here though. The only time we get to see the "back side" of a Devil industry is the fembots, and let's not get started on them.

The fact that the building itself says "new imports" does seem to be leaning into the issue of trafficking, which, in all reality, does go hand-in-hand with the exoticization issue, whether people want to think about it or not. Minorities and foreign women are disproportionately the victims of human sex trafficking in the US.

And, there is also the issue of Curly, herself. She is a black woman. She could very well be protecting -herself- from that perspective of sexual othering and exoticization of minority women. Because what did she actually stop there? What she stopped was the broadcasting of a message.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:

Shut the fuck up rothide, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Rothide wrote:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/index.php

I swear, it's like you're made for eachother.
Rothide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Rothide wrote:

The fact that the building itself says "new imports" does seem to be leaning into the issue of trafficking, which, in all reality, does go hand-in-hand with the exoticization issue, whether people want to think about it or not. Minorities and foreign women are disproportionately the victims of human sex trafficking in the US.

And, there is also the issue of Curly, herself. She is a black woman. She could very well be protecting -herself- from that perspective of sexual othering and exoticization of minority women. Because what did she actually stop there? What she stopped was the broadcasting of a message.

Hmm, I didn't notice the Importing, so I guess the sisterhood has the right to do this. Glad I spoke up, I wouldn't have caught that line.

Though this does raise something I don't like about Tat, he says things are bad, writes it, but doesn't back it up with things we can actually see. The girls there do not look like they are languishing and suffering or anything really bad happening to them, they actually look like they are enjoying themselves, I guess that could just be a front, but even when we got into the place itself, except for del'nique looking sad, we don't really get that from the other devils.

I guess I'm saying is "show us how the sausage is made" instead of just showing the sisterhood fighting, and telling us its for the best, show what is wrong with the place to MAKE them fight it, so we can say "yeah, that does need to be fought."
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Rothide wrote:

http://atheismplus.com/forums/index.php

I swear, it's like you're made for eachother.

Go away Guest.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who jumps into the comic today isn't going to know anything about the rest of the story. They'll read more of the story and learn, or they'll come here and get the story. Either waym I don't see why every strip needs to be self evident to any random passersby.

Also, Lime/Fern/Etc said that working in the mansion was better than working in the Bomf district or the Hell Hole. At the very least, the Bomf district is not a desirable place to work, according to at least one devil person.

If the devil girls just wanted to be sexy and earn money, they could do it on their own - but in the Sinfest world, there is this huge complex built, owned and run by the Devil. They wouldn't be able to compete with that. And after having become devil people, it appears difficult if not impossible for them to do anything other than work for the Devil.

The problem is when people have little or no choice. In the Sinfest world, it appears devil girls have no choice but to take what they are given. Fuschia might be doing okay now, but she might serve as a frightening example to the others. Because look at her - no access to money, could be crushed at any moment now.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're born as (or bomfed into) someone who people look down upon. They judge you instantly on how you look and stereotype you as something bad. Your only option to make something of your life is to accept a job everyone like you has. Your surrounding convinces you that you will never be able to have a different job and you will never gain more than you have now. The man you and all of your kind work for seems to be someone that everyone sees as absolute evil. While he never seems to abuse you, he also never really compliments you and uses you merely as a tool to achieve what he wants.

This is what has been visually presented to us. Maybe we don't see the full picture and maybe I have missed something or Tat hasn't shown some things yet. But given all this, is it that strange that the Sisterhood might think that all Devil Girls are stuck in a horrible cycle and that affirmative action like this is needed?
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
The girls there do not look like they are languishing and suffering or anything really bad happening to them, they actually look like they are enjoying themselves, I guess that could just be a front, but even when we got into the place itself, except for del'nique looking sad, we don't really get that from the other devils.

Thing is, that's how they're -being presented-. They're labeled commodities behind glass, with a price-tag attached. I'm not sure how much clearer that could be, considering it's depicted literally.

These kinds of problems are insidious. Some women in the sex industry are physically abused, and it is easier to find outrage for that kind of thing (though still not universal,) and it's awful. Some are trafficked, and there is a special place in hell waiting for every single dick involved with that. You want to see how that sausage is made (see what I did there?) read "Half the Sky." What that book, and others like it, might also do is help you see the rest of what's right in front of you. All the ways, big and small, that add up to women being treated like commodities, femininity and female sexuality as a public good for consumption, to be branded, marketed, and used accordingly, and generally regarded as objects of biological function with different fetish costumes on, even if those costumes are their own skins.

You want to see what's "over there." I think Tat's asking you to see what's right in front of you. The latter can be the harder thing, but ultimately the more important for making a personal change.
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Fuschia might be doing okay now, but she might serve as a frightening example to the others. Because look at her - no access to money, could be crushed at any moment now.

If she took commissions, she'd probably make a killing. Even if it was just Seymour, seems like he can afford to blow loads on Jesus paintings. Dohoho
diagram12345

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not a sex worker, what right do you have to make a victim out of someone who doesn't want to be one? What I think is messed up is the judging of people who are sex workers -- once they've been a sex worker, it's hard for them to get another job, while those who enjoy their services can be pillars of society.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need to actually be a victim of exploitation and abuse to recognize exploitation and abuse when it happens.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalmBlueSea wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Fuschia might be doing okay now, but she might serve as a frightening example to the others. Because look at her - no access to money, could be crushed at any moment now.

If she took commissions, she'd probably make a killing. Even if it was just Seymour, seems like he can afford to blow loads on Jesus paintings. Dohoho

People think making money off art is easy if you are talented. It is not. Also, some people find they can't really make good art if they are doing it for money.

I think right now she's more concerned with healing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
CalmBlueSea wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

People think making money off art is easy if you are talented. It is not. Also, some people find they can't really make good art if they are doing it for money.

I think right now she's more concerned with healing.

This. This, this, this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: