welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4/15 - Hand in your testicles
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3160
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Because a desire to helpe a group of people is sincere if it is contingent on no members of that group ever misbehaving.

Also because it isn't absurd how quickly Slick decided that feminism was an illuminati conspiracy.


Counterpoint: We know the Illuminati exist (well, sort of: The illuminati drones are all under the Devil's control) and slick knows those drones are not really friendly things or on 'his' side.

One spouting feminist stuff at him (and him thus going 'wait, maybe they aren't the good guys!') ISN'T that irrational in the Sinfest verse.

So yeah, I do think the girls doing this to have fun at Slick's expense is going to backfire badly. =/.


Counterpoint counterpoint: He knows Nique is against the Devil,,and that feminism is important to her. He also knws the Devil and his minions are full of lies to tempt him. The Devil wants him to go to Hell. Nique does not. The Devil is shouting about how the Sisterhood is bad and sexism is good. Also, he was so very proud of himself for supporting feminism, even f he just did it to try and get back into Nique's good graces.

In the midst of a celebration, he takes all of two seconds to decide that, no, the thing Nique supports is a conspiracy, somehow run by the Illuminati. He doesn't consider that perhaps the illumnati might be trying to screw up his already tentative friendship with 'Nique, which it very well could be.

No, the very first thing he does is decide feminism is evil.

The only person this will backfire on is Slick, because he can't do much of anything. All Sleaze did was stand by and do nothing when Xanthe was attacked - which is bad, but you see she got out just fine. Slick in his present state is neither useful nor worrisome for the Sisterhood.

If he is the kind of 'ally' that turns at he drop of a hat, then he is not worth anyone's time to worry about. Hopefully he gets his head dislodged from his ass without breaking his own neck.


Also: THEY ARE WOMEN, NOT GIRLS.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3160
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khan wrote:
Random Wanderer wrote:
And now Slick will never even try to do anything to help women ever again. Great work girls.


Hey Jackass! Stop being a jackass! Slick has the memory of a goldfish.

Also, he's biologically incapable of hating Nique, let alone holding a grudge.


I've heard goldfish described as floating gonads.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3160
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to know is are the testicles still in a sack? Because if they aren't, there is only so long before they dry out - and then they are no use to anyone.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
starkruzr



Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 118

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "dudebro" just another term for "sexist manchild," or what?

I feel like historically (for all of the, what, three years it's been a thing) it hasn't meant that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Felgraf



Joined: 10 Jul 2012
Posts: 707

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Because a desire to helpe a group of people is sincere if it is contingent on no members of that group ever misbehaving.

Also because it isn't absurd how quickly Slick decided that feminism was an illuminati conspiracy.


Counterpoint: We know the Illuminati exist (well, sort of: The illuminati drones are all under the Devil's control) and slick knows those drones are not really friendly things or on 'his' side.

One spouting feminist stuff at him (and him thus going 'wait, maybe they aren't the good guys!') ISN'T that irrational in the Sinfest verse.

So yeah, I do think the girls doing this to have fun at Slick's expense is going to backfire badly. =/.


Counterpoint counterpoint: He knows Nique is against the Devil,,and that feminism is important to her. He also knws the Devil and his minions are full of lies to tempt him. The Devil wants him to go to Hell. Nique does not. The Devil is shouting about how the Sisterhood is bad and sexism is good. Also, he was so very proud of himself for supporting feminism, even f he just did it to try and get back into Nique's good graces.

In the midst of a celebration, he takes all of two seconds to decide that, no, the thing Nique supports is a conspiracy, somehow run by the Illuminati. He doesn't consider that perhaps the illumnati might be trying to screw up his already tentative friendship with 'Nique, which it very well could be.

No, the very first thing he does is decide feminism is evil.

The only person this will backfire on is Slick, because he can't do much of anything. All Sleaze did was stand by and do nothing when Xanthe was attacked - which is bad, but you see she got out just fine. Slick in his present state is neither useful nor worrisome for the Sisterhood.

If he is the kind of 'ally' that turns at he drop of a hat, then he is not worth anyone's time to worry about. Hopefully he gets his head dislodged from his ass without breaking his own neck.


Also: THEY ARE WOMEN, NOT GIRLS.


Alright, the women. I see slick sometimes refred to as a 'boy' and not a 'man'.

And while Slick is trying to support, he's also seeing (from *HIS* perspective) a good friend drift away. Remember, in her last interaction with him, Monique was really *pissed* at Slick. Slick may percieve/have percieved feminism as driving monique away from him. (THIS IS NOT WHAT'S HAPPENING, mind.)

Then all of the sudden he catches one of the Illuminati drones spouting feminist rhetoric. Given that the devil is, well, the devil, Slick may assume that he's playing both sides against the middle. That would likely seem more, to Slick than the thought that 'nique or a sisterhood member has managed to sneak inside the devil's compound and into his master control center and is screwing with him.

(As I rather doubt the thought of "One of the devil's workers *invited in* Monique and let her into the master control center" would... really occur to Slick).

They're having fun preying on his paranoia and current anxiety, and I think that's cruel and mean. *Shrugs*.

(And yes, Slick could go "Aha! But wait! The devil is spouting these things, perhaps to MAKE me distrust feminism", but... I'm not sure he's really capable of that degree of meta-cognition at this point.)

EDIT: Also on the 'girl' front, no offense or belittling was meant by that. I've just seen a number of women in my life (who I felt were femnist, including my mother) refer to fellow women, or themselves, as 'girls' from time to time. I sometimes tend to use it as interchangeable with 'woman' or "Bearer of two X chromosomes".

/Okay I don't really use the last one.
//I am sorely tempted to now.
_________________
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger


Last edited by Felgraf on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3160
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudebro just generally means a dude who is insecure in his manhood, and makes up for it with macho, sexism and homophobia. The sexism comes from the insecurity, and a lack of ability or inability to consider the point of view of people who are not them.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tricksterson



Joined: 18 Aug 2012
Posts: 436

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just dreading what will happen when the Devil walks in on this. Maybe Slick will wind up having to rescue Monique with the help of the Sisterhood?
_________________
I aim to misbehave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3160
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he'll hear what goes on over the intercom, and then he'll go ask the sisterhood for help. But the voice probably doesn't sound like her so he'd need more info.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Geareye



Joined: 21 Mar 2013
Posts: 256

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Maybe he'll hear what goes on over the intercom, and then he'll go ask the sisterhood for help. But the voice probably doesn't sound like her so he'd need more info.


Ooooh, I can see it. Slick hears the Devil attacking them, figures out something foul is going on, asks the sisterhood for help, Xanthe is angry/suspicious at him since the Slick/Sleaze/Sunglasses thing, character interaction, character development and Miss M having her mind blown due to the awesomeness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3160
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf, not all women bear two x chromosomes, so maybe don't unless you know for sure. And they may refer to themselves as girls, but unless you use the word in the right way, it comes off as condescending - because that is how it has been used in the past. As in 'Women are children with little brain power.'

Slick is an example of someone whose support is very tepid, not genuine. His words are, 'I knew it!' So he never really believed that feminism was a good thing. He never believed in what it stands for. And in essence, he thinks Nique should just take part in every sexist thing ever.

And the sexist code of ethics says she should entertain men with her sexay, and she should fit neatly into a prescribed role. He is under the delusion that feminists are after his balls (not true) while actual women are being bomfed against their will and exploited.

They are dealing with some major actual shit, and he's got his imaginary tiny man problems. (His friendship drifting away is a real problem, but he could do something to stop that if he'd grow the fuck up.)
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
lol



Joined: 16 Nov 2012
Posts: 136

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't find the strip funny, but I did find it charming. Monique and Fern are growing a heart warming friendship, and Monique antagonizing Slick felt more playful than anything.


Just thought the strip was cute rather than funny. Reminds me of screwing around with my friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3073

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
I'm just dreading what will happen when the Devil walks in on this. Maybe Slick will wind up having to rescue Monique with the help of the Sisterhood?


Well, as it happens, as seen in the strip of today (4/16/13), he's literally miles away from the scene, of no immediate concern.

I will not be at all surprised if, the next time we see 'Nique and/or Fern, they're nowhere near The Devil's Blofeld Room, the strip having jumped right past the point where they walked out of it. Tat rarely sets us up for moments that he actually delivers. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3073

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the drone itself is making of all this. We know that they're capable of independent thought, and although it's presumably accustomed to having The Devil speak through it, having someone else do so must be a new experience for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
diagram12345



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 150

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Because a desire to helpe a group of people is sincere if it is contingent on no members of that group ever misbehaving.

Also because it isn't absurd how quickly Slick decided that feminism was an illuminati conspiracy.


Counterpoint: We know the Illuminati exist (well, sort of: The illuminati drones are all under the Devil's control) and slick knows those drones are not really friendly things or on 'his' side.

One spouting feminist stuff at him (and him thus going 'wait, maybe they aren't the good guys!') ISN'T that irrational in the Sinfest verse.

So yeah, I do think the girls doing this to have fun at Slick's expense is going to backfire badly. =/.


Counterpoint counterpoint: He knows Nique is against the Devil,,and that feminism is important to her. He also knws the Devil and his minions are full of lies to tempt him. The Devil wants him to go to Hell. Nique does not. The Devil is shouting about how the Sisterhood is bad and sexism is good. Also, he was so very proud of himself for supporting feminism, even f he just did it to try and get back into Nique's good graces.

In the midst of a celebration, he takes all of two seconds to decide that, no, the thing Nique supports is a conspiracy, somehow run by the Illuminati. He doesn't consider that perhaps the illumnati might be trying to screw up his already tentative friendship with 'Nique, which it very well could be.

No, the very first thing he does is decide feminism is evil.

The only person this will backfire on is Slick, because he can't do much of anything. All Sleaze did was stand by and do nothing when Xanthe was attacked - which is bad, but you see she got out just fine. Slick in his present state is neither useful nor worrisome for the Sisterhood.

If he is the kind of 'ally' that turns at he drop of a hat, then he is not worth anyone's time to worry about. Hopefully he gets his head dislodged from his ass without breaking his own neck.


Also: THEY ARE WOMEN, NOT GIRLS.


Alright, the women. I see slick sometimes refred to as a 'boy' and not a 'man'.

And while Slick is trying to support, he's also seeing (from *HIS* perspective) a good friend drift away. Remember, in her last interaction with him, Monique was really *pissed* at Slick. Slick may percieve/have percieved feminism as driving monique away from him. (THIS IS NOT WHAT'S HAPPENING, mind.)

Then all of the sudden he catches one of the Illuminati drones spouting feminist rhetoric. Given that the devil is, well, the devil, Slick may assume that he's playing both sides against the middle. That would likely seem more, to Slick than the thought that 'nique or a sisterhood member has managed to sneak inside the devil's compound and into his master control center and is screwing with him.

(As I rather doubt the thought of "One of the devil's workers *invited in* Monique and let her into the master control center" would... really occur to Slick).

They're having fun preying on his paranoia and current anxiety, and I think that's cruel and mean. *Shrugs*.

(And yes, Slick could go "Aha! But wait! The devil is spouting these things, perhaps to MAKE me distrust feminism", but... I'm not sure he's really capable of that degree of meta-cognition at this point.)

EDIT: Also on the 'girl' front, no offense or belittling was meant by that. I've just seen a number of women in my life (who I felt were femnist, including my mother) refer to fellow women, or themselves, as 'girls' from time to time. I sometimes tend to use it as interchangeable with 'woman' or "Bearer of two X chromosomes".

/Okay I don't really use the last one.
//I am sorely tempted to now.


This thought of referring to Slick as a man is laughable to me.

On the girls v. women front, I often make it a point to refer to people as women rather than girls in the workplace since I personally find it respectful, but I'd be an awfully entitled, privileged irritant if I insisted that other people change themselves to suit my preferences by following suit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mercian



Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
What I want to know is are the testicles still in a sack? Because if they aren't, there is only so long before they dry out - and then they are no use to anyone.


I hear you can make great soup stock with th...

Wait - that's OXO cubes, isn't it?

Carry on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group