welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 686, 687, 688 ... 824, 825, 826  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy fucking Christ, Darq, are you fifteen? What the fuck are they teaching you in this writing degree?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
why are we talking about "writer responsibility" when we don't even know who did this or why?

christ, take your vendetta against pop culture somewhere else

Look, I'm not saying a writer caused this, or even had any direct result on the outcome. I'm not even saying they have to be the origin of any given idea. Blaming a writer would be like blaming the person who runs the machine that made the ball bearings. What I am saying is that writers, or anyone involved in media content production, sometimes influence and inspire people. Sometimes it might be in a way they never would have intended. Hell it might not even be exactly what was created.

It's a rationale like this: "Hey I saw __________ the other day and it got me thinking about _________ so it gave me the idea to __________ and __________." And I do realize that anything could inspire-- a novel, a story, a TV show, a documentary, hell even a commercial. Almost universally, if people are asked "where do your ideas come from", they are going to, at least in part, attribute the origins of a given idea to life experience. The ideas you present to them become a part of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, dude, your goofball, hair brained speculation is pretty fucking disrespectful. Not only that, Swordfish was a forgettable techno babble action movie from 2001 -- what the fuck

who is it in your life that encourages you to do this sort of awful stupid shit? They need to be stopped. Is it your wife? put her on the phone right now! Is it this room mate you suddenly have? The worst part is, you're probably not even on drugs, yet still you're living in some sort of weird mid-nineties stoner bubble of whatever pop culture fueled garbage brambles through your head is important to discuss in an internet forum.

STOP THE WORDS, EMBARRASSING DAD.
Him

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Saudi Marathon Man
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because NO ONE has ever imitated what they saw in a movie Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Him

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

oh right because they were imitating a terror bombing...and it all went horribly wrong. Wait...
Snorri

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:

This has got to be the stupidest argument you've ever....

wait. I forgot about all those other times. This is maybe top 10.

Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone comes forward and takes responsibility
citing 2001's box office bomb SWORDFISH as their inspiration I will never make fun of Darqcyde again.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I avoid watching the 24 hour news cycle reporting on events like this because I don't believe it is healthy to be repeatedly exposed to tragedy like this over and over again. I think it reinforces feelings of fear, insecurity, and anger. others have told me that they find it promotes a sense of community which is comforting and quickens healing. thoughts?

I avoid it principally for two reasons.

ONE: They have a standard expectation to present the same degree of news 'flow,' whether or not anything new is coming in. Sans any real development, they must still keep presenting with the same amount of noise as if there had been no development. Which means that it degrades into stretching, endless talking, scrimping for every last inconsequential bit of data or testification to provide. You see it in how all the video of such an event becomes repeated, repeated, repeated. With the diminishing standard of what counts for expert opinion for whoever they can drag in for that. This tends to leave them increasingly more and more vulnerable to ...

TWO: the fact that so many of the major players have succumbed to "doesn't matter, got clicks." CNN, NYPost, Fox, all shooting from the hip and getting rewarded for putting out whatever bullshit they can pass as news. 12 dead! Saudi Muslim Suspect In Custody! Suspect Arrested! Here's the Shooter, or Was It His Brother! Whoops let's retract it and still have been amply rewarded by all the clickthroughs and attention.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's a rationale like this: "Hey I saw __________ the other day and it got me thinking about _________ so it gave me the idea to __________ and __________." And I do realize that anything could inspire-- a novel, a story, a TV show, a documentary, hell even a commercial. Almost universally, if people are asked "where do your ideas come from", they are going to, at least in part, attribute the origins of a given idea to life experience.

Also, swordfish, really

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu7hrNiENUY

was not in any way the inspiration for improvised shrapnel bombs which were the Strickland special and a source of terror in the israeli colonies for decades before anyone made a silly movie featuring things kind of like them

-

Him wrote:
The Saudi Marathon Man

^ everyone should read this. It's kind of getting lost in this nuttery and it really deserves to be read in full

Last edited by Sam on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/04/17/cnn-boston-marathon-bombings-suspect-identified-in-surveillance-video/
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More shit in this shitty fucking week which I am surprised hasn't been talked about here yet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/18/us-usa-explosion-texas-idUSBRE93H02A20130418

or if you want the condensed version, watch the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROrpKx3aIjA&feature=youtu.be

the destruction is immense.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:

Also, swordfish, really

like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu7hrNiENUY

was not in any way the inspiration for improvised shrapnel bombs which were the Strickland special and a source of terror in the israeli colonies for decades before anyone made a silly movie featuring things kind of like them

Adding shrapnel to shells has been commonplace in military use since the widespread use of artillery began in the late 17th century. One of the worst domestic bombings in the US (Bath School Disaster) involved a shrapnel and explosive filled truck, and that was 1927.

The idea that it was inspired by a movie is silly.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought was IRA. Seem to remember they liked to add nails and rat poison to their bombs. Heard about that long before I saw anything similar in movies.

Regardless, I'm sure it's suggested in the Anarchist's Cookbook, some of those "army imporovised munitions handbook" reprints you see around,,and any number of online guides.

Edit: IRA as inspiration, not as perpetrators. If that wasn't clear.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really makes you wonder if any of these terrorists recognize the power they wield over the entertainment industry. I'm not saying shrapnel-filled explosive devices that existed for hundreds of years did inspire the shit show that was Swordfish, and I'm not saying they didn't, but I hope they stop and ask themselves, "Is it possible that I am going to inspire the next shitty John Travolta movie? Do I want that on my conscience?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 686, 687, 688 ... 824, 825, 826  Next
Page 687 of 826

Jump to: