Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Feminism because why not make a thread for it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 268, 269, 270  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BiQ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.luluvise.android&hl=en

... Interesting. And by "interesting", I mean "ugly". Well, maybe those not-so-thankful-for-feminism gals can find their dream husband with it...
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this young lady is awesome.

[url] http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/17/1883121/west-virginia-abstinence-assembly/ [/url]

Brief Summary:

Young woman protests right-wing abstinence only school function.

Principal threatens to call college she's applied to, and tell them " what bad character you have and what a backstabber you are"

Girl's response: "INJUNCTIONED." (as opposed to letting herself be cowed.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's going to wellesley! somehow, i suspect the officials there might see her actions in a bit of a different light than the principle did.

and one can hope that this will generate some national attention, both for this sort of ridiculous "education", and the sort of person the principle has revealed himself to be....one hopes he ends up with a few consequences to his future career options.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
she's going to wellesley! somehow, i suspect the officials there might see her actions in a bit of a different light than the principle did.

and one can hope that this will generate some national attention, both for this sort of ridiculous "education", and the sort of person the principle has revealed himself to be....one hopes he ends up with a few consequences to his future career options.

I am unfamilliar with that school, but I think she's already been accepted and the school confirmed that her actions/what the principle said would not cause that to be retracted?

But yes. At the very least, she's already in touch with the ACLU.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Dro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.change.org/petitions/katelyn-campbell-welcome-to-wellesley-college-we-think-you-ll-fit-right-in

https://www.facebook.com/WellesleyCollege/posts/10151326609641920
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wellesley is one of the 'seven sisters', originally the women's version of the ivy leagues. so it has a long, long history of promoting women's education and rights, and has a number of very prominent graduates who haven't been afraid to stand up and do things in a male-dominated world (hillary clinton, for one). so i would have expected their reaction to be pretty much exactly like the one dro posted.

it's about the last place in the world that would be put off by a prospective student speaking up to object to being forced to listen to nonsense like that assembly. and the first to interpret the principal's allegation of back-stabbing for exactly what it was - an attempt to blacken her character in a way he never would have considered doing to a boy.

i suspect we will be hearing from this young lady again. i'm looking forward to it.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we say he would have never done that to a boy though? It seems likely he would have used bully tactics on anyone who didn't conform to his ideological beliefs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I... agree... with... Darq.

I'm as stunned as anyone.

Honestly, though, I don't see this principal treating anyone with a dissenting opinion with any amount of decency, especially if he feels he has any direct influence on them.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, i'm sure he would have attempted to humiliate a boy, too. i'm just not sure he would have gone with "i'll tell them what a backstabber you are", i.e., that you are devious person who says one thing to your face and something else behind your back.

which was really odd in this case, because it sounds like she was pretty open about her opinion on this speaker from the get-go.

ok, so maybe he's just pretty clueless in his methods of denigrating his students. so maybe he would call a boy a backstabber. i'll rescind that bit.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread needs more good news. I meant to post this about a week ago but didn't get to it.

Reebok drops rapper due to rape lyrics in song

Actually it seems because the rapper wouldn't apologize for it at all but hey, I'll take it.

Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Apologies for the #lyric interpreted as rape.

What a winner lol.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

his official apology is actually pretty amazing, and a pretty excellent example to set to other dumb fucks who say dumb and evil things in a massively public sphere.

Obviously it would have been great if he'd said that first, rather than making some half arsed twitter non-apologies and then, post getting dumped by reebok, properly acknowledging how fucked what he said was.

Obviously, obviously, it would have been great if he'd never used lyrics that condone and encourage date rape.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But mostly he's sorry he's losing money from his endorsements.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This article sums up a bunch of stuff, but it's mostly about body image perceptions and the Dove Campaign for Real Beauty: http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/why-women-hate-bodies-230100163.html

A little excerpt (it's a decent length article):
Quote:
Do women see themselves less accurately than strangers do?

According to a study commissioned by Dove, only 4% of women around the world would describe themselves as beautiful. 72% of young girls included in the survey say they feel "tremendous pressure to be beautiful," and more than half (54%) agree that when it comes to how they look, they are their own worst beauty critic.*

These are no doubt alarming statistics, but it's difficult to completely understand the emotional impact of these beliefs from cold numbers alone. Perhaps that's why the team at Dove decided to perform a social experiment to test whether women's perceptions of their bodies differ from those of a stranger's. And they went about it in a way that might surprise you: by enlisting the help of a forensic sketch artist.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had really mixed feelings about the Dove ad when I first saw it. I think what threw me off was the hugely downer ending. I don't even think any of the women smiled, they were just in awe and said things like "Wow I really need to work on myself." It wasn't empowering at all.

Like if the goal of the ad was to make me feel better about how I look, it failed. It just made me feel sad but also like I should feel grateful or something? I don't know, it's hard to explain.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 200, 201, 202 ... 268, 269, 270  Next
Page 201 of 270

Jump to: