welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1093, 1094, 1095 ... 1133, 1134, 1135  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things brought me to tears today. I'm apparently getting mushier with age.
Yorick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying a new car.
The last one was shit from day one, it just took a while to realise it wouldn't get any better.

the big minus is another 5 years of debt to get thru.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TIAB wrote:
I'm apparently getting mushier with age.

You can try to ward it off with diet and exercise, but it happens to everyone... just look at Arnold. Went from hard body to hard-to-look-at body.

+ My team won at a charity trivia game held at a bakery
+ First place was a free loaf of bread every month for a year
+/- All of my teammates work at the bakery, and get free bread anyway. They won nothing... except bragging rights (fuck yes George Harrison performed "Got My Mind Set On You"!).
+... so I won free bread every month for a year.
- I move out of town in two months
+ Free loaf of bread for two months, then the good karma of giving it away.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a test yesterday in class, it's not supposed to be a big test, but we don't have ANY other grades on the books, so right now it's a huge chunk. It's over half of the semesters worth of techniques and knowledge because of weather, etc we haven't had time for other ones.

+ Did fine on the essay portion, it just came naturally.
- Complete botched the lab math portion, I have no idea why. I saw the problems there and the formulas trickled out of my ear and onto the floor.
- Literally a minute after we had the tests out my phone goes off the hook. text after text. I had to ask the teacher if I could excuse myself for what might possibly be an emergency.
- Wife came home and the front door was open. wide open. She was, understandably, afraid to go in.
+ My friend lives around the corner and went in with her. Not the smartest move, but our dog wasn't visibly upset or acting as if a stranger was there.
+ No one was there and the door was still locked. Best we can figure is it didn't close properly and fell open during the day. Nothing was missing, including money laying on a table.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Finally a new position opened up at work that I could apply for, which would more than double my hours, and the shifts are all at times I could currently work.
+ I had fun this morning imagining having a savings account again and occasionally buying underwear and sandwiches!

- There is an actual rule that people doing my job don't get to have twenty or more hours, because benefits.
- I get to listen to more pandering from higher ups about how the people doing my job are the backbone of the system, and they just love us.

I don't think money is everything, but it is so maddening to have a job with a great work environment that I like, and to see the possibility of having more than enough - and oh, hey, that's never gonna happen!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
+ Finally a new position opened up at work that I could apply for, which would more than double my hours, and the shifts are all at times I could currently work.
+ I had fun this morning imagining having a savings account again and occasionally buying underwear and sandwiches!

- There is an actual rule that people doing my job don't get to have twenty or more hours, because benefits.
- I get to listen to more pandering from higher ups about how the people doing my job are the backbone of the system, and they just love us.

I don't think money is everything, but it is so maddening to have a job with a great work environment that I like, and to see the possibility of having more than enough - and oh, hey, that's never gonna happen!

Word on job conflicts.

I finally got a job, but unfortunately it's only seasonal, but it's the only thing that's called me back. Also, my boss and co-worker are simply some of the greatest people I've ever worked with--these are people I would actually be friends with had we met under different circumstances. There's also actually a lot of mutual friends and acquaintances between the three of us. My boss started me not only higher than I expected, he's given me a bump after having proven myself. It's pool service/construction, which apparently my years of various other jobs + growing up with a pool = me being very, very qualified for this. It's almost 40 minutes one-way to work, but it also pays me more than any job I've ever had before.

The last part is definitely mixed. While pay I can actually live and support a family on is great, it's just depressing to look back at all the shitty paying jobs I've gotten stuck with in the past. Also, a lot of those shittier paying jobs were A) way more dangerous B) way more demanding C) involved working with horrible, horrible people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I did temp work for a number of years. The great thing was health/dental insurance and some really awesome jobs. The bad thing was you could go a long time without getting one. (When the economy tanked, the best temp agency literally had no other jobs on offer other than bartender. The others had fish factory work i couldn't do because my knees can't take standing for ten hours on a concrete floor.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher dropped the lab math portion of the exam.

I know this is good for me, but doesn't speak well for the class in general if we all botched it as bad as I did.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:

I know this is good for me, but doesn't speak well for the class in general if we all botched it as bad as I did.

In my pre-coffee, early morning bleariness, I read 'math' as 'meth' Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I read "meth lab portion" too.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to double check that I didn't type meth.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol meth.

Sign me up for the job conflicts train. The thing is my job is great - it pays well, I have a nice boss, nice colleagues, yada. But there's no room for growth whatsoever. I can't climb up the ranks without leaving the company. With the recession everywhere people keep telling me how lucky I am and how grateful I should be and I'm like blaaah I want to learn how to become a manager, not how to stay a secretary. And then I feel bad because I know my friends are jobless.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Sign me up for the job conflicts train. The thing is my job is great - it pays well, I have a nice boss, nice colleagues, yada. But there's no room for growth whatsoever. I can't climb up the ranks without leaving the company. With the recession everywhere people keep telling me how lucky I am and how grateful I should be and I'm like blaaah I want to learn how to become a manager, not how to stay a secretary. And then I feel bad because I know my friends are jobless.

I dislike my absentee boss. My co-workers (who I just found out started at a rate higher than I am making 6 years into the job) don't do half the work I do, and complain about me being lazy. No room for growth. Poor pay.

I'm doing what I can to get out of here, but so far it's nothing.

I've considered going back to fast food management, at least that paid well.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Yinello wrote:

I dislike my absentee boss. My co-workers (who I just found out started at a rate higher than I am making 6 years into the job) don't do half the work I do, and complain about me being lazy. No room for growth. Poor pay.

I'm doing what I can to get out of here, but so far it's nothing.

I've considered going back to fast food management, at least that paid well.

Man that sucks. I hope you'll get a lucky break soon.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darqcyde wrote:
DeD CHiKn wrote:

In my pre-coffee, early morning bleariness, I read 'math' as 'meth' Embarassed

mATH: NOT EVEN ONCE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1093, 1094, 1095 ... 1133, 1134, 1135  Next
Page 1094 of 1135

Jump to: