welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 687, 688, 689 ... 824, 825, 826  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TIAB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrorism is the number one cause of Micheal Bay.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
It really makes you wonder if any of these terrorists recognize the power they wield over the entertainment industry. I'm not saying shrapnel-filled explosive devices that existed for hundreds of years did inspire the shit show that was Swordfish, and I'm not saying they didn't, but I hope they stop and ask themselves, "Is it possible that I am going to inspire the next shitty John Travolta movie? Do I want that on my conscience?"

on the contrary, what could be a more potent weapon of terror than that?
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, ShadowCell - don't give anyone any ideas! we could end up with a followup to Battlefield Earth!

Sam wrote:
More shit in this shitty fucking week which I am surprised hasn't been talked about here yet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/18/us-usa-explosion-texas-idUSBRE93H02A20130418

it is truly horrific. but it is kind of interesting - of course, especially with boston, people are citing past terrorist events in waco - but it is stunningly similar to the explosion of the Grandcamp, which caught on fire while being loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer, and then exploded, practically leveling the town of texas city. april 16, 1947 (it was tuesday's headline "this day in history" story in the nytimes, is why i noticed it.)

fertilizer is some seriously dangerous shit.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
damn, ShadowCell - don't give anyone any ideas! we could end up with a followup to Battlefield Earth!

Sam wrote:
More shit in this shitty fucking week which I am surprised hasn't been talked about here yet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/18/us-usa-explosion-texas-idUSBRE93H02A20130418

it is truly horrific. but it is kind of interesting - of course, especially with boston, people are citing past terrorist events in waco - but it is stunningly similar to the explosion of the Grandcamp, which caught on fire while being loaded with ammonium nitrate fertilizer, and then exploded, practically leveling the town of texas city. april 16, 1947 (it was tuesday's headline "this day in history" story in the nytimes, is why i noticed it.)

You'd be amazed, especially when it comes to stuff being stored in silos. Even things that normally aren't thought of as explosive at all, like flour and sawdust, can explode due to high dust concentrations. They used to use dynamite to help loosen compacted material at the bottom of storage silos, until an ammonium nitrate plant in Germany exploded and killed some five or six hundred people and flattened a town in the 20's. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppau_explosion )

Although any kind of nitrate (-NO3) is bad news when it comes to fires, highly oxidizing chemicals that tend to be stored in bulk quantities due to their agricultural/industrial nature.
CTrees

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

urgh
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i went there.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, the senate passed a gun bill!

....penalizing states for releasing gun ownership data.

well, i certainly feel safer.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mark-zuckerberg-says-it-s-totally-ok-to-ignore-dinner-guests-while-checking-your-phone-150633196.html
Zuckerberg was asked about this at the Facebook Home event (emphasis added) wrote:
Q. Do you ever think about presence? How when you’re out at dinner with your wife, and you get a message, it distracts you from whoever you’re with?

Zuckerberg: “Yeah. That comes up a lot. Whether or not communicating online disconnects you from people offline. [...]. I think that’s overblown. There’s this idea; technology is a tool. Glasses augment your vision, your reality. Steve Jobs said that computers augment your mind. With Facebook and other tools, you can stay connected and get more context from more people.

People often think of staying connected as frivolous — it’s not. It’s powerful

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Kilgore

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
mouse wrote:

Sam wrote:

You'd be amazed, especially when it comes to stuff being stored in silos. Even things that normally aren't thought of as explosive at all, like flour and sawdust, can explode due to high dust concentrations. They used to use dynamite to help loosen compacted material at the bottom of storage silos, until an ammonium nitrate plant in Germany exploded and killed some five or six hundred people and flattened a town in the 20's. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oppau_explosion )

Although any kind of nitrate (-NO3) is bad news when it comes to fires, highly oxidizing chemicals that tend to be stored in bulk quantities due to their agricultural/industrial nature.

Not that surprising, given that ammonium nitrate fertilizer was originally developed when the U.S. government needed to repurpose all the explosives it was creating at the end of WWII.

-Slick
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, Boston? wtf is going on?

Sam, you okay?
CTrees

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before anyone gets that feeling of justice at the news one of the Boston bombing suspects has been killed, remember Richard Jewell.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was our dinner conversation last night.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get another Boston fester check in? What the fuck is going on out there?
Bart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever it is, it doesn't look very good. Does anyone know whether the people in the cordoned area have been evacuated ? A cornered terrorist in an area with lots of civilians seems like a recipe for disaster.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as of 57 minutes ago:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/19/boston-mit-shooting-campus-police-officer.html

Jesus christ what the fuck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 687, 688, 689 ... 824, 825, 826  Next
Page 688 of 826

Jump to: