welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1651, 1652, 1653 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took my first martial arts class since Thanksgiving. I made it all the way through class though I only did every other kick. It was a relaxed class with a forms focus (tournament coming up) but dammit I will not count that as a negative because it was my first class back in 6 fucking months. I stopped at one and that is good - I fee a bit tired and a tinsey bit sore but I. don't. hurt.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Really, can you see Star Tours too many times? Reply with quote

Two days of Legoland, a day of La Jolla and Mission Bay, and three days of Disneyland/California Adventure with friends and kids.

My Fitbit says I set personal records for number of steps taken in a day for two days running while at Disneyland.

Sleeping in my own bed.
mouse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude! wish i'd known you were in the neighborhood. but it sounds like you managed to keep occupied.
Dro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Really, can you see Star Tours too many times? Reply with quote

Usagi Miyamoto wrote:
Two days of Legoland, a day of La Jolla and Mission Bay, and three days of Disneyland/California Adventure with friends and kids.

My Fitbit says I set personal records for number of steps taken in a day for two days running while at Disneyland.

Sleeping in my own bed.

What did you think of Legoland? Something I've been considering.
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your kids like LEGO, they will like Legoland. Even if they don't care about LEGO, they will probably like Legoland. Practically everything is either made of or made to look like it is made of LEGO bricks, and there are plenty of things to do, enough to occupy an entire day or more if you want to. This was our third trip there with our ten-year-old; we went when the boy was five and eight previously.

Legoland targets a young crowd with most of the park attractions, ages two to twelve. It's more calm, spacious and open than the frenetic Disneyland, which seems like every inch has been stuffed with something or other to purchase or ride on by comparison. If the weather is poor by SoCal standards, you can consider it your lucky day, since it will probably be quite tolerable by PNW standards and the locals will stay home, leaving the park less crowded. Mornings were overcast and wet both days we were there, and that translated into just two or three minute waits for most rides, even when it cleared up later.

You can find plenty of tame rides appropriate for ages three to seven, and a few medium rides older kids will enjoy, culminating in the Technics roller coaster that the boy thought was the best ride there. I preferred the Dragon, which didn't have as much annoying side-to-side action, but sadly didn't have any big drops, either. The youngest kids' rides are concentrated on your left as you enter the park, but there are plenty more scattered around in other areas, too. None of the rides or walk-through attractions are scary, unlike dark rides in Disneyland like Snow White's Scary Adventure that can truly put the fear into a preschooler.

There are several areas where you can build things or watch things being built. On the West side near the water park entrance, there's a "factory tour" where you can see LEGO bricks being printed and packaged, and a demonstration stage where master builders show how to build things like the sculptures of people you see in the park. There's another area for building race cars you can try out on a sloped track, and one full of Duplo for younger builders. For third-graders and up, they have LEGO Mindstorms challenge sessions, where you can program a robot for an obstacle course. You sign up for a time slot, then come back to participate. And there's a building on the East side of Miniland where sometimes if you're lucky, you can see some of the master builders working on various creations.

We skipped the water park, since it was a bit cool when we were there, and we went in the Sealife aquarium for an hour when it was actually raining. The aquarium is fun enough, with lots of different creatures on exhibit, a "petting zoo" where you can touch sea stars and moon snails, and an area where you walk in a tunnel inside a big tank and watch the rays and sharks cruise overhead, and sometimes divers feeding fish and cleaning the plexiglas. It's a nice enough aquarium, though some other area aquariums are better. It's handy as a place to entertain yourselves for a while if the rain comes in, but I'd say it's safe to skip on a sunny day. Access to the aquarium and to the water park cost a bit extra.

You can find tickets online for about 20% off the price at the door with a second day's admission for free, and some packages of LEGO include coupons that let a kid in free with a full-fare adult. If you only go for one day, the coupon makes more sense than the online discount.
Black Kitty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band my friends and I made in our spare time debuted at the Talent Show yesterday. That's me on bass. :3

Vids or it didn't happen.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! Really!
There are very few things that are better than doing a live performance!

My pleasure, is that I got a rug today, and it really does tie the room together. Very Happy
Usagi Miyamoto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
dude! wish i'd known you were in the neighborhood. but it sounds like you managed to keep occupied.

Oh, yes. I thought of you once again while driving into La Jolla from Carlsbad where we stayed the first three nights, since I know you live and work around there, but we did in fact book ourselves pretty thoroughly with the boy's cousins and our various activities. My wife prefers more laid-back vacations, while I like having lots to do, so we alternate. This one was my style, packed with day-long theme parks and sight-seeing and beaches and getting wet. We'll be out on the Oregon coast in July for a vacation in her style, a leisurely few days of watching the surf from the deck of our rented house with occasional kite flying and s'mores making. It all works out.
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the legoland info. I think my kids would like it. I've been vowing to take more real vacations, rather than family visits, so have been stockpiling ideas.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how big of vacations you're planning, but if you ever find yourself in the North East, I'd suggest Hershey Park. There's the amusement park, but there's also an adjacent zoo, plus the yummy factory tour, which includes of course candy treats Razz

If your in NYC, I remember going to the National Museum of History and Hayden Planetarium for the first time when I was like 6 or 7 and loved it (I've been there three more times from ages 10-23) and still loved it every time. Also, dad, who knows, who you might get to bump into:

Also, the Bronx Zoo is ridiculously huge, as in it takes a day by itself. Also there's the USS Intrepid which also houses the space shuttle Enterprise.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall ded posting that he would be going to hershey park sometime around now. is that right, ded? how was it?

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome is how it was.

Max I had to wait on any line was 15-20 minutes.

I got some awful sunburn on my basement dwelling face, but it was worth it.

The Stormfront was crazy. 0 to 72mph in 2 seconds. Trying to keep a straight face for the photo was insanely difficult. Fahrenheit has a 10 story more than vertical drop, like it curved inwards on the way down, then the rest of the ride was twisty around loops and spins.

I was talking to a worker there and he was surprisingly knowledgeable about the rides, knew he name of the designers and random trivia. Apparently you don't need the safety harnesses on the Super Dooper Looper, the way it is designed centrifugal force is more than enough to keep you secure. I am not willing to test this though, but kudos to whoever does.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life has been pretty good for me. Work had to do some internal structuring, so that had one of the regular reporters heading over to a sister paper office while I took his place. That means more money, but we do not know how long it will last. Right now, I'm just happy that I'm getting more money.
The roses are in bloom, thanks to my care and love. I got lots of tomato plants that are growing like crazy, and one is already giving huge fruits.
I'm out of the Minecraft and into yarn again! I"m knitting up a storm and will finish loads of projects in the coming months.
Uhm...anything else? OH! I might be heading back to Chicago during the summer. Something about settling over there. Still, it's all up in the air. Very Happy

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still really bummed out about the whole dog adoption situation. However, they keep posting really happy pictures of her so I know she is well taken care of.

I just wish it was me she was having fun with.
Martian Kyo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog,I guess it's more my parents' dog since I move out, was pretty depressed/nervous refused to eat for past few days. Today she was in good mood

which put me into a good mood.

That's a really little pleasure in life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1651, 1652, 1653 ... 1722, 1723, 1724  Next
Page 1652 of 1724

Jump to: