welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody interested in signing a petition?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valerie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Anybody interested in signing a petition? Reply with quote

THERE IS ALSO POTENTIAL FOR DISCUSSION HERE, PLEASE DON'T BURN ME ALIVE. *cringes*

It's right here.

Here's the text, if you'd like to read before clicking:

Quote:
we petition the obama administration to:

Require doctors and other prescribers to type prescriptions instead of hand-writing them.

Hand-written prescriptions can, at times, cause trouble. People want to get their medicine so they can get home and take care of themselves and their families, but if a doctor's handwriting isn't clear enough, the pharmacy can't fill the prescription until the doctor has been contacted. Since doctor's offices are generally closed on weekends, this could potentially keep someone from getting their medicine for two or three days, in some cases.

By requiring doctors to type their prescriptions, we can make things much more convenient for the patients. It's a small, easy thing to do.

I work in a pharmacy as a tech, and lots of things need improvement, but I can't even begin to fix the rest of the things. D: This would be SO EASY to do, and it really would make life easier for the patients.

It's a US petition, so anyone outside of the US can't sign, I think, but feel free to join in the conversation.

- Have any of you had trouble from a prescription before?
- Do any of you work in a pharmacy? (Man, I thought food customers were angry... Shocked )
- What else do you think could be done to make pharmacies and prescriptions easier to deal with in the US? Personally, I think the computers need a total overhaul. The software we use at my pharmacy is a joke. A bad joke. Like, an offensive joke that isn't even funny. It's just bad.

Chat About
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, mine are typed. Hell, mine are auto called in from the doctor's office. Why aren't yours done that way?
Tiogshi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in BC, Canada, I've never seen a prescription that I could read. I'm not a tech, just a patient. And this terrifies me, knowing that one errant scribble or crossed line could mean the difference between being given Hydralazine and Hydroxyzine.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my doctor writes his prescriptions by hand because when he went to medical school, the cure for a headache was to drill a hole in the patient's skull to let the demons out, so convincing him to go paperless is probably completely futile

somehow the pharmacy always manages to decipher his scrawls, though
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I always thought prescriptions were typed and only signatures were written down. Weird that they don't do that everywhere.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anybody interested in signing a petition? Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
- What else do you think could be done to make pharmacies and prescriptions easier to deal with in the US?

fix the price.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isn't part of the affordable care act to get medical records computerized? my health-care system is totally computerized - all prescriptions are entered into the computer, and they go directly to the pharmacy's computer. this also means you can't lose the thing on the way to the pharmacy.

man, you just made me wonder how long it's been since i've actually been handed a written prescription. now i feel like i'm living in the future.

COME ON TO THE FUTURE, GUYS! YOU CAN'T GET KILLED BY A PHARMACIST MISREADING A PRESCRIPTION!
Valerie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Anybody interested in signing a petition? Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Valerie wrote:
- What else do you think could be done to make pharmacies and prescriptions easier to deal with in the US?

fix the price.

I will definitely second that, bro/sis.

Chat About
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
man, you just made me wonder how long it's been since i've actually been handed a written prescription. now i feel like i'm living in the future.

I was handed a physical Rx the other day and I didn't know what to do with it!
Finnegan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

many of my prescriptions (at least until recently) are considered controlled substances and can't be called in or sent electronically so I've never stopped dealing with the physical handwritten paper scripts. I think for that reason my doctors just found it easier to write out everything rather than having to deal with a mix of paper and electronic scripts. in the past two months though yeah it's all been electronic.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can never seem to read any prescriptions I get, but generally the doctor tells me verbally what he's prescribing me so I can double check that I'm receiving the proper medication. Push comes to shove, the pharmacist could always elect to call the doctor's office seeing as the doctor's patient records also show what scripts were given.

Also, the one time I was given prescription medication that was restricted (Codeine pain pills for a busted toe), it was given to me directly by the doctor in the emergency ward from the hospital pharmacy. AFAIK, direct issuing of medication like that while in the hospital is pretty common, as a couple friends of mine who've broken bones or gone through surgery also received their pills straight from the doctor.
Valerie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
I can never seem to read any prescriptions I get, but generally the doctor tells me verbally what he's prescribing me so I can double check that I'm receiving the proper medication. Push comes to shove, the pharmacist could always elect to call the doctor's office seeing as the doctor's patient records also show what scripts were given.

That is what I'm trying to avoid, here. People drop off their prescriptions on Friday, and we have to contact the doctor's office which is closed until Monday.

Chat About
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: