welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Girlscout Camp for Awesome People (Seeking volunteers/ideas)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Girlscout Camp for Awesome People (Seeking volunteers/ideas) Reply with quote

So, I don't know the best way to go about this, but our camp director has asked/authorized us to post her schpiel and/or get other people interested in the camp I volunteer at (And I think a *lot* of people in this forum would enjoy it. =) ). I'm also happy to answer questions, and will post my own take after this.
(Note: This is strictly volunteer stuff. But even if you can't volunteer, ideas are always welcome! Or just spreading it to other folks you think might be interested.)

Begin schpiel!

ATTENTION ALL AWESOME PEOPLE (if you've ever wanted to go to Hogwarts, please read and share with your friends)

Have you ever wished that you received your acceptance letter telling you that you were a wizard? You aren't alone! While we cannot offer you a real Hogwarts acceptance letter, we can offer you a second best alternative . . .the opportunity to become a professor at a wizarding school and help 100 enthusiastic Harry Potter fans live their dream life for a week. Hogwarts: The Summer Session is a week long overnight camp in Roanoke, VA for 100 girls ranging from 8 years old to 17 years old. We have campers (AKA students) that come from all over the United States. Our return rate for campers is over 85%, and our return rate for staff is over 80%. While all of our students are female, the counselors (AKA professors) are co-ed.

We are dedicated to recreating an experience that would have existed in the Harry Potter world by paying as much attention to detail as possible. During the months leading up to arrival day, we generate numerous Quibbler and Daily Prophet articles about events that are occurring in the wizarding world at this time. When the students arrive, they floo powder themselves into Diagon and Knockturn Alley so they can purchased their supplies after getting their money from Gringotts. Afterwards, the students are sorted into one of four houses during our sorting ceremony with our sorting hat. Since Hogwarts would have never met during the summer, we have created our own wandering wizarding school called Trefoil Academy of Magery and Sorcery for Gifted Young Witches and Wizards with its own distinct four houses. (More about the Academy history may be found at: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/anash/camp/hogwarts/pages/academy.htm ). Over the next several days, the students take a variety of classes (Potions, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Care of Magical Creatures, Transfiguration and more) and electives (Quidditch, Quadpot, Runology, Enchanting (belly dancing), Dueling Club etc). In the evening, students use their wands to battle dementors in the woods, explore/solve the riddle of Hogsmead and Shrieking Shack while going on other wizarding adventures. The highlight of the Summer Session is the interactive mystery that runs the whole week. The entire staff play suspicious characters in a who-dunnit mystery where the students are the stars.

About the volunteering:

Trefoil Academy is completely staffed and run by a group of dedicated, unpaid volunteers. We are a passionate group of geeks and nerds who strongly believe that marching to the beat of a different drum is optional when you can dance to the music of a pair of cymbals fashioned out of trash can lids and duck tape. Camp is more than just a fun way for kids to spend their summer. It is an opportunity for them to safely retreat to a welcoming and accepting community where they can discover what they are passionate about without fear of negativity from their peers. Imagination, resourcefulness and creativity are not just explored but strongly encouraged in all activities.

The following traits are what we look for in our fellow staff:
- responsible
- able to take initiative
- fun-loving and will join in with the campers. We are well-known for the quality of our staff for a good reason.
- great work ethic
- handles stress well
- able to work well with a group with limited amount of sleep (6-7 hrs avg)
- flexible
- enthusiastic and is able to get into the Harry Potter theme
- experience with kids/likes kids/doesn't mind working with 100+ Harry Potter geeks of all ages. This is essentially like a HP convention where everyone is larping.

Time commitments can range from a few hours, part time to even the entire time. We are seeking aid in the following positions:

* full time overnight professors (counselors)
* part time professors (counselors)
* kitchen staff - No experience necessary. Just the ability to follow instructions is needed.
* medical staff - We will be able to get you certified at professional CPR and first aid at a heavily discounted rate.

Training:
Depending on which position you choose influences the different trainings that are needed. If for some reason you are unable to attend a particular training, that is not a problem. I am willing to meet with people at other times or train via long distance methods. As long as you are not springing it on me a week before the camp goes live, I am usually very flexible.

* Training Part 1 (3/4's of a Saturday) - We review emergency procedures, academy policies, heath and safety standards, crash course in child psychology, recognizing and handing homesickness, recognizing and handing with bullying, and survival/thriving strategies for counselors.
* Staff Retreat (Overnight weekend) - This is optional but strongly encouraged. The staff retreat is a time where the four staff teams get an opportunity to meet each other and work together.
* Training Part 2 (3/4's of a Saturday) - We run a quicker refresher of training part 1 as well as review the program in detail.
* Professional Adult, Child, Infant CPR and First Aid (3/4's of a Saturday) - This is a level two certification in the GS and our head medical officer offers the training at a severe discount. If finances are a concern, arrangements can be made.

While all the positions are unpaid, there are several benefits:
- the chance to live your dream life. You create and role play out your character during that time
- the ability to make a difference in a child's life and see it. For many of our students, this is the only time they use their imagination and not be teased for it.
- looks awesome on a resume. In today's economy, businesses are looking for applicants that are willing to give back to the community
- join the tightest family community ever. I have worked at multiple camps, but I have never seen a community like this. There is a reason the books say the houses become your family, it is true!

If you end up volunteering with us, meals and accommodations will be provided of course. The site consist of 63 acres nestled in the mountains. It has flushing toilets and running hot water in addition to an archery range, swimming hole in the creek and a travel wall.

If you've read this far and are sill interested, please fill out the following preference survey ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHFFbTFndGFJeTlzd1ROZ2FxRFE3c2c6MQ#gid=0 ).
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Felgraf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, my take, and a few quick things which (I *think?*) weren't in the Schpiel:

Web address of the site itself:

https://filebox.vt.edu/users/anash/camp/hogwarts/

While Hogwarts a Summer Session is 'Set' at Hogwarts (in a sense), the actual academy is Trefoil Acadamey-The idea is that they are a traveling school which uses other academies during their off-seasons (the summer). Trefoil has its own houses that the Director made, though your 'character' need not come from such a house (indeed, they could be from hogwarts, the other schools named in the books, or your own made-up academy!). The houses, interestingly, *do* seem to all have their own unique 'personalities', though there is no real 'evil' house.

The director even created her own villain group, which are sort of like a wizarding Illuminati.

This would, if worst comes to worst, allow us to sever off all the Harry Potter parts. However, given that we are an all-volunteer camp, this is hopefully not going to be an issue.

This also allows us to craft our own plot lines and mysteries. (Mysteries are generally a camp-long 'event'/quest/thingy for the campers to solve, with clues often being hidden in the night while they are asleep.) We also tend to continue overarching plots from year to year, and build up to them with little articles posted on the camp website. (.. Probably because we are all slightly insane).

We have an INSANE ammount of interest. The free slots that aren't for returning campers (50, I think?). Tend to fill up in less than 48 hours. We have had interest in campers from *south Korea* (granted, an American living with her family on a military base) and some portions of africa (no idea if they were Americans living abroad or not).

I should note the director makes no money off of this camp. In fact, she makes anti-money: If the camp ever runs into the red, she is *personally responsible* for making up the difference (thankfully, this has never come close to happening).

Any questions (or suggestions/neat ideas/whatever), please feel free to ask. (PM's are OK too!)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: