welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-04-28: Cult of Masculinity
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronald

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the people bowed and prayed
To the neon god they'd made...
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethruin: you literally just came here to bitch and tell everyone how you're leaving? why is your life so pathetic and sad?
ethruin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aboutwhistles"]ethruin: you literally just came here to bitch and tell everyone how you're leaving? why is your life so pathetic and sad?[/quote]

Patriarchy.
Tank

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick needs to learn a thing or two from Alice. Travelling through mirrors is pretty much guaranteed to result in a bad trip.
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethruin wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
ethruin wrote:
-sigh-
Yup. Time to pack it in. This comic has stopped being funny in favor of the same old tired feminist cliches.
Whatever its his comic he can what he wants with it. But I feel like his talents as an artist and a comedian are being wasted on this soapbox.

I'm sure tat is going to be devastated to lose such an enlightened reader as yourself.

Sorry to hear that. Though I am sure he will get over it. In the mean time, I will happily make everyone Dude-Bro Tears Beer, now brewed with twice the Dude-Bro Tears. As an apology for offering my opinion on something. Since it has clearly upset some of you. And if those upset, do forgive me for being so bold, would please kindly cry into this bucket? Dude-Bro Tear Brew isn't going to brew itself. And do think some of us are getting thirsty.

I'm sorry... who are you, and why do you think we care what you think? Just because several people have commented on how insignificant you are, don't presume to think that we thus give a shit whether you stay or go. Don't mistake people talking to you with us valuing you in any way. You're an anonymous complainer on the internet... if you want us to care you'll have to rise above the level of a YouTube comment.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Don't mistake people talking to you with us valuing you in any way. You're an anonymous complainer on the internet... if you want us to care you'll have to rise above the level of a YouTube comment.

...He's filling the bingo cards at a previously unseen rate, though, so I need him for 3 or 4 more comments.
ethruin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dogen"][quote="ethruin"][quote="Finnegan"][quote="ethruin"].....
-sigh-
Yup. Time to pack it in. This comic has stopped being funny in favor of the same old tired feminist cliches.
Whatever its his comic he can what he wants with it. But I feel like his talents as an artist and a comedian are being wasted on this soapbox.[/quote]

I'm sure tat is going to be devastated to lose such an enlightened reader as yourself.[/quote]

Sorry to hear that. Though I am sure he will get over it. In the mean time, I will happily make everyone Dude-Bro Tears Beer, now brewed with twice the Dude-Bro Tears. As an apology for offering my opinion on something. Since it has clearly upset some of you. And if those upset, do forgive me for being so bold, would please kindly cry into this bucket? Dude-Bro Tear Brew isn't going to brew itself. And do think some of us are getting thirsty.[/quote]
I'm sorry... who are you, and why do you think we care what you think? Just because several people have commented on how [i]insignificant[/i] you are, don't presume to think that we thus [i]give a shit whether you stay or go[/i]. Don't mistake people talking to you with us valuing you in any way. You're an anonymous complainer on the internet... if you want us to care you'll have to rise above the level of a YouTube comment.[/quote]

The quoting, the ALL CAPS, and the swearing are kind of a tell. You know, some people do care. Hence my offer of Dude-Bro Tears Beer. Which still stands. And the bucket is almost full.

On a more serious note and a bit more on the topic of the comic page:
I find it offensive, heavy-handed, and just wrong. From the symbolism, MASCULINITY BAD, to the omissions, I pretty sure there are male homosexuals and trans people who either start out male or are becoming male (no hate for them right? Its why they are not in the pit-o-doom, right?),and to the implied statements, "MEN MUST BE TRAINED TO BE GOOD PEOPLE" and "MEN ONLY THINK WITH THEIR DICKS", and the PATRIARCHY at the center of it all, lording over everyone like a massive erect cock; it just smacks of a bad political cartoon.
ethruin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Leohan"][quote="Dogen"]Don't mistake people talking to you with us valuing you in any way. You're an anonymous complainer on the internet... if you want us to care you'll have to rise above the level of a YouTube comment.[/quote]
...He's filling the bingo cards at a previously unseen rate, though, so I need him for 3 or 4 more comments.[/quote]

Here let me help you,

-clears throat-

MISANDRY!!!!

How many more do you have left?
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that society tries to enforce males to be "masculine" via peer pressure wouldn't be a bad thing if it didn't involve so many negative qualities to begin with. They should be more concerned about suppressing violence, instead of forcing people not to cry, for example.

Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traditional symbol for masculinity has, in recent times, become less a general symbol for man and more synonymous with machismo.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
SweetRevenge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wanted to let you know that Pol on 4chan is talking about this webcomic right now.

https://boards.4chan.org/pol/res/13422700
Tank

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
The fact that society tries to enforce males to be "masculine" via peer pressure wouldn't be a bad thing if it didn't involve so many negative qualities to begin with.

Can't say I agree. Enforcing strict cultural norms, even nominally neutral ones, can really limit human wellbeing and happiness, in my opinion.
Leohan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethruin wrote:
Leohan wrote:
Dogen wrote:
Don't mistake people talking to you with us valuing you in any way. You're an anonymous complainer on the internet... if you want us to care you'll have to rise above the level of a YouTube comment.

...He's filling the bingo cards at a previously unseen rate, though, so I need him for 3 or 4 more comments.

Here let me help you,

-clears throat-

MISANDRY!!!!

How many more do you have left?

I need 1 for a row, one for another row and two for a column... And it's just page 2!

Thanks for the help. I might win by page 3 ^^
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:
The fact that society tries to enforce males to be "masculine" via peer pressure wouldn't be a bad thing if it didn't involve so many negative qualities to begin with.

Can't say I agree. Enforcing strict cultural norms, even nominally neutral ones, can really limit human well-being and happiness, in my opinion.

Just as we see it in its current form, people being in turmoil with their physical appearance and personality traits, never being capable of living up to what others expect you to be based on what they've culturally learned what is supposedly perfect.

The only winning move is not to play, in this case. Or, play by your own rules. Trying to define what a person's personality should be like is a nonsensical quarrel, tilting at windmills.

I don't like the idea of enforcing thoughts and beliefs on people (hence why I approve of how Tat is fighting against patriarchal beliefs), but I think if there is one thing that would be worth suppressing maybe even in a centralized manner, is physical violence. The people who harm others physically neglect the fact that the pain and damage they cause might cripple the other forever, and they don't even feel bad about it.
They think it's something they can do. They shouldn't think this is an option.
Vancore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ethruin wrote:
Dogen wrote:
ethruin wrote:
Finnegan wrote:
ethruin wrote:
-sigh-
Whatever its his comic he can what he wants with it. But I feel like his talents as an artist and a comedian are being wasted on this soapbox.

I'm sure tat is going to be devastated to lose such an enlightened reader as yourself.

Sorry to hear that. Though I am sure he will get over it. In the mean time, I will happily make everyone Dude-Bro Tears Beer, now brewed with twice the Dude-Bro Tears. As an apology for offering my opinion on something. Since it has clearly upset some of you. And if those upset, do forgive me for being so bold, would please kindly cry into this bucket? Dude-Bro Tear Brew isn't going to brew itself. And do think some of us are getting thirsty.

I'm sorry... who are you, and why do you think we care what you think? Just because several people have commented on how insignificant you are, don't presume to think that we thus give a shit whether you stay or go. Don't mistake people talking to you with us valuing you in any way. You're an anonymous complainer on the internet... if you want us to care you'll have to rise above the level of a YouTube comment.

The quoting, the ALL CAPS, and the swearing are kind of a tell. You know, some people do care. Hence my offer of Dude-Bro Tears Beer. Which still stands. And the bucket is almost full.

On a more serious note and a bit more on the topic of the comic page:
I find it offensive, heavy-handed, and just wrong. From the symbolism, MASCULINITY BAD, to the omissions, I pretty sure there are male homosexuals and trans people who either start out male or are becoming male (no hate for them right? Its why they are not in the pit-o-doom, right?),and to the implied statements, "MEN MUST BE TRAINED TO BE GOOD PEOPLE" and "MEN ONLY THINK WITH THEIR DICKS", and the PATRIARCHY at the center of it all, lording over everyone like a massive erect cock; it just smacks of a bad political cartoon.

Its just the way the story goes, Tat found a theme that he finally wanted to talk about as a story for his comic after like 8 years of random stuff. Yes its pretty political at times but at least its not a story about environmentalism. I'd totally bail on this comic if Tat ever said anything about that. Nothing sickens me more then not being able to pollute as much as I want to, if Tat told me "Stop that's bad" I'd probably jump from my 2 story apartment in rage. Then have a few choice comments on the forum afterwords... cause, anger.

Anyways I was sure I was trying to make a point somewhere... o yea, Did anybody get that Awesome 1984 apple commercial reference!!!! Badass!!! Even though it was missing something...

and the slick/kcils mystery thickens...

Last edited by Vancore on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: