welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Mixed Bag
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1094, 1095, 1096 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Desire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Even though the bears are awake (and climbing in our car if we leave the door open o.0) and the birds are back (at least some of them) we are still getting snow and icy rain and our temperatures are in the 30's still (F). It is actually snowing again as I type this.

+ On the other hand, the sky is light at 4:30 am now and doesn't get dark until after 8:30 pm!

- Graeme had to travel for work up to Anchorage for a couple weeks within the last couple of months, which meant Rhett's routines got way off and I had very little free time.

+ While he was away, I got to have lots of one-on-one time with my little guy!

- Seasonal change has brought the normal depression with it (there's more sunshine, damn it, make some sense!).

+ But the extra sunlight has not brought the usual increase in migraines (knock wood).

- On the other hand, the sinus virus that is going around (yay for a mostly closed community) kicked my ass for well over a week.

+ While it is not completely gone, I can now look at computer screens without blinding pain in/behind my eyes.

p.s. I am still around!

- I do sometimes get weeks at a time where I avoid people and isolate myself

+ but I will not be going away for years at a time (hopefully that is a plus ;D).
Atrophy Annie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
+ but I will not be going away for years at a time (hopefully that is a plus ;D).

Definite plus!
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
- Even though the bears are awake (and climbing in our car if we leave the door open o.0)

please tell me that at least they haven't learned to drive.

and yes, it is a plus that you will be around more. for one thing, you can keep us apprised of the bear situation.

damn, stephen colbert is getting control of my fear response.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Desire wrote:
- Even though the bears are awake (and climbing in our car if we leave the door open o.0)

please tell me that at least they haven't learned to drive.

and yes, it is a plus that you will be around more. for one thing, you can keep us apprised of the bear situation.

damn, stephen colbert is getting control of my fear response.

Who is driving? Bear is driving! HOW CAN THAT BE?!
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Desire

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patty and mouse <3

Mouse, they can not drive yet to my knowledge, but they are plenty scary enough, off the road. ;p

I am a South Jersey girl, I know how to watch out for and avoid human predators. These bears terrify me. Some bears you need to stand tall (I'm only 5'2" on a good day Shocked), raise your arms up and try to act bigger and scarier then them to scare them away, others you need to stay still and not move at all. We mostly have the former, but I am told, also some of the latter....

I am seriously way more scared of these bears then I ever was of being mugged or car-jacked! We basically live on a mountain side though and the entrance to one of the hiking trails is just a few houses away, so we have visits from the bears more often then I like to think about. We had at least one bear visit in our last house too, even though that one was less then a block from a main road and lots of shops/motels/inns, so there are bears pretty much everywhere up here. Just more when you are right against the forest. Very Happy
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
+ On the other hand, the sky is light at 4:30 am now and doesn't get dark until after 8:30 pm!

are you sure that's a positive? That would drive me crazy! Admittedly mostly because of my migraines, I'm glad it doesn't seem to be triggering yours (more wood knocking).

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Desire

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:

are you sure that's a positive? That would drive me crazy! Admittedly mostly because of my migraines, I'm glad it doesn't seem to be triggering yours (more wood knocking).

Well, in the winter we get to a point where it is only light out for four hours a day so after months of very little sunlight and frequent overcast/stormy weather, I am always surprisingly happy to see the sky getting lighter earlier every morning and staying light later every night. By the forth of July, they have to hold the fireworks until midnight because the sky is just not dark enough until then.

lt rains here 2/3's of the year, so there are not a huge number of sunny days anyway. Spring has triggered horrible migraines for me every year since I've been up here (this is the sixth) until my head can adjust to extra light. I suspect, I may just be getting a delay this year though as we are still having snow and overcast weather a lot so we will see how the season progresses, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Back in Jersey I hated all the sun in the summer especially. It was horrible on my head, though the fluorescent lights at work were worse. I actively avoided going outside on sunny days in Jersey. Up here, I seem to have come around to the local ways, in that, you have to enjoy any sunny days you get while you have them!

Much worse is the fall when the days get darker earlier day-by-day. By September, I am dreading seeing each day shrink. My seasonal issues are much worse in the fall, they were in jersey too, but up here is is the the darkness starts to seep in from the outside into your soul. So although this time of year usually brings pain, I have learned to anticipate it and be happy for it. Not that I could have believed I would have, seven years ago.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
Back in Jersey I hated all the sun in the summer especially. It was horrible on my head, though the fluorescent lights at work were worse. I actively avoided going outside on sunny days in Jersey.

I'm the same way, that's why the idea of a place that is predominately overcast or has extended periods of darkness has always appealed to me.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
My seasonal issues are much worse in the fall, they were in jersey too, but up here is is the the darkness starts to seep in from the outside into your soul.

So... 30 Days of Night is not the comic for you...

Yes, do please stick around!

+ I signed up for weekly veggies through a CSA (community supported agricultural).
- $360 up front. I know that it isn't a ton of money but I totally wouldn't have done it if my tax return hadn't come in.
+/- I am at least partially doing this so we eat more veggies. This is kinda a backwards approach because it is typical that we let veggies go bad. BUT veggies available means we'll eat them more. Theoretically.
+ $15 a week for all the veggies we can eat (and I am certain that there will be way more than enough).

DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Who is driving? Bear is driving! HOW CAN THAT BE?!

Him

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Nice weather!
- Pollen allergy just hit me like a hammer
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ Lots of holidays are coming up!
- I'm sleepy now.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Desire wrote:
Back in Jersey I hated all the sun in the summer especially. It was horrible on my head, though the fluorescent lights at work were worse. I actively avoided going outside on sunny days in Jersey.

I'm the same way, that's why the idea of a place that is predominately overcast or has extended periods of darkness has always appealed to me.

During summer I wait for fall the way school kids wait for summer. But it is overcast most of the time in the PNW, so summer is like...one week of sunshine.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
+ I signed up for weekly veggies through a CSA (community supported agricultural).
- $360 up front. I know that it isn't a ton of money but I totally wouldn't have done it if my tax return hadn't come in.
+/- I am at least partially doing this so we eat more veggies. This is kinda a backwards approach because it is typical that we let veggies go bad. BUT veggies available means we'll eat them more. Theoretically.
+ $15 a week for all the veggies we can eat (and I am certain that there will be way more than enough).[/color]

yay, csas! one thing - the veggies you get in a csa are a _lot_ fresher than what you get in the supermarket, which means they last longer. so you should have a bit longer to use them up. and always remember:
1) you can make soup out of just about anything.
2) pickles are a lot easier to make than you might think. and you can pickle a surprising number of things in a surprising number of ways (i think i have about 1/2 dozen recipes just for pickled carrots).
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Lasairfiona wrote:
+ $15 a week for all the veggies we can eat (and I am certain that there will be way more than enough).[/color]

yay, csas! one thing - the veggies you get in a csa are a _lot_ fresher than what you get in the supermarket, which means they last longer. so you should have a bit longer to use them up. and always remember:
1) you can make soup out of just about anything.
2) pickles are a lot easier to make than you might think. and you can pickle a surprising number of things in a surprising number of ways (i think i have about 1/2 dozen recipes just for pickled carrots).

Pickled carrots are awesome. I like them with a bit of garlic and jalapeno.

I too signed up for a CSA which should be starting soon. I think beginning of June.

4 units veggies a week. A unit is about 2 pounds of tomatoes, 6 ears of corn, etc.

I pick them up from the local green market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1094, 1095, 1096 ... 1131, 1132, 1133  Next
Page 1095 of 1133

Jump to: