welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[4/30/13] I'm Perfectly Safe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reader1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Reader1 wrote:
Valarie wrote:
If you realize that what you're doing is bothering someone, and you make a conscious decision not to do anything differently, then you are intentionally acting in a way that you know bothers that person.

True, but is that always wrong? (again, transitioning to nit-picky ethics)

I'm not sure that would ever be RIGHT. What the hell kind of question is that?

nit-picky ethics, they can be reeeeeeealy fun when you have either someone with a rigidly defined moral view or a short fuse. (hopefully this doesn't devolve into trolling... we might want to stop now) suffice to say there are cases: It bothers a prisoner to be put in jail, it bothers an athlete when theyíre beaten, it bothers a person when theyíre told they canít drive anymore because they didnít pass the exam, it hurts someone when theyíre broken up withÖ but none of those things are really wrong. Being overly nice and self-sacrificing, while usually great characteristics, can turn into self-degradation. you may wind up the worlds door mat and thatís not good either.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

none of which is relevant to your suggestion that there are times when it isn't wrong to knowingly and intentionally sexually harass someone
Reader1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
none of which is relevant to your suggestion that there are times when it isn't wrong to knowingly and intentionally sexually harass someone

1. i never said that(if you think i did you very likely misinterpreted me. if you think i overlooked something quote me, tell me what you think i said, and i'll reply)

2. as i stated earlier i transitioned
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh

Reader1 wrote:
Valarie wrote:
If you realize that what you're doing is bothering someone, and you make a conscious decision not to do anything differently, then you are intentionally acting in a way that you know bothers that person.

substitute in "sexual harassment" for "bothering someone," because sexual harassment does in fact bother the people who are being sexually harassed and hey y'know what it's what you were actually talking about, and yes, that is what you're saying.

inb4 Reader1 pulls the devil's advocate card to try to save face
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obfuscate obfuscate derail obfuscate

Shadowcell, are you sure you know anything? Because we may live in a universe where words have no meaning, and after all, what is experience anyway?

Just sayin'.
[/very illustrative devil's advocate]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
uh

Reader1 wrote:
Valarie wrote:

substitute in "sexual harassment" for "bothering someone," because sexual harassment does in fact bother the people who are being sexually harassed and hey y'know what it's what you were actually talking about, and yes, that is what you're saying.

you directly put words in my mouth and then ask me to defend the new position YOU'VE now created for me? ... i don't even know how to respond to this.(i'll try though)

who knows what i believe better than I do? if you donít trust my understanding of what I believe in, then youíd be an incredible fool to take me seriously in the first place. I donít lie to myself to feel good, and why do I need to lie in a forum to a person iíll never meet? No matter what I say to you or anyone else here there arenít any consequences to me. what reason do I have to lie? If worse came to worse and the forum turned on me, all Iíd have to do is make a new profile and Iíd get a fresh start, no strings attached.

Do you actually care what I think? If you do Iíd appreciate it if youíd take what I say seriously. If you donítÖ why ask me to justify myself at all?
Reader1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
obfuscate obfuscate derail obfuscate

Shadowcell, are you sure you know anything? Because we may live in a universe where words have no meaning, and after all, what is experience anyway?

Just sayin'.
[/very illustrative devil's advocate]

weeeeeell, maybe alittle Wink...

but yeah, in all seriousness, i do have a tendency to do that. sorry if that gets to you, it sorta just happens
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
The best men are the ones who actively avoid women (in public) (that they don't know). CONTEXT.

Perhaps women should follow a similar ruleset, because I'll be damned if I'm going to cross the street to avoid every woman I'd pass on the sidewalk.

Also I think we can all concur that walls of text are fucking horrifying to read through.

Edit: in hindsight that came out as more vitriolic than I intended.
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:
The best men are the ones who actively avoid women (in public) (that they don't know). CONTEXT.

Perhaps women should follow a similar ruleset, because I'll be damned if I'm going to cross the street to avoid every woman I'd pass on the sidewalk.

We often do. Here's the difference, though (keep in mind this is all general):

If a woman crosses the street because she feels uncomfortable, it's because she feels uncomfortable enough to be perceived as rude. This is harder for some people than others, because women are "supposed" to be nice/polite/etc.

If a man crosses the street because he thinks a woman feels uncomfortable, it's because he is being considerate of her feelings, and that's awesome.

And really, it only becomes scary (again, in general) if there's no one else around and/or if it's at night. So it's not that every woman you pass will be scared. Razz

Chat About
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader1 wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:
uh

Reader1 wrote:
Valerie wrote:

you directly put words in my mouth and then ask me to defend the new position YOU'VE now created for me?

I think there was a misunderstanding, here. Reader1, you thought I was being more general than I meant to be, because my wording was not as tight as it could have been. I thought the context of the conversation was enough to suggest that I meant harrassment specifically.

So, now that you know what I meant, could you respond to me as though I had said it that way the first time, please?

Chat About
Rune

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:

Also I think we can all concur that walls of text are fucking horrifying to read through.

Edit: in hindsight that came out as more vitriolic than I intended.

Do you know how many behaviors women already change and engage in every single day in order to avoid threatening, frightening, and potentially dangerous situations?

I can just repeat what Valarie said, and what I've been saying from the beginning of this conversation. Be aware of the context. No one is even asking you to cross the street for -every- woman you cross paths with, but we might be asking you to do so if you cross paths with a woman alone on a dark or deserted stretch. There are other cues you can watch for, too, like if she's hurrying, head down, shoulders forward, or other expressions and non-verbal cues that might indicate fear or a desire to just be out of the situation.
Rune

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
If a woman crosses the street because she feels uncomfortable, it's because she feels uncomfortable enough to be perceived as rude. This is harder for some people than others, because women are "supposed" to be nice/polite/etc.

There's also the fact that the woman doesn't know how the man is regarding her, and if supposed rude behavior will be the excuse he uses to decide to do something to her in retaliation for not being "nice." This is a thing. One of the things that entitled jerks tend to feel entitled to is "niceness" towards them from women, even when they themselves are being pushy idiots, and they will use it to corner women if they can, and as an excuse for escalation if they don't get it.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depresses me to see all these well meaning newbies wasting their text like this.

I really recommend you guys simply read the past posts of people before trying to engage them.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
It depresses me to see all these well meaning newbies wasting their text like this.

I really recommend you guys simply read the past posts of people before trying to engage them.

Eh, on the internet, it's not always for the person I'm actually talking to. Sometimes it's for the viewers at home.
Yomi

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick and Sleaze aren't the same. and yet at other times, they are.

http://sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2012-12-02.gif
see the last panel off to the right?

http://sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2012-11-03.gif

and then here...

http://sinfest.net/comikaze/comics/2013-01-15.gif

Last edited by Yomi on Sat May 04, 2013 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: