welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-05: Grand Theft Nation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Phox



Joined: 11 Mar 2013
Posts: 21

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ideals of the nation set against the realism of what the nation has become and must do to continue or what it thinks it must do to continue.

Dunno what to say here, what i see is liberty looking at a video game and having a moment of not differentiating between reality and what you do in your day to day life and what you do to blow off steam in escapism. For example i know a 12 year old choir boy who does a lot of volunteer work and is a really nice person in his public life! I have never heard more racist and hateful things come out of any living person's mouth when he plays modern warfare online.

Still is sam mad? is he more "wtf?" I'm willing to bet at the end he doesn't know what he did wrong
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cactuar



Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
Leohan wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:
Yes, and if it weren't a game, she'd have a point. In this case however, I can't side with her in any way, because she's just throwing a tantrum over something stupid, and ruining Sam's progress for no valid reason. And even for the tantrum, it would be okay, if it weren't for the method.

I don't like saying this, but she's being a total b*tch at this point.

The metaphor... It went so over your head it's incredible.

But besides that, Liberty's clearly concerned about Sam. She sees that for him it's not only a game. It's a fantasy. He wants to be the avatar, as hinted in panel 5.


Well, violence in videogames has always been a persistent question. However, I can clearly see that "video game" here is the same thing as "porn" in the previous strip, which is a bit surprising to mash together.

But, it's not the game's fault that Sam "wants to be that avatar". There is no one else to blame but him. With a past like this, I'm surprised Liberty ended up with him.


I do think "video games" and "porn" in the previous strip are serving the same function in their respective strips. I don't think you've understood what that function is, at all.

this isn't a strip about how video games in general or even GTA in specific are bad. It's a strip about how police states, imperialism and human rights abuses are bad, and how Liberty, being Liberty, is opposed to and disturbed by Sam's desire to do those things.

And there's no "irony" in that or whatever, believing in Liberty does not equate to believing in the "freedom" to oppress others. Of course she's opposed, that doesn't make her controlling. It makes her opposed to oppressive control and Sam's desire to wield it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crayven



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video games are "evil" ?

OR

A daily life of the american imperial machine ?

Either way "liberty" looks more and more like "censorship" to me.
Porn is bad - get punished for watching it.
Video games are bad, get punished for playing them.

Next in line probably breathing is bad, stop doing it. Moral crusaders everywhere...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crayven



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:

She's always about control control control. She's not lying like Sam, but DAMN is she controlling. She seems to have issues with everything.


Speaking of which, it's somewhat odd that she is "Liberty", and yet to achieve her ways, all she does is take control and enforce limitation.
Isn't this a paradox?


oooohhh i am not alone in noticing the irony Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crayven



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 267

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
"Control"???

...by unplugging the game and walking away in a huff?

Pretty obvious to me he can turn the thing right back on again.

He can play at all the torture and war that he wants. It's just that Liberty will have nothing to do with it.

I'm surprised some of the dudebros around here are so dense they can't figure that out.


If liberty "wil have nothing to do with it" she should have just got up and LEFT , not fuck his game up and then leave.
If i don't like your ideas i don't smash up your car and then walk away.

Funny how everyone who disagrees with you is automatically a "dudebro", whatever the hell that means.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cactuar



Joined: 10 Oct 2011
Posts: 105

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phox wrote:
The ideals of the nation set against the realism of what the nation has become and must do to continue or what it thinks it must do to continue.

Dunno what to say here, what i see is liberty looking at a video game and having a moment of not differentiating between reality and what you do in your day to day life and what you do to blow off steam in escapism. For example i know a 12 year old choir boy who does a lot of volunteer work and is a really nice person in his public life! I have never heard more racist and hateful things come out of any living person's mouth when he plays modern warfare online.

Still is sam mad? is he more "wtf?" I'm willing to bet at the end he doesn't know what he did wrong


First of all, it's really not possible to keep your bigotry from showing in your actions in some way, so I wouldn't say it's OK to be a bigot as long as you try to hide it. I don't mean it's not OK in the sense that we should string people up for thought crime, I mean it's not OK in the sense that it's unethical and one should strive to be conscious and improve.

But that's all supposing that video game communities are some kind of fantasy world that doesn't affect real people and that's bullshit. Like, 50% of gamers are PoC and/or women. You think being subjected to that environment just because you want to enjoy a hobby is acceptable? Do you think blithely and callously subjecting your fellow humans to that kind of treatment for your own mild amusement is acceptable? Well, that's kind of fucked up.

Gamer communities are communities of real people. Real people are being harmed by behavior like that and it's not cute or insignificant.

And it doesn't matter that the individual in question might be a child. If 12 year old brown children and 12 year old girl children and 12 year old queer children are old enough to be harmed by bigotry, then 12 year old white/male/straight children are old enough to learn that there are(or should be) consequences for being a bigot, and that it's wrong to treat people like that.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2721
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahahahaha this thread hahaha

Liberty is against the oppression of other countries and people? So surprising! So shocking! What is wrong with her? Does her name mean freedom or something? Pffffffffff.

Also laughing at the 'it's just a game' nonsense. Brb, I'll make a game with black women who beat up white guys and cut off their dicks. Why so offended? It's just a game!
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fritterdonut



Joined: 24 Jul 2012
Posts: 1184
Location: Hedonism

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to start off this argument:

Studies have not proven a conclusive link connecting violent video games with real-life aggression. A lot of studies on both sides have been poorly undertaken and/or are biased. However, the FBI currently does not believe that video games cause violence and aren't taken into account when profiling a typical shooter.

Secondly, the point people seem to be missing is that this comic isn't about playing a video game (making my previous statement moot anyways). The problem is that Sam aspires to be like his video game counterpart - and is most of the way there, to be honest. And therein lies the problem - Sam doesn't play the game for enjoyment, or to escape to a fantasy world; he plays it because he aspires to turn real life into that fantasy.

tl;dr: Enjoying violent video games isn't bad, but aspiring to be like them is.
_________________
To get things done, you must love the doing, not the secondary consequences. The work, not the people. Your own action, not any possible object of your charity.
-Howard Roark, The Fountainhead
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jody



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Jody wrote:
"Control"???

...by unplugging the game and walking away in a huff?

Pretty obvious to me he can turn the thing right back on again.

He can play at all the torture and war that he wants. It's just that Liberty will have nothing to do with it.

I'm surprised some of the dudebros around here are so dense they can't figure that out.


If liberty "wil have nothing to do with it" she should have just got up and LEFT , not fuck his game up and then leave.
If i don't like your ideas i don't smash up your car and then walk away.

Funny how everyone who disagrees with you is automatically a "dudebro", whatever the hell that means.


Yes, because unplugging a game he can turn right back on is analogous to destroying personal property.

Keep making those leaps in logic. It really helps your argument, lol.

And it doesn't surprise me in the least that you'd have no idea what a dudebro is. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jody



Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Hahahahahaha this thread hahaha

Liberty is against the oppression of other countries and people? So surprising! So shocking! What is wrong with her? Does her name mean freedom or something? Pffffffffff.

Also laughing at the 'it's just a game' nonsense. Brb, I'll make a game with black women who beat up white guys and cut off their dicks. Why so offended? It's just a game!


I like you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yinello



Joined: 10 May 2012
Posts: 2721
Location: Behind you

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
Yinello wrote:
Hahahahahaha this thread hahaha

Liberty is against the oppression of other countries and people? So surprising! So shocking! What is wrong with her? Does her name mean freedom or something? Pffffffffff.

Also laughing at the 'it's just a game' nonsense. Brb, I'll make a game with black women who beat up white guys and cut off their dicks. Why so offended? It's just a game!


I like you.


I like you because you like me. Cool
_________________
Help. Help, my eyes are stuck from rolling so hard. Help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CalmBlueSea



Joined: 12 Apr 2013
Posts: 143
Location: Massachusetts

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Also laughing at the 'it's just a game' nonsense. Brb, I'll make a game with black women who beat up white guys and cut off their dicks. Why so offended? It's just a game!


If you were to make it with tongue set firmly in cheek, I would play the shit out of this game.

But, yeah, I agree with the essence of what you're saying.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zhuinden



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 286

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
crayven wrote:
Jody wrote:
"Control"???

...by unplugging the game and walking away in a huff?

Pretty obvious to me he can turn the thing right back on again.

He can play at all the torture and war that he wants. It's just that Liberty will have nothing to do with it.

I'm surprised some of the dudebros around here are so dense they can't figure that out.


If liberty "wil have nothing to do with it" she should have just got up and LEFT , not fuck his game up and then leave.
If i don't like your ideas i don't smash up your car and then walk away.

Funny how everyone who disagrees with you is automatically a "dudebro", whatever the hell that means.


Yes, because unplugging a game he can turn right back on is analogous to destroying personal property.

Keep making those leaps in logic. It really helps your argument, lol.


Technically, she ruins the result of gameplay time from the last save point. While a 12 year old probably won't use their time to earn enough to afford a car in this amount of time, she's still ruining the result of time investment (and time can be money), so yes, she screws stuff up in the same manner as setting a car on fire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vancore



Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Posts: 107

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:

Also laughing at the 'it's just a game' nonsense. Brb, I'll make a game with black women who beat up white guys and cut off their dicks. Why so offended? It's just a game!


I can make a black woman who beats up a lot of white men while wielding a large purple dick bat in Saints Row 3, does that count?

Also, I believe someone's ripping off Tat here. or not, probably not. But damn it all if that isn't the Sam represented most... although this one could be a black woman as well if you wanted it to be like that.

o and one more thing


Last edited by Vancore on Sun May 05, 2013 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SA_Penguin



Joined: 13 Feb 2011
Posts: 229
Location: Adelaide

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'd like to see:

Xanthe inserts virus into game. Play gets changed, and you end up with Gay Guy holding Sam in his arms.
The same words: "To the victor go the spoils"

Cut to Sam's expression of "WHAT THE..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group