welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-05: Grand Theft Nation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reader1 wrote:

my mind went straight to negligence to be honest, whether that was in the form of letting Sam get his hands on the game without them knowing or buying the game without checking/caring what it was about. saying they might approve of the game puts a whole new sort of awful twist on it. that's clearly an M rated game, 17 and up. while i understand that parents are the final say on what their children are ready to handle, in Sam's case this isn't something HE should be playing. either he's using it to live out a fantasy he already agrees with or he's being influenced by it further. neither of those can be GOOD for him.

ok, you do realized that only one (1) character in sinfest has been shown to have a parent currently in the picture in any way, shape or form and that character is li'l e and his parent is literally the devil?
mouse

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Also let's not forget her name is LIBERTY and yet she DENIES THE LIBERTY of Sam to play his game.

wait - you are actually wayne la pierre, aren't you? i'm guessing that since the game involves gun, you figure playing it is one of your second amendment rights.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Reader1 wrote:

my mind went straight to negligence to be honest, whether that was in the form of letting Sam get his hands on the game without them knowing or buying the game without checking/caring what it was about. saying they might approve of the game puts a whole new sort of awful twist on it. that's clearly an M rated game, 17 and up. while i understand that parents are the final say on what their children are ready to handle, in Sam's case this isn't something HE should be playing. either he's using it to live out a fantasy he already agrees with or he's being influenced by it further. neither of those can be GOOD for him.

ok, you do realized that only one (1) character in sinfest has been shown to have a parent currently in the picture in any way, shape or form and that character is li'l e and his parent is literally the devil?

Jesus has a dad!

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Reader1 wrote:

Ok, I'm not him, obviously, but if the characters in Sinfest really do age, as this comic and others suggest, then surely they must have come from someone. Unless one day they just magically sprouted from the tip of Tat's pen-ok-that-actually-would-make-a-kind-of-sense. Considering that Tat has an in-comic avatar and everything.

I guess Sinfest characters only have parents if it is convenient or necessary for the plot?

But, I'm thinking we might end up seeing more origin stories, now. Many of the problems that are tackled in Sinfest nowadays are behaviors that are ingrained in people since childhood, so it seems only prudent to cover that aspect of society.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mouse said 'parent currently in the pictute.' If Nique or Slick or anyone else has parents, they don't talk to them on-screen.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Cactuar, are those kids highschool aged? Because Newt was talking about very young kids. I am pretty sure he also referenced inner city kids, aka black children.

Elementary and Middle School, both. I don't teach high school (and only visit the Elementary once a week). The Elementary school does it with slightly larger groups, mixing young kids with older ones.

And lol, of course he did. It's Newt. Those guys, always with their coy euphemisms about who exactly it is they mean when they talk about those people. The ones who are poor because they are lazy and "takers" etc. And then every once and a while, they slip...

Remember that time Santorum was talking about "Bla-" People? I mean he stops himself halfway through and then swears up and down that he did just mean "Blah People" and everyone is jumping to crazy conclusions, unnecessarily bringing race into things.

Fun times.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every so often I remember Santorum and Blah people, and I laugh a tiny laugh to myself.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without reading all the preceding posts:

Liberty is complicated. It's not an all-or-nothing thing. We're perpetually balancing individual liberty against the liberty of others. For example, I don't have the liberty to walk around my neighborhood unclothed, and this isn't an infringement of my unalienable rights or anything like that.

Nor is liberty the same as approval. Sam can play any game he likes. Lady Liberty isn't going to want him arrested or locked up for playing games. But I hope each of us would say something to our kids if we found they delighted in conquest and rape.
Kendra

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
If that makes anyone feel better, I was serious about how pulling out the plug is unproductive, considering Sam will not learn from his mistake - he has no idea why Liberty pulled it out. Probably talking to him about it wouldn't have much effect on him, but that's still a better option than just rushing out of the room with the message 'okay I've had enough of this', if the character at hand is as dense as Sam, who has absolutely no idea "why". So the real problem is that, even with Liberty's 'action', nothing changes.

While I can see your point of view when it comes to the physical character of liberty, the symbolism of liberty cannot outright tell Uncle Sam that what he is doing is wrong. Liberty is an ideal created by the American dream, the ideal of personal and community freedom and peace towards others. It's kind of difficult to explain, since Liberty symbolizes America's ideal and Corporate Uncle Sam represents America's current culture and situation. Tat's trying really hard to put ideas into characters, which I admit has it's problems however much I love it and find it ingenious. I think what Tat is saying in this comic and with the relationship between Liberty and Corporate Uncle Sam as a whole, is that America has lost sight of true liberty. And however much liberty tries to help us, nothing will truly be done unless WE, Corporate Uncle Sam, can face what is happening and understand that what we are doing as a nation is wrong. We've strayed so far from 'Liberty', that it's only up to us to come back to her if we so choose. However, if we stay on our current path we may be separated from liberty completely.
That's my opinion, anyway. Smile
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kendra wrote:
Zhuinden wrote:
If that makes anyone feel better, I was serious about how pulling out the plug is unproductive, considering Sam will not learn from his mistake - he has no idea why Liberty pulled it out. Probably talking to him about it wouldn't have much effect on him, but that's still a better option than just rushing out of the room with the message 'okay I've had enough of this', if the character at hand is as dense as Sam, who has absolutely no idea "why". So the real problem is that, even with Liberty's 'action', nothing changes.

While I can see your point of view when it comes to the physical character of liberty, the symbolism of liberty cannot outright tell Uncle Sam that what he is doing is wrong. Liberty is an ideal created by the American dream, the ideal of personal and community freedom and peace towards others. It's kind of difficult to explain, since Liberty symbolizes America's ideal and Corporate Uncle Sam represents America's current culture and situation. Tat's trying really hard to put ideas into characters, which I admit has it's problems however much I love it and find it ingenious. I think what Tat is saying in this comic and with the relationship between Liberty and Corporate Uncle Sam as a whole, is that America has lost sight of true liberty. And however much liberty tries to help us, nothing will truly be done unless WE, Corporate Uncle Sam, can face what is happening and understand that what we are doing as a nation is wrong. We've strayed so far from 'Liberty', that it's only up to us to come back to her if we so choose. However, if we stay on our current path we may be separated from liberty completely.
That's my opinion, anyway. Smile

Genius! That seems likely. Smile

Reading these interpretations is quite interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: