welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/7/2013 - Tough Crowd Tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reader1

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Maswartz wrote:
So they're literally telling God off...

Yeah, so?

Slick and Monique and Li'l E used to do that all the time.

Yinello

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not having read the comments: I love having snarky movie night with my friends. It's so fun.

Having read the comments: Let's not go completely analyze-happy with this one guys. They're just having fun - jumping to conclusions is part of it. Or are you telling me you always deeply analyze everything when you watch a B movie?
Jody

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't taking God too seriously.

But then, neither is God. Smile
sammich

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberrycocoa wrote:
Is it me, or is this strip poking fun at the Sisterhood a bit? Something about the way they automatically jump to the most biased conclusions about the puppet show they possibly can.

I was just thinking the other day that God and his Handpuppets hadn't been around in awhile. Good to see them again. Very Happy

Totes. Describing the story of Adam and Eve as promoting a heteronormative gender binary is the laziest feminist literary criticism I've ever seen.
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People making lazy criticism while lying on the grass looking at sock puppets? Like no way! I need ShadowCell's monocle so I can let it fall off.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Adam + Eve ==> Love

They tell her to "dump him" ( why? No one knows )
Granted all are fictional and the story of Adam and Eve is fictious as well but just telling women "dump him" is hardly helping.

my 0.02$

snore. God kicked off with Lilith but she wanted to be on top and Adam had a cry so God was all 'okay what about if I make her birth monsters she has to murder for eternity' and Adam was cool with that and God made Eve out of his rib and Adam was all 'I'm the man so I need to be on top when we do it' and Eve was all 'dude, I'm your rib, whatever' and so Adam rejoiced he had a woman that did what he told him until she got bored of sitting around in the yard having this dude occasionally wriggle around and fall asleep on top of her so she ate the apple, and they both got booted out and thus Man would go on to blame fucking woman for all his godamned problems instead of taking some personal fucking responsibility. Dump him because he's an ass, and he's already had one girlfriend sent off to the demon baby farm for being too sassy. Classic patterns of abusive behaviour.

FUCK. It is possibly the worst love story out there, and when I say that I include all the ones where Zeus ran around fucking swans.

PLUS I don't quite remember it but in some tellings there were two Eve's, there was another one but she was made out of mud as Adam was and he was all THIS ONE IS TO SASSY AS WELL. I might be remembering that wrong. Does anyone have a google on their internet?
sammich

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
People making lazy criticism while lying on the grass looking at sock puppets? Like no way! I need ShadowCell's monocle so I can let it fall off.

?
redshirt26

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Dudebro saved a prostitute from being lynched by a bunch of men.

Also, if Eve dumped Adam, no one would be here today.
fake account

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always enjoyed the strips with God's hand puppets and the characters relaxing on the grass and snarking God and it's great to see one with the Sisterhood. It's good to see their lighter side. But it boggles me slightly how people can find ways to criticize the Sisterhood in this, one of (IMHO) the funniest Sinfest strips in a while. I hope some of you are just trolling.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that Curly, in particular, identifying herself as "the daughter of woman" is a back-handed reference to how the very, very, very earliest known human beings are believed to have originated in Africa (the relevance being that Curly's, you know, African-American).

It's also possible that Tat had nothing of the sort in mind, of course.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
Maybe because he blamed her for the apple thing? She blamed the snake in turn of course

At least she didn't specifically remind God that God had created the snake, the way Adam made a point of blaming not just the woman but "the woman whom Thou did create to be my companion" (or words to that effect).

Before anybody says anything, the notion of the snake being The Devil didn't come along until much later. Before that, it was just, you know, a snake who set the whole thing into motion because, well, because he didn't have anything better to do, I guess. That's why the story has the sub-theme of "And That's Why Snake Have To Slither Around On The Ground."

merest wrote:
The peanut gallery's insisting that Eve dump Adam seems rash - given that this is _Adam and Eve,_ the human race would not have been perpetuated if she dumped Adam, but instead been a one-generational affair.

Oh, I'm sure God would've thought of something else, if you believe in that sort of thing. If nothing else, God could've just fallen back on whatever scenario God used to create Cain's Wife. Fun fact (well, not fact, but...), Cain's Wife's name was wn Nod (per the Book of Jubilees, anyway, per Wikipedia, anyway). Now if anybody ever asks, you'll know. Smile

ADDENDUM:

Plus they're, in effect, just watching a play or a movie, not looking back in time at the "actual" events, and they (unlike, apparently, some correspondents) are well aware that their comments will change absolutely nothing about what they are watching, just as Tom, Crow, and Joel or Mike's comments changed nothing about what they watched on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

And even if Eve the puppet dumped Adam the puppet, well, so frickin' what?
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
eeeeeeeee God and mortals interacting again!

Amazeballs. This needs to happen more often.

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WellYesYouMay

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really think that people are reading too much into this one. Particularly when you add the title mentioned earlier, it's clear that they're not taking it seriously and just being snarky for fun. Sometimes even the sisterhood likes to unwind and joke with each other.
In my experience, it's best not to take gods very seriously. People taking their gods seriously is how inquisitions start. Wink Of course, I was sworn as an Erisan Discordian POPE over 10 years ago. We're good about laughing with our deities.

Last edited by WellYesYouMay on Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unrelated to subject matter, Tat's use of shadows and shading has gotten really nice Smile
sammich

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WellYesYouMay wrote:
I really think that people are reading too much into this one. Particularly when you add the title mentioned earlier, it's clear that they're not taking it seriously and just being snarky for fun. Sometimes even the sisterhood likes to unwind and joke with each other.
In my experience, it's best not to take gods very seriously. People taking their gods seriously is how inquisitions start. Wink Of course, I was sworn as an Erisan Discordian POPE over 10 years ago. We're good about laughing with our deities.

I lost my Pope card somewhere. It was laminated and everything :/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: