welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/7/2013 - Tough Crowd Tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reminds me, it's time to renew my HAM licence.

That has nothing to do with anything.
crayven

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadySunami wrote:
crayven wrote:
Adam + Eve ==> Love

They tell her to "dump him" ( why? No one knows )
Granted all are fictional and the story of Adam and Eve is fictious as well but just telling women "dump him" is hardly helping.

my 0.02$

Maybe because he blamed her for the apple thing? She blamed the snake in turn of course, but the association of women with the fall has done a lot of harm to women throughout history. (Some people used to think that giving women painkillers during pregnancy was wrong, as pain in child birth was Eve's punishment!)

Maybe in the Sinfest universe Adam was a jerk who told all his kids everything was their mother's fault and that men must never listen to their wives, as it will surely lead to folly. (There are actual people who still believe such nonsense and use it to argue against women in positions of authority).

That's a LOT of "maybe". I thought we were just talking about what's in the strip.
crayven

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
crayven wrote:
Adam + Eve ==> Love

Granted all are fictional and the story of Adam and Eve is fictious as well but just telling women "dump him" is hardly helping.

my 0.02$

No one fucking asked you.

Yes, cravven, don't you know this is a request only forum? If you weren't asked to post, you cannot post. It's simply rude and uncouth.

Maybe i should submit the form to the powers that be here on the forum too. Reminds me of the "i got a lot of posts = authority" post earlier.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WellYesYouMay wrote:
I really think that people are reading too much into this one. Particularly when you add the title mentioned earlier, it's clear that they're not taking it seriously and just being snarky for fun. Sometimes even the sisterhood likes to unwind and joke with each other.
In my experience, it's best not to take gods very seriously. People taking their gods seriously is how inquisitions start. Wink Of course, I was sworn as an Erisan Discordian POPE over 10 years ago. We're good about laughing with our deities.

This makes the most sense actually. *Turns off my "serious business" face* Smile
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
crayven wrote:
Adam + Eve ==> Love

my 0.02$

snore. God kicked off with Lilith but she wanted to be on top and Adam had a cry so God was all 'okay what about if I make her birth monsters she has to murder for eternity' and Adam was cool with that and God made Eve out of his rib and Adam was all 'I'm the man so I need to be on top when we do it' and Eve was all 'dude, I'm your rib, whatever' and so Adam rejoiced he had a woman that did what he told him until she got bored of sitting around in the yard having this dude occasionally wriggle around and fall asleep on top of her so she ate the apple, and they both got booted out and thus Man would go on to blame fucking woman for all his godamned problems instead of taking some personal fucking responsibility. Dump him because he's an ass, and he's already had one girlfriend sent off to the demon baby farm for being too sassy. Classic patterns of abusive behaviour.

FUCK. It is possibly the worst love story out there, and when I say that I include all the ones where Zeus ran around fucking swans.

PLUS I don't quite remember it but in some tellings there were two Eve's, there was another one but she was made out of mud as Adam was and he was all THIS ONE IS TO SASSY AS WELL. I might be remembering that wrong. Does anyone have a google on their internet?

This is what I was thinking of with "maybe Adam was a jerk."
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 5/7/2013 - Tough Crowd Tonight Reply with quote

Here's one (of several) examples of how characters used to speak directlyto God during the strip's first year:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=290

Noticeable contrast, don't you think?
Otoh

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so jelly...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/10041905/Cambridge-students-launch-petition-against-sexist-jelly-wrestling.html

edit: changed for Oz jelly chicks as being hotter than the Cam ones Razz
L

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
joandark wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
crayven wrote:
Adam + Eve ==> Love

my 0.02$

Yes, cravven, don't you know this is a request only forum? If you weren't asked to post, you cannot post. It's simply rude and uncouth.

Maybe i should submit the form to the powers that be here on the forum too. Reminds me of the "i got a lot of posts = authority" post earlier.

Just ignore him crayven, he's just a poor idiot.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a little silly that their solution to just about everything is "dump him."

I have a feeling if Fuchsia ever had a bad day and halfheartedly complained to them about Criminy, they'd respond with a "dump him."
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
joandark wrote:
Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
crayven wrote:
Adam + Eve ==> Love

my 0.02$

Do it, I dare you, I double dare ...I fucking triple dog dare you motherfucker. I'd LOVE to see tat go back through your post count and see the shit you post here when you whine that others are being MEAN to you on this forum.

It's not a request only forum, but your privilege to talk without getting shouted down has been revoked.

Fuck off taintstain.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crim is not a total asshat trying to control Fuchshia's life or get into ger pants in an unwanted manner. If Fuchshia complained to the sisterhood about Crim, there would be no past horrible behavior that would make the sisterhood say, "Yes, Dump him!" I bet they'd give her a cupcake instead.

Ronald

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Crim and Fuchsia have the closest approximation to a healthy male/female relationship in this strip (which is saying a heck of a lot of not much), the Sisterhood's reaction to them might surprise some of us.

(I'm suddenly seized with the bizarre notion that Li'l Sis is Crim's sister. Nah, too obvious.)

When the Sisterhood reacts after other characters act (in contrast to taking first action themselves), they usually react to males who are, to at least some extent, acting like jerks (that's a subjective analysis so there's no point in arguing about what does or doesn't qualify as jerkish behavior). Crim rarely acts like a jerk. Thus, they've pretty much left him alone so far.

Lesson: If you don't want the Sisterhood in your face, maybe you should cut down on acting like a jerk.

Food for thought at the very least.

Lich Mong wrote:
It is a little silly that their solution to just about everything is "dump him."

Exactly how many Sinfest characters don't have something "a little silly" about them?

To paraphrase somebody or another from somewhere (seriously, if I knew who or from where I was paraphrasing, I'd provide the credit):

"If a man says something silly, other men say "What a fool that man is." If a woman says something silly, men say "What fools women are."

Nobody could meet the standards that some of the Sisterhood's critics seem to expect of them. Why is it that, out of all of the characters in the strip, they're the ones whose every word and action gets dissected?

Plus, again, they're making sardonic comments to each other while, in effect, watching a play. They're not trying to impress anybody with wisdom, not even each other.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
They aren't taking God too seriously.

But then, neither is God. Smile

Very true. Big G might be kind of a douche sometimes, but at least He has a sense of humour. Usually.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
Lesson: If you don't want the Sisterhood in your face, maybe you should cut down on acting like a jerk.

Preach it.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Ronald wrote:

Preach it.

The cure to being a jerk is a swift punch in the face. Nothing more, nothing less.

Of course this strip... I have a hard time seeing any interesting messages in it. Like many others have said before everyone has ribbed on God at least several times. It's half the fun.

If anything the only real hidden message is that Tat doesn't think religion is taken very seriously by society in general, and that's all parts of society, feminists included.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: