welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Say it Loud, Say it Proud
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reader1

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda disheartened, slick used to do the back and forth thing with evil. You know: get sprung from hell -> turn his life around -> get on good terms with nique -> screw up again -> nique would tell him off -> fall into evil again -> get thrown back in hell. i was hoping that Slick would start wrestling with his new diagnosis of dudebro-ism like he used to with the good vs evil struggle. this strip makes it look like that’s not going to happen any time soon.
crayven

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Slick wearing the same type of shades as Xanthe?
Homeslice

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the MRAs on the other forum I visit have actually used the words "creep-shaming". As if it was on the same level as slut-shaming. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Homeslice on Wed May 08, 2013 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homeslice wrote:
Some of the MRAs on the other forum I visit have actuall used the words "creep-shaming". As if it was on the same level as slut-shaming. Rolling Eyes

Haha I admit I laugh out loud when I see that. Oh you're making fun of the person who is harassing you? YOU EVIL THING!
pun

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this reminds me of when mras wanted dudebro to be a recognized slur
Night Spade

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way we can prevent the sexual apocalypse is to unite these embittered gender factions with something that all sides love, whenever they are good or evil, male or female and that something is (I cannot believe I am saying this...) PONIES!
Arthain

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody wrote:
Shadow Master wrote:
Mr. North by Northwest wrote:
Take Back The Night is a well-known organization dedicated to eradicating sexual violence.

That... doesn't make much sense.

Sexual violence is already practically non-existent in the first world, much like any kind of violence, since it's practically impossible to escape modern technology-fueled investigations.

If anything, it should be the name of an organization dedicated to reinstating sexual violence and/or superstition.

...this is a joke, right?

In a sense he's actually right. In the past violence was far more prevalent, it just never got broadcasted because the measures weren't in place to protect and/or persecute the criminals.

In today's society if something is reported, chances are you're never getting away. Media also tends to sensationalize any sort of violence. There's a phrase they use: If it bleeds it leads. The 'worse' it appears the more the media focus' on it. Since sexual crimes are usually the worst and bring out the greatest number of viewers they're almost always focused on.

The other crimes not so much because unless it's particularly brutal it just doesn't compete with the other news.

So yes, in a sense he is right. Things today are far better than they were 25, 50, 100, 1000 years ago. Does sexual violence still occur? Yes, does it occur more frequently than other types of violence? Hell no. They MIGHT be at most the same, more than likely however it's the opposite where there's more non-sexual violence then sexual. There's just more focus on sexual violence in the media so we're inundated with more of it over the daily course of our lives.

And as sad as it is to say this I hope violence never disappears. Because you can't know pleasure without pain, love without hate and hope without fear.

---

On the topic of this strip, I have a feeling it's one of those one-offs, like the movies or the calligraphy ones. It's still trying to get a message across, but it's a one-off.
redshirt26

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slick: "We're taking back the work "douchebag".
Men: "Yeah! Douchebag! Douchebag!"
Monique: "Does any of you know what a douchebag really is?"
Men: "Yeah its...uh....uh........................Douchebag! Douchebag!"
Arthain

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Douchebag is interesting because it's one of those words that has no inherent meaning itself. The meaning the word contains and conveys is based on the context and the intent the speaker puts into it.

It's not really an insult. It's not really anything. It's just a word without a meaning albeit one that's usually filled with negative intention and placed in a context to insult another by someone who wishes to lash out.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, acceptance is the first step to rehabilitation.

Or so I've been told.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Arthain: Things are better =/= practically non-existant. But shit, of course things are better. It couldn't get worse. And sexual violence occurs A LOT MORE than you think. There are still so many crimes unreported because of the whole victim stigma.

Also you hope violence never dissapears? What the fuck? Abuse isn't the same as BDSM! Are you saying all kids need to have bad shit happening in their lives to know what happiness is? I'm pretty sure you said this as some philosophical hooha and that you don't really mean you want people to get hurt (I HOPE <.<) but damn son, you look like you're advocating people getting beaten up.

I want to live in a world where violence is something that only happens in movies, videogames and books. Because fuck yeah idealism.

Last edited by Yinello on Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
diagram12345

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Master wrote:
Mr. North by Northwest wrote:
Take Back The Night is a well-known organization dedicated to eradicating sexual violence.

That... doesn't make much sense.

Sexual violence is already practically non-existent in the first world, much like any kind of violence, since it's practically impossible to escape modern technology-fueled investigations.

Not sure if joking.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

either way, it's pretty fucking awkward.

IN 2013 RAPE HAS BEEN ALMOST COMPLETELY ERADICATED THANKS TO CSI.
sunember123

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squig's funny here. Like he doesn't even give a steaming crap about masculinity or whatever. Just chilling with his popcorn.
Arthain

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
@Arthain: Things are better =/= practically non-existant. But shit, of course things are better. It couldn't get worse. And sexual violence occurs A LOT MORE than you think. There are still so many crimes unreported because of the whole victim stigma.

Also you hope violence never dissapears? What the fuck? Abuse isn't the same as BDSM! Are you saying all kids need to have bad shit happening in their lives to know what happiness is? I'm pretty sure you said this as some philosophical hooha and that you don't really mean you want people to get hurt (I HOPE <.<) but damn son, you look like you're advocating people getting beaten up.

I want to live in a world where violence is something that only happens in movies, videogames and books. Because fuck yeah idealism.

I'm a very interesting individual and sometimes that's a bad thing. I'm hardly perfect, I have my faults. I'm not a one-dimensional individual. I have many differing points of view that when taken out of context can seem conflicting.

We are human, humans evolve through conflict. We always have. From the moment we were single celled organism up until the present day we have constantly changed, adapted, grown and evolved through conflict. Conflict is a requirement to continue to grow as a human. Violence is included in that package. If we don't have something to overcome, some adversity to conquer, we will be forever locked in stasis. That's why I never want our world to become peaceful. A peaceful humanity is an evolutionary dead end.

Of course we can't exist with only conflict, we need rest and relaxation. We need both sides of the equation. Like torn muscles on the body, you need to be able to let yourself heal, grow, and become stronger. You don't become stronger by being swaddled in bubble wrap and protected for all sources of pain. You become stronger by coming into contact WITH pain and overcoming it.

Sometimes it's worse than others, sometimes it is taken too far. I'm not advocating murder or rape or genocide. But violence and conflict, in moderation, is required to be a healthy human being. You'll never learn to appreciate the finer things in life without it. You'll never be able to appreciate LIFE without conflict.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: