welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wonder Woman petition on Change.org!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
It's now made it onto the front page of Bleeding Cool. Oh, my stars and garters, as Henry McCoy would say!

wtf . . . tie skirt?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Ock is currently possessing the body and powers of peter parker and from the reviews I've read it's been awesome. you can only do so much with a character without making a drastic change. let them run with this and see how it goes before passing judgement, you ay be pleasantly surprised.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Tekii

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
Doc Ock is currently possessing the body and powers of peter parker and from the reviews I've read it's been awesome. you can only do so much with a character without making a drastic change. let them run with this and see how it goes before passing judgement, you ay be pleasantly surprised.

Really? The reviews I seen were totally skeeved out by Doc Ock and the possibility of him sleeping with MJ while he was in Peter's body.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
It's now made it onto the front page of Bleeding Cool. Oh, my stars and garters, as Henry McCoy would say!

That Wonder Woman statue, and the handful of others they've also announced in the same line, look to be a tie in for the upcoming Infinite Crisis game. There are some trailers floating around, which look okay enough. Basically lots of alternate universe versions of the DC characters, including steampunk, nightmare, cybernetic, and post-apocalyptic (as seen in that statue).

I mean, yeah, it's ridiculous, but if you're going for a post-apocalyptic, alternate universe that's more towards Tank Girl than Mad Max, that character design kinda makes sense for the setting.

If it was just a one-off, without any context, or if that was the new, main-continuity Wonder Woman design, or if it wasn't part of a larger line of these, I could be more incensed. As is... maybe be upset at the art team for the game, but even then it looks like the other versions of Wonder Woman that have been announced so far are less... skirt-made-of-ties-y.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I wouldn't have guessed it was Wonder Woman until it said so. I thought it was a really cool post-apocalyptic woman - not the superheroine out for peace and truth. :S
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the post-apocalypse setting, I'm going to go ahead and guess the whole peace objective kind of panned out.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Her lasso of truth is being used to lash the chainsaw to the pole, too. So that's prtetty much out, too.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
Her lasso of truth is being used to lash the chainsaw to the pole, too. So that's prtetty much out, too.

Does that mean the chainsaw has to obey?
CTrees

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the latest issue of Wonder Woman. Now, one comic in the middle of an arc is not a broad data set. That said, I have four brief thoughts:

-I actually don't hate the costume. It's a little different, but it works.

-I like how some of the gods are portrayed. Poseidon (or what I presume was Poseidon) as a demi-human sea creature, for instance. Having the Greco-Roman gods mostly being terrible people (which is pretty accurate to the myths) and having them be obviously not-human (for better or worse) are both things that always interest me, so this part works.

-The writing seemed... subpar. Maybe it was lacking context, or maybe it was just bad.

-Wonder Woman's character is horrible. I'm not sure she's necessarily anti-feminist, but what I got from that one comic is that she doesn't seem to be a good person. Put a few dozen pouches on her and she'd be at home in the nineties, is more what I was getting.

I wanted the input of someone who actually read the New DCU Wonder Woman, and as no one was chiming in, I bit the bullet and did it myself. I would be more comfortable forming an opinion if I read more, but... eh, I was at Books-a-Million, and that's what they had. I'm not sure she's anti-feminist, but she was kind of a marketing-edgy bitch. Some interesting ideas, but in general just... not gripping or entertaining. I'm not sure "this kinda sucks, meh" is sufficient to warrant a petition, but there's every chance I'm missing some really terrible stuff.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTrees wrote:
there's every chance I'm missing some really terrible stuff.

Well, yes:

http://thanley.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/wonder-woman-7-review-or-that-was-an-odd-choice/

With more commentary on the suggestions/implications here:

http://www.themarysue.com/wonder-woman-7/

I think this was one of the really big What-The-Hell?! moments for a lot of us.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is more general than Wonder Woman, of course, but...

Ah, schadenfreude.

Someday I am sure they will have to wake up, won't they?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: