welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5/11 don't you find it exciting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onimaru

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe we have a winner, looking at the pattern of the trailing clouds from the heads, tears looks to be the best explanation.
NobodySpecial

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:

And I kinda like the idea that Xanthe is a fan of Wonder Woman, while yes she is unfortunately sexualized in comics like damn near every other female in the medium. She's got to be one of the longest standing concepts of the empowerment of Women at least that's her intent mostly. More than a few writers have had a hand in cheapening her over the years Sad

Wait, what?

Quote:
"Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman."

Quote:
"The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound... Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society... Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element".

Marston both recognized and infused his creation with a deliberate 'erotic element'.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onimaru wrote:

And I kinda like the idea that Xanthe is a fan of Wonder Woman, while yes she is unfortunately sexualized in comics like damn near every other female in the medium. She's got to be one of the longest standing concepts of the empowerment of Women at least that's her intent mostly. More than a few writers have had a hand in cheapening her over the years Sad

That honestly feels like the case of Samus with Metroid: Other M.
joandark

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, they made me think of these three weirdoes.

Onimaru

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NobodySpecial wrote:
Onimaru wrote:

Wait, what?

Quote:
"Not even girls want to be girls so long as our feminine archetype lacks force, strength, and power. Not wanting to be girls, they don't want to be tender, submissive, peace-loving as good women are. Women's strong qualities have become despised because of their weakness. The obvious remedy is to create a feminine character with all the strength of Superman plus all the allure of a good and beautiful woman."

Quote:
"The only hope for peace is to teach people who are full of pep and unbound force to enjoy being bound... Only when the control of self by others is more pleasant than the unbound assertion of self in human relationships can we hope for a stable, peaceful human society... Giving to others, being controlled by them, submitting to other people cannot possibly be enjoyable without a strong erotic element".

Marston both recognized and infused his creation with a deliberate 'erotic element'.

My apologies, I hadn't researched into the original writers intent very far, I just go by what I've read since the 80's. But you're right even at her inception it seems that Wonder Woman was cheapened long before even I realized. I suppose I should have assumed considering her greatest weakness is having her arm guards shackled together, thus 'binding' her into servitude to whomever did it, I imagine 9 times out of 10 it's probably a Male Villain that manages this.

But still, I think thanks to many of her fans she evolved beyond what the creator expected her to be, she has to some extent become a symbol in mainstream media for the empowerment of Women regardless of what she was meant to be, or what others might make her become.(Edit was the adding of the second paragraph.)
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember Xanthe is the name of an Amazon, of course she'd be a fan of Wonder Woman.
ChastMastr

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of stuff about WW over on the WW petition thread (and the synchronicity of all of this is indeed startling to me!). The whole "losing her powers when she is chained by a man"--except, of course, she always overcomes that--was there from the beginning, as was the whole spreading-a-wise-philosophy-of-peace-to-the-foolish-"Man's-World" aspect. But that's all on the thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: