welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Complaints About Feminist Sinfest Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finnegan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest, I really don't understand all this bitching and whining about discrimination against women and gays and blacks in this country. We should really be concerned about this nation's unfair and unwarranted discrimination against hippies. Why the fuck does everyone hate hippies? It's not like we're making false rape accusations, or destroying marriage, or stealing your hard earned scholarships like some of those other so called marginalized groups. I just don't get it. Oh, so I forgot to put on deodorant again today BIG FUCKING DEAL!

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I'll be honest, I really don't understand all this bitching and whining about discrimination against women and gays and blacks in this country. We should really be concerned about this nation's unfair and unwarranted discrimination against hippies. Why the fuck does everyone hate hippies? It's not like we're making false rape accusations, or destroying marriage, or stealing your hard earned scholarships like some of those other so called marginalized groups. I just don't get it. Oh, so I forgot to put on deodorant again today BIG FUCKING DEAL!

You come to work stoned and I have to work twice as hard to make up for your slack ass. Also the greatful dead sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the grateful dead don't suck and for your information most of us don't even have jobs, so there!

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not weed, it's incense, gosh
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's medicinal, to help me cope with all the people trying to harsh my mellow.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had this brilliant theory! All the women in Sinfest are actually the same- woman. I mean, they all look alike, amirite? And it's not like any story actually needs more than one woman character, and who would just put a random one in a story without her being a plot device?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
I just had this brilliant theory! All the women in Sinfest are actually the same- woman. I mean, they all look alike, amirite? And it's not like any story actually needs more than one woman character, and who would just put a random one in a story without her being a plot device?

That's stupid. Of course they are different women. They are just disposable. They interact with the lead man and after that how are we supposed to care?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but that's what I mean! If the lead man is interacting with one, might as well just be the same one with different faces. It's like changing out an avatar - character stays the same, but looks different.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
If you sympathize with those who would complain about feminism, we'd all be simply delighted to read a reasonable, well-thought-out defense of them - if you happen to have one ready to go, that is.

Misanthropy? Very Happy

I love you.
Score_Under

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: almost-serious post in a not-serious thread, whoops Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
If you sympathize with those who would complain about feminism, we'd all be simply delighted to read a reasonable, well-thought-out defense of them - if you happen to have one ready to go, that is.

I think this is rather difficult to do. What is feminism?

Some people would define it as equality between male and female, some people would reject that phrasing on account of gender binary, and some people just want to rant about "cishet white male fucking scum privileged shitlords" under the banner of feminism.

It's similar to atheism in this respect. There's the "I think there probably isn't a god" type, and then there's the "illogical religious cretin hitler was catholic atheism makes me intelligent" type. While the former is rather difficult to argue against simply for being a relatively reasonable opinion, the latter is just clear bile and superiority complex (though probably no easier to argue against, simply because it would fall on deaf ears).

For these reasons I don't really think anyone can argue against feminism itself - however, people's own opinions are a different matter.

edit: tl;dr people's opinions of what feminism is and isn't varies a lot from person to person
Micius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: almost-serious post in a not-serious thread, whoops Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
I personally wish people would return to the banner of egalitarianism, which is a far older concept than feminism and far more gender neutral. I sympathize with readers who feel Sinfest has been favoring one gender over the other again, this time women instead of men. Let me quote you some quotes:

2013-05-22: Suggests misandry doesn't exist.
2013-05-09: "Kill all men!"
2013-04-17: "Men act like they're on your side, then they turn on you. They turn on you and let you down."
2013-04-12: "KILL ALL MEN."
2013-03-29: "I used to think guys actually respected me... But they don't. They only liked me as long as I embodied some fantasy in their head. They never really cared about me."

Score_Under wrote:
I think this is rather difficult to do. What is feminism?
You bring up good points, feminism means different things to different people. In terms of the comic here, I think it is most important to ask, 'What does feminism mean to Tatsuya Ishida?' Based solely on the comics, I wouldn't suspect that he thinks of feminism as equality between genders.
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you "return to the banner of egalitarianism," you would still have no reason to whine about feminism

that you continue to do so suggests that you are interested in neither egalitarianism nor feminism

think about it
Alpha Aim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a difference between complaining about feminism and complaining about feminists?
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure there is. Micius is engaging in the former.
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One involves railing against an idea and one involves stereotyping a group of people, usually. A lot of people don't bother to distinguish, though, so I guess your mileage may vary when it comes to how relevant it is in any given situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: