welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are you reading . . . . Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 244, 245, 246  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Azmoten

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
So, Jim Butcher did some interviews recently and described the basic plot of the next Dresden book:

Quote:
The next novel is called Skin Game. In it, we find out that Mab has various debts which she has incurred over the years and Mab is very keen on getting her debts paid, and when one of the people she owes shows up and asks for a favour, she loans him Harry Dresden in order to help him. So Harry is going to find himself, by command of Queen Mab, assisting Nicodemus Archleon in a heist. They’re going on a bank job, and they’re going to knock over the vault of Hades — the Lord of the Underworld.

Want. NAO.

OMFG! Is there a release date yet? Probably not, right?
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Though he mentioned that the first couple of chapters had to be done for the paperback printing of Cold Days, which started last month.

So... progress.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. Couldn't put it down. Was done in 2 days.

It is NOT a vampire book. The title sucks and gives zero clue to the contents of the book. It is fantasy and horror - complete with bridges to other places and where kidnapping children is no where near the worst thing that happens to them.

On Goodreads? I posted a review there.

stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Palace of Stone, sequel to The Princess Academy. The first book was about how education and knowledge can get communities out of poverty. There is even collective bargaining! It's a very chill book, tough, so I expected Palace of Stone to be about the same.

It isn't chill, but it is good. Would be great for kids who can't decide if revolution needs to happen or not. It also does this thing I long for in books and stories about princesses: It points out the horrible lack of democracy under monarchic governments and that royalty serves no purpose.

I enjoyed the first book more. If Shannon Hale coes out with another, i'll read that too.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's new YA book The Rithmatist. He came up with yet another pretty unique magic system, but not as cool as say Allomancy in his Mistborn books. It was a pretty quick read, and I enjoyed the characters but it didn't leave a lasting impression. I guess that's why it's a YA book then.

Now I'm reading another YA book The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian. I got it at a used book store because it was cheap and was recommended highly. I should have it done shortly because...

My new Elizabeth Moon book Limits of Power should arrive tomorrow or Thursday! So I can finally stop pretending I'm a teenager for awhile. Razz
Twenty-Fifth Night

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cixelsyD wrote:
I just read Dune, and now I am sad that it is gone ._.

The second one is as good as the first, so you can read that as well Smile
The third one is also good, beyond that the idea starts to get tired.

If you're after more good SF though, I'd recommend The Forever War (Joe Halderman), Hyperion (Dan Simmons), or anything by Iain M. Banks or Alastair Reynolds.

I'm reading Shift right now, the sequel to Wool. It's excellent, but quite depressing...
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read Leviathan Wakes. Please! Great sci fi!
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Global Weirdness" is a concise easy read detailing the current state of scientific knowledge about global warming. Very good, also depressing.

"Thermae Romae" is a manga about an ancient Roman bath engineer who keeps slipping through cracks and into modern day Japanese bathhouses. It was created by a Japanese artist who studied art in Florence, Italy. It is funny and historically accurate - also providing a two for one special where you get to learn about the bathing culture of Rome and Japan at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
NOS4A2 by Joe Hill. Couldn't put it down. Was done in 2 days.

It is NOT a vampire book. The title sucks and gives zero clue to the contents of the book. It is fantasy and horror - complete with bridges to other places and where kidnapping children is no where near the worst thing that happens to them.

On Goodreads? I posted a review there.

Yeah, Joe Hill is pretty great. I got Heartshaped box for my birthday last year. 20th Century Ghost Stories was even better though, highly recommended.
winterflame

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently re-reading Tricksters Choice by Tamora Peirce for like the 40th time.

I have a request to ask of you marvelous readers. I need recommendations for Urban Fantasy, or straight fantasy novels that either have no sex in them at all, or at least no graphic sex. Sort of the opposite of Laural Hamilton. My mother loves fantasy novels but sex squicks her out.

Thanks
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winterflame wrote:

I have a request to ask of you marvelous readers. I need recommendations for Urban Fantasy, or straight fantasy novels that either have no sex in them at all, or at least no graphic sex. Sort of the opposite of Laural Hamilton. My mother loves fantasy novels but sex squicks her out.

Thanks

The Chronicles of Amber series (specifically books 1-5) by Roger Zelazny. Great series and one of my favorites (if not my all time favorite). No sex scenes - neither sex nor romance is the focus at all.

Jacqueline Carey writes great books - Dark Currents is the definition of Urban Fantasy. However, her Kushiel series is heavily sexed (very well done in that it actually furthers the plot but lots of BMSD sex). Saint Olivia is urban or modern fantasy but has a bit of lesbian sex/teenage longings.

Patricia Briggs writes a Mercades Thompson series that is probably the best replacement for LKH -werewolves and a strong female lead. There is sex but it is handled as a fade to black - no graphic details at all. One warning - there is a rape is book three. Again, it is not graphically handled at all (no "tool" here!) but it is intense.

The Name of the Wind - excellent epic fantasy. The characters are too young for sex in this book but I have no idea how it would be handled in future books.

Lies of Locke Lamora - a swashbuckling good time! Sex is not the focus here either. Lots of cursing though.

Friend me on Goodreads - lasairfiona at gmail. I have lots of books and reviews up. I'm not super prolific but yay reading!

Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winterflame wrote:

Thanks

Dresden Files, at least the ones I've read so far, don't have graphic sex. There is some *implied* sex at one point, but we're not, ah, given a blow-by-blow, as it were. It's a wonderful Urban Fantasy series, with a bit of a tongue-in-cheek Noir toe. ("Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face.")

Anything by Pratchett, though I suppose that's not compeltely *straight* Fantasy. Still, I will forever proselytize the awesome that is the Discworld.

Hrrn. IF she likes comics at all.. I think Digger is now in book form? (Really, REALLY good fantasy-ish webcomic. Is finished now. IS AMAZING.)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

she's been publishing digger books all along, but now the series is complete. but yes, definitely you can get digger in books.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiya mouse! how's life?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey michael! life is good. loving your rap career over in the other subforum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 244, 245, 246  Next
Page 235 of 246

Jump to: