welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Movie Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 346, 347, 348  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Also Jaws was best Bond villain.

Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ParaNorman.

Excellent fucking movie.
Mr Gary

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Star Trek movie. I gotta say I kinda loved it despite the boring story choices. Like Prometheus or Dark Knight Rises, it's a bit of a bimbo of a movie. Even the bits of *homage* kinda got me until the lights came up and I was like 'really? you could have written anything, but instead you hit CTRL - V?'

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Buckaroo Banzai in the 23rd century Reply with quote

Star Trek Into Darkness was popcorn-worthy, though I remain kind of sad about the alternate history reboot Abrams pulled. And the Edselprise still looks ridiculous. All that open space on the inside, the atrium walkways, random structural elements, and a warp core that looks lifted from the second Death Star, it's adding up to a damn kids, get off my lawn moment.

Also, hats.
Samsally

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the movie but I suspect a lot of my enjoyment stems from actors who genuinely appear to love their characters and can play special bonding moments in ways that are touching, hilarious, and somehow honest all in turn.

Rants. Lots of spoilery Star Trek rants. wrote:
I still say BC was a terrible choice and while yes, his acting was good acting I don't think it made up for the choice at all in any way. His character was predictably a gigantic raging asshole but like Nero he was a gigantic raging asshole with PRIORITIES that drove every choice he made. Considering his priorities were saving literally his only friends and family you cannot tell me he was not at least in some way meant to be a sympathetic character. In fact, casting an incredibly famous actor who literally has people willing to call themselves "cumberbitches" to prove how much they love him could EASILY be argued as another example of how he is very clearly meant to be sympathetic. Asshole, yes, but isn't that what he's known for playing? Sympathetic dickheads? Fuck that noise, they could have easily gotten a talented actor of color to play that part and they didn't even try. I call bullshit.

Also, I still think JJ is a complete clod when it comes to women, but at least Uhura's badassery got to shine a bit. Throwing in Carol randomly changing for literally no fucking reason at all was pretty stupid and enraging, but making Kirk be a complete dickwad about it is very nearly unforgivable. (Can we PLEASE prove that guys can be horny, virile men without also being giant digbacks FOR ONCE PLEASE?! Sleeping with lots of people =/= being a giant jackass about other people's privacy and for gods sake JJ you could at least TRY TO FUCKING UNDERSTAND THAT.)

Wow okay that got way more ranty and spoilery than expected so under a cut it goes.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally saw Iron Man 3, absolutely loved what they did with the Mandarin.

Ben Kingsley nailed it.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Campaign was actually cuter than I thought it would be.

Not great, but entertaining enough.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Star Trek Into Darkness. I liked it better than the first of the reboots. The story was more clear and directed - sure it makes it a bit more simplistic but I am okay with that here. I love the warp core (seriously, it makes so much sense) and I rather like the cracked fun mirror approach - everything is just different enough to be new.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Into the Darkness as a sci fi action flick, but I kind of feel like it was terrible as a Star Trek film.

The thing to me has been that Star Trek has always been more about the exploration, and tricky diplomatic situations than the shoot first, shoot second, ask questions later sort of film, and this one definitely falls more into the latter.

They kind of wasted an opportunity to let Uhura shine too. All the other crew members get an opportunity to be in the limelight and successful, she just gets choked by a klingon.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I even mentioned that Cabin in the Woods is the best movie ever?
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Movie day today.

Frankenweenie (2012)
It's okay. Not impressed, tho.

Indiscreet (1958)
Cary Grant. Decent, tho Ingrid Bergman's character needs more backbone.

Butter (2011)
weird.

Thinner (1996)
awful.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012) (again!)
I love this movie (at least the third time). I also relate to the two mains too much.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yorick wrote:
Movie day today.

Frankenweenie (2012)
It's okay. Not impressed, tho.

Indiscreet (1958)
Cary Grant. Decent, tho Ingrid Bergman's character needs more backbone.

Butter (2011)
weird.

Thinner (1996)
awful.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012) (again!)
I love this movie (at least the third time). I also relate to the two mains too much.

God I love Wreck-it-Ralph. Even WITHOUT the videogame nostalgia-setting, it is a legitimately amazing moving. And Jesus Christ the foreshadowing! They did an incredible job with that story.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
nathan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End of Watch.

I went in expecting a buddy cop movie, and left with a Raymond Carver story. Loved it.
TIAB

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thunderheart.

It's been years since I've spent any time on the rez but damn if that movie doesn't bring me right back there.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Dead (the new one) for the second time. So awesome! Edge of your seat, gore to the max, and it skips the humiliation of the victims that is so common in modern horror. Forget the sex shaming and skip right to the face peeling. Yes, I enjoyed myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 340, 341, 342 ... 346, 347, 348  Next
Page 341 of 348

Jump to: