welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-24: Sinfest Nights 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tekii

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
I'm not ruling out that this is Lilith but it's much more likely that this is Eve. IIRC, Lilith rebelled on her own because Adam was dickhead rapist.

Its tagged with Lilith as a keyword but not Eve so its most likely Lilith.
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do hope people realize that Lilith is an ancient Hebrew folk tale, not actually mentioned in genesis but only in the book of isaiah, talking about how the Judgements set upon isreal were so bad that it wouldn't be surprising to see Lilith (here a child eating succubus) lounging around?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
guys, guys, you are getting ahead of yourselves here. she's still engaged to adam, so she hasn't objected yet to having a subservient position. and i'm betting big d is after he just because he wants her - lust, after all, is one of the big vices.. so he's not exactly supporting her fight against a patriarchal system, he just wants to get laid.

Maybe she's just trying to get along with Adam and hoping everything works out. Like, maybe he's not so bad.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://witcombe.sbc.edu/eve-women/7evelilith.html

With sources from Hebrew scriptures!

edited for freaking dropped formatting again.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it could equally be said that the entire Adam&Eve story (along with the whole Old Testament) is "ancient Hebrew folktale", so what's your point?
Rothide

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aboutwhistles wrote:
And it could equally be said that the entire Adam&Eve story (along with the whole Old Testament) is "ancient Hebrew folktale", so what's your point?

Sorry this was probably just me thinking he was using a portrayal of the christian adam and eve story. We haven't ever had hebrew stories being used, so I thought he may have gotten confused and thought that Genesis talked about Lilith as well.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genesis IS a Hebrew story.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia: "The Book of Genesis (Hebrew: בְּרֵאשִׁית‎, Bərēīṯ, "In [the] beginning"), is the first book of the Hebrew Bible (the Tanakh) and the Christian Old Testament.[1]"
merest

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aboutwhistles, giving Genesis and midrashes (or, heaven forbid, kabbalistic ravings) equal authority in the biblical 'setting' is like giving slash fiction about Captain Kirk and Spock the same canonical authority as Original Star Trek episodes. They are indeed all just stories, but there there are accepted differences in authority.

Which is not to say that fiction writers/comic book artists can't do as they like. So: this would seem to be Lilith, before her replacement, following her storming out of the Garden, by a doll-like Eve. So far it doesn't fit the received stories in the slightest, as Lilith was not tempted by the Devil, and never ate the apple; technically she can re-enter the Garden whenever she wants, as she didn't Fall. This story will of course turn into a feminist allegory, but I'm curious where Mr. Ishida is going with it.
Rune

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
mouse wrote:
guys, guys, you are getting ahead of yourselves here. she's still engaged to adam, so she hasn't objected yet to having a subservient position. and i'm betting big d is after he just because he wants her - lust, after all, is one of the big vices.. so he's not exactly supporting her fight against a patriarchal system, he just wants to get laid.

Maybe she's just trying to get along with Adam and hoping everything works out. Like, maybe he's not so bad.

Maybe this is big D's first step in, (deliberately, or just as a natural consequence of his devilishness,) establishing patriarchy as a thing, changing the gender-relations narrative of human history right from its inception? Not that I like the idea of Lilith's decision being anything but hers and hers alone.

Also, anyone else think that Lil'E might be named after his mom? *squee*
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Li'l E and Lillith name thing has been mentioned. I don't remember by who, but I'm going to guess Miss Magenta did.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
The Li'l E and Lillith name thing has been mentioned. I don't remember by who, but I'm going to guess Miss Magenta did.

Sounds like a safe bet, as far as I know, lol.

I'd kind of love it if the naming thing was true.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was me. Kind of. I had actually noted that his name is a portmanteau of both of his parent's names, rather than straight-up being named after one or the other. (Lilith. The Devil. Li'l Evil.)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Yeah, it was me. Kind of. I had actually noted that his name is a portmanteau of both of his parent's names, rather than straight-up being named after one or the other. (Lilith. The Devil. Li'l Evil.)

OoooooOOOOOOoooooooo.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wasn't he called "Lil' Evil" long before Lilith ever showed up? Sounds to me like a happy coincidence, rather than a long-term design on Tat's part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: