welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions and Answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 722, 723, 724 ... 753, 754, 755  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fridge totally has a crisper! It is full of beer... I'll fix that!

Soooo I just showed Chris Heretical Rant's Grabby McSkidmarks saga. He nearly gave himself an asthma attack laughing at it. PLEASE GIVE US MORE!

stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabby McSkidmarks makes me giggle every once in awhile for no particular reason.

I want to make Word Salad into a food dish. Any ideas? I could try writing on crackers, cheese or meat with edible marker and laying those on some lettuce, but that sounds boring to me.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alphabet pasta?
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
My fridge totally has a crisper! It is full of beer... I'll fix that!

Haha, we have beer in ours too, but the drawers are so deep that I'm able to keep fruit/veggies in them even with the beer lol. Also, "crisper" is just a fun word to say.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we got way, way too many greens. Apparently greens are in season so we have a ton. There are way too many to just eat salad all the time (yes salad is good but way too much of it) SO I dumped a bunch of mixed greens including mustard greens into a chicken stir fry. Crazy thing, mustard greens taste a bit like horseradish so I thought it would go well in stir fry. I was right.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Alphabet pasta?

Oooh... I could do a pasta salad. Very Happy Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

what on earth do you live on??

Haha Very Happy I usually eat strawberry or peach yoghurt in the morning, 2 sandwiches in the lunch and a meal with either fish/rice/veggies, meat/rice/veggies, salad with pasta or a full pasta meal. Sometimes I have noodles. Snacks in the weekend.

The problem is that fruit at our local supermarkets is dang expensive. Kind of dumb really.

Last edited by Yinello on Wed May 22, 2013 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
So we got way, way too many greens. Apparently greens are in season so we have a ton. There are way too many to just eat salad all the time (yes salad is good but way too much of it) SO I dumped a bunch of mixed greens including mustard greens into a chicken stir fry. Crazy thing, mustard greens taste a bit like horseradish so I thought it would go well in stir fry. I was right.

This reminds me, my CSA should be starting soon.

4 pieces of produce a week. At first I was taken back, but then they explained a piece is 2lbs of tomatoes, or 6 ears of corn, or 1lb of radishes, etc. It averaged out to about $10 a week for 24 weeks, will definitely save us at the store.
Lasairfiona

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, mine is $15 a week and hasn't been a ton of food yet but I expect that to change as the growing season continues. One thing I just love - everything is pre washed and bagged. I can just grab it out of the fridge and toss in my stir fry.
eureka00

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, so I just looked up and found a CSA farm in my area. Unfortunately, you had to pay and be signed up by May 1st. There's always next year. Sounds like they continue growing well into the Fall. There's even a Thanksgiving share. It's $30/week and goes for 30 weeks but you can choose to get a share every other week as opposed to a share every week.
mouse

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eure - you might want to contact them now, in case they have a waiting list (mine does, so you can't count on being able to just sign up, necessarily). of course, as a spoiled southern californian, we get stuff year-round, and people can join at the beginning of each quarter Razz

so happy to hear about people finding nummy local foods! we may have to start a new recipe thread: what to do with all that {fill in the blank} i got from my CSA this week. i finally found a decent zucchini soup recipe - i am just not that wild about zucchini, and i can always use new ideas of what to do with it. greens in a stirfry sounds like a great idea.
Desire

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love zucchini best in tomato sauce. The flavors just seem to go well together.

We used to get box every other week, a few years ago, but it got too expensive. I've been trying to convince Graeme that we should again just because the produce up here is horrible. There is no "fresh" produce up here as everything has to be flown or shipped in and has been traveling for so long by the time it finally arrives. The boxes though are flown up from Washington weekly (hence the cost) and they are about as fresh as you can get up here without having your own greenhouse.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington: Preventing scurvy in Alaska since 1972.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
eure - you might want to contact them now, in case they have a waiting list (mine does, so you can't count on being able to just sign up, necessarily). of course, as a spoiled southern californian, we get stuff year-round, and people can join at the beginning of each quarter Razz

so happy to hear about people finding nummy local foods! we may have to start a new recipe thread: what to do with all that {fill in the blank} i got from my CSA this week. i finally found a decent zucchini soup recipe - i am just not that wild about zucchini, and i can always use new ideas of what to do with it. greens in a stirfry sounds like a great idea.

Yeah, I'll have to ask husband if he wants to do it first. He's not real big into veggies, so I may end up sharing one with my parents. They would love that. As far as zucchini goes, my Mom makes a fabulous zucchini bread. Also, I had some fried zucchini bites that were pretty nummy. Of course, frying isn't very healthy. Razz
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a question regarding a terminology, if there is one.

Let's say I am talking to someone and they are listing a bunch of negative qualities of a person. I correct them on a few, not all or anywhere near, I just say "You know X isn't true, here's proof." Their only response is something along the lines of "Oh, so you are saying they are a good person?"

What is the term for that other than sensationalist bs? I was thinking a form of hyperbole, but I've never been good at these things.

I feel they are trying to dismiss my claim by ignoring it in the grand scheme of things.

I actually just excused myself from the conversation at that point because it was obvious they didn't want one in the first place they just wanted to pander to themselves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 722, 723, 724 ... 753, 754, 755  Next
Page 723 of 755

Jump to: