Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-28: Male Allies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRiver

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She seems to be looking right at Kcils in the third panel. I'd say she sees him and is drawing a connection just now. Either she's realizing that Slick is connected to the guy she saw during her Public Enemy experience, or that Slick has a supernatural problem. Or both. Hopefully both.

Given her response to the Public Enemy thing, asserting that there's no such thing as a male ally, I'd like to see this work out well for both of them: if Xanthe can help Slick take care of his demon issue, she'd have a friend who really is "down with the feminist revolution!" Even if he doesn't always understand it.

What ... what if Xanthe seeks out the aid of Fuchsia and Criminy--Fuchsia has experience with devil people, and Crim surely has some arcane tome sitting around--and they all pull off some sorta exorcism! Eee!
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRiver wrote:
Either she's realizing that Slick is connected to the guy she saw during her Public Enemy experience,

Dunno if you missed the memo, but during said experience she didn't see anything except that it was Slick.

Even if she was able to see the horns and tail in that situation - but it's implied that she couldn't - said horns and tail are the only physical difference. So she would still recognize him as being Slick. I doubt she would look at what is CLEARLY Slick and think that it is anything but Slick.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRiver wrote:
What ... what if Xanthe seeks out the aid of Fuchsia and Criminy--Fuchsia has experience with devil people, and Crim surely has some arcane tome sitting around--and they all pull off some sorta exorcism! Eee!

Pull together Lily, Pebbles and Seymour too and you got it right there.

Last edited by sunember123 on Tue May 28, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually just plain stopped caring about this subplot...
TheRiver

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

Dunno if you missed the memo, but during said experience she didn't see anything except that it was Slick.

Are we sure of that? <looking> ... Ah, reflected in her shades, we don't see Slick's horns, implying she doesn't see them.

Miss Magenta wrote:

Even if she was able to see the horns and tail in that situation - but it's implied that she couldn't - said horns and tail are the only physical difference. So she would still recognize him as being Slick. I doubt she would look at what is CLEARLY Slick and think that it is anything but Slick.

Even if she doesn't see Slick's body modifications in the reflection, she's definitely distracted by its gestures in that third panel, so I still get the impression that she's making some kind of connection here. Guess she could just be confused, but I hope, at least, that she wouldn't just let it go at that.
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly agree that it would be better if she doesn't let it go at that. It's not exactly normal for someone's reflection to act independently from them... it's especially not normal for their reflection to have horns and tail that they do not possess, either. There is definitely something suspicious going on, and she has every reason to want to get to the bottom of things.

And I would genuinely enjoy it if she would investigate matters, and perhaps give us further insight to how devil-Slick functions - since he is not a standard devil person in the least. And it would be pretty excellent if we were given - in general - resolution to the whole devil-Slick subplot.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
She's interacted with Gay Guy, like, once, and she seems mildly ok with him

The implication in this strip
http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4366
is that Gay Guy shares the same sort of bond with Nana as Xanthe does, which would make him...her brother? her cousin? (maybe his real name is a synonym for "blonde" too) Plus, I'd imagine that relatively few gay men are supporters of "the Patriarchy" themselves, since "patriarchal" thinking is a major component of homophobic perspective (i.e. men are "degrading" themselves by "acting like women," women are "getting uppity" by "acting like men"; OSLT).

Miss Magenta wrote:
Meanwhile characters like Criminy, Ezekiel, Storytime Zombie, Li'l Evil, Theo, and Tat's self insert

I'm not sure how well the Sisterhood and the Angels would get along. The Angels are, after all, the primary cheerleaders (literally) of {"the patriarchal"} God, to an even greater extent than Seymour is.

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=1978

Plus, Ariel, even moreso than Fuchsia, seems to not even exist without her male counterpart. A few strips have depicted Ezekiel without Ariel but AFAIK Ariel has never been seen in a strip without Ezekiel. Not even once. What's up with that?

Miss Magenta wrote:
I certainly agree that it would be better if she doesn't let it go at that. It's not exactly normal for someone's reflection to act independently from them... it's especially not normal for their reflection to have horns and tail that they do not possess, either. There is definitely something suspicious going on, and she has every reason to want to get to the bottom of things.

Then again, in a comic strip universe, that might be a situation where you're expected to just sort of mind your own business. I mean, would you want somebody getting nosy about your reflection? Wink
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my current theory is that one of the ways to become a devil person is through behavior + selling your soul - and so Slick is just experiencing a transformation. I think some people are just natural devil peope, and then there are varios demon folk like Li'l E.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
my current theory is that one of the ways to become a devil person is through behavior + selling your soul - and so Slick is just experiencing a transformation.

An interesting theory that could have some substance to it, but isn't it kind of contrary to the actual events that lead to Sleaze's creation?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realized that this strip says Devil-Slick's name is Sleaze. So Sleaze is the canon name?

Chat About
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could definitely be wrong. But I was thinking of how some people, like Seymour and andomly bofed woen, are able to be fixed. With Slick, it's different. While people do seem to notice Sleaze, they don't seem to see him all the time, and no one who knows him well has thought to seek help - and he hasn't asked for it. If he were close to anyone, I think he'd tell them about this.

I'm also thinking of Fuchshia, and how, according to Crim she wasn't always a devil girl. I wonder if becoming a devil person is something that happens over time as someone's life falls apart. And then of course d-man can be there o offer the unfortunate employment. Kind of like a seperate circle of Hell where instead of having hngs done to you, you have to put on a uniform and consciously do things you might once have found wrong.

So whie he was bomfed, other peope get over it. The differences I see here are tat Slick has sold his soul, his solation, and te low point in is life.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:
I just realized that this strip says Devil-Slick's name is Sleaze. So Sleaze is the canon name?

He's tagged as such on the archives, so I'm assuming yes? Maybe?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valerie wrote:

It pretty much is.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, looks like he did ask for psychatric help here - http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=4474

But I would expect him to ask Jesus or somebody else for elp with soething like ths. He's asked Buddhain the past.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, as much as it bugs me, in the context of the strip:

Are there any actual male allies in the comic?

Crim *might* be (he seems like he would be), but he hasn't really done anything for the movement itself. He is, at best a bystander.

I admit I'm sort of excluding pseudo-self-insert Tats because... well, because Meta gets really confusion.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: