welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-05-31: Misogyny
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthain

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this strip is hitting on something totally different than Slick and his flip-flopping ways.

Tat is using the two greatest forms of media to get across a point: brainwashing.

Here we have Slick, who at least 'appears' to be 'trying' to become better, if only so that he can get his friend back. While many may seem to think it's not genuine... this is Slick we're talking about, it would be even more unrealistic if there was an immediate 180 degree change of tune and personality. These things generally don't happen overnight.

No what I see is media, tv and the internet, brainwashing Slick. In panel 3 Slick doesn't even appear to be aware of what he's saying. He's just frolicking happily repeating a mantra over and over without any awareness of what it actually is, not on the surface. We even have those happy go lucky bots flying around him. They've always been associated with innocence and beauty. They're attracted to Slick in that panel which makes me believe Slick is belting out that song without any sort of ill intent or maliciousness, he's just genuinely happy.

It's not until panel four that reality kicks him in the face and he realizes just what it is he's been brainwashed into accepting. It's then that his logical side and his moral views kick out the brainwashing and actually start functioning.

I think Slick was just used as a medium to portray how much brainwashing there is out there, that's what I believe this strip is all about. The topic of the brainwash is irrelevant here in my opinion, Misogyny can easily be replaced with any number of things and the meaning of this strip would still hold true.
crayven

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
Misogyny can easily be replaced with any number of things and the meaning of this strip would still hold true.

So true.
aboutwhistles

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....no.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Kind of reminds me of the Sound of Music in panel 3.

♫ The hills are alive with the sound of misogynyyyyyyyy ♪

Featuring Slick as Maria, Squig as Captain Von Trapp, and their dramatic escape from Dudestria in the wake of the Feminazi annexation.

Oh god, what sick perversion of parody have I created.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
We even have those happy go lucky bots flying around him. They've always been associated with innocence and beauty. They're attracted to Slick in that panel which makes me believe Slick is belting out that song without any sort of ill intent or maliciousness, he's just genuinely happy.

No, the Zen drones are associated with innocence and beauty; they have butterfly wings. THESE drones have the original bat wings, proving they are actually 100% evil DevilCorp creations.

Arthain wrote:
It's not until panel four that reality kicks him in the face and he realizes just what it is he's been brainwashed into accepting. It's then that his logical side and his moral views kick out the brainwashing and actually start functioning.

No, in panel 4 Slick remains brainwashed, and is horrified to discover that somebody could actually be against what he supports.

I agree, Slick has been thoroughly hypnotized by the media - into being a misogynist. That is the point of this comic, regardless of whether or not you want it to be.
Arthain

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Arthain wrote:

No, in panel 4 Slick remains brainwashed, and is horrified to discover that somebody could actually be against what he supports.

Uhh... I think you got the emotions mixed up. People don't get horrified when they realize others are against what they support. That's not a common response.

I've certainly never seen it in real life, or read about it in any story or news article or any form of written or visual media.

However being horrified and shocked is a very common reaction that people that come face to face with flaws they didn't even realize they were exhibiting, especially if those flaws contradict how they thought they lived their lives or wished to live their lives.

And regardless of whether or not I messed up the drones, the entire point I was trying to get across still stands. The strip isn't about Slick and Misogyny, not explicitly, it's about Brainwashing. Slick and Misogyny is just the medium, an example if you will, in which Tat is using to try to get his point across.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthain wrote:
It's not until panel four that reality kicks him in the face and he realizes just what it is he's been brainwashed into accepting. It's then that his logical side and his moral views kick out the brainwashing and actually start functioning..

Oh shit, the things I watched were totally misogyny! aka woman hating!

Was what he didn't say.

Sorry Arthain, even if we went with your whole brainwashing argument, panel 4 clearly shows he hasn't snapped out of it. It just makes Slick a hypocrite.
fake account

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologise for this, I know this is this is extremely inappropriate, but I had to get it out of my head. It's been stuck there since I read the comic.

Misogyny!
Such a wonderful phrase.
Misogeny!
Ain't no passin' craze.
Means no worries,
for the rest of your days!

Misogyny!
Misogyny!
Misogyny!
tricksterson

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a double meaning in the final panel. After all, miniFem was the one shouting "Kill all men!" a few strips ago so she really is a hater, whether Slick knows it or not.
Adyon

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comic is definitely 100% about how people are a slave to the media's brainwashing. I agree. I just also agree with the others that misogyny in this case isn't replaceable. It's still the point as much as the media is. It's like I mentioned about Family Guy. Our media constantly is a barrage of misogynistic stuff without us knowing it.

The fact that it brainwashes us in other ways is also there, but it's just not the focus here.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricksterson wrote:
There might be a double meaning in the final panel. After all, miniFem was the one shouting "Kill all men!" a few strips ago so she really is a hater, whether Slick knows it or not.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really brainwashing per se, but a lot of the time the media just doesn't change. It goes "hey what do people want to see? let's put that out there!"

Except the problem is that it's like putting out loads of dishes of food and seeing which one is eaten the most of and then that one is made more of while the others are ignored.

So imagine there's pizza, caviar, ramen and chicken strips out on some plates in a room. A lot of people have gone for pizza and chicken strips, and only a few people have eaten the caviar and ramen, so they're not put out the next time. Over the next few meals people go mostly for pizza, so they stop putting out the chicken strips. Eventually some people get sick of pizza, but the people putting out the food knows it's been popular in the past.

It's like that with some aspects of the media. Shows where there's been an older unattractive man and a younger quite attractive women married with three kids or more have been popular shows. So there's quite a few sitcoms with those characters in them.

Advertising wants to make men feel good about buying their product, so they associate their product with attractive ladies and being manly and strong. Except this then spreads through all adverts aimed at males, and this influences society in the way of "If you don't want these women (who are all yours for the taking) and you don't want to have seventeen muscles on top of your normal muscles and eat a cow a day then you're not a real man".

The other side of that as well is all of the "getting women" aspects of the media, means that women are thought of the prize. You do well in life, and you get the girl, which leads to advertising for women being about "pleasing your man". So the misogyny there is that a lot of the media says getting the girl is the goal, and women are there to be the prize and look after their man, instead of being people on their own accord. Even if you look at signs which are supposed to represent "people" they tend to represent men not women as the base human.

Slick is just being like a lot of people in this forum, watching the media and taking in the messages, and getting all of the info from culture about the "proper roles" of men and women, without considering the fact there's other genders and actions which all genders can do. Women are attacked all of the time, and expected to take it ( http://fatuglyorslutty.com/ ) but some guys were actually offended by being called "creeps" and thought that was misandry.

It's not really surprising that people take in misogynistic culture, it's just hard for people to look at what they've been doing for years and reject it. Think about all the religious people who're obviously doing bad shit but think "It's for the right cause." There was one fundamental christian who clearly had a gay son and sent him to a therapist to be "cured" because they thought it was the right thing. That kid killed himself but the fundie didn't know why, and of course they were mourning, they didn't understand where they went wrong, they thought they were doing the right thing. It's a similar thing with misogyny. People think they're doing the normal thing because it's what the media shows.

Like when you're watching music videos on the tv, and it's all about looking at a lady not wearing much while dancing or doing activities such as washing a car, that's totally misogynistic tv, especially because of the prevalence. If there was only one video like "Satisfaction" by Benny Benassi www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5bYDhZBFLA then that's one thing, and while this is a particularly strong example, if you just look you can easily find other examples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPzHP746B9Y (and in rock and pop too) There's very few examples of men being treated as sex objects in the way that women are http://www.verbicidemagazine.com/2012/07/11/10-bizarre-misogynistic-vintage-magazine-advertisements/

Generally it's unsuprising that a lot of the world is misogynistic as that's how things have tended to be for the past 200 years or so. It's hard to undo learning, especially when the rest of the world seems to say, "no, men and women are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT women are DESIGNED TO BE SUBSERVIENT men are DESIGNED TO BE STRONG"

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-8-stupidest-defenses-against-accusations-sexism/

edit: last time firefox crashed soz
tricksterson

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
tricksterson wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Because gods forbid anyone should have an opinion different from yours. I acknowledge that the main theme is media brainwashing and Slick's semi-concious hypocrisy, I just noted the irony, perhap intentional, perhaps not, that the one he called a hater is indeed, the most misandrist of the Sisterhood.
Intervention

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to frame this as part of any continuity is silly.

It's been pretty clear to me that when something makes Tat angry or frustrates him, he goes and makes a comic. Which is why the tone and attitudes of characters shift wildly and suddenly each strip.

And I do the same thing, when I get angry or frustrated about something, I go play video games. This strip plays out in much the same way as little temper tantrums I throw in my head over infuriating stuff I read. An hour or so of games typically fixes this the same way I would imagine spending a couple hours making a comic would as well. It's just his happy place (despite what last comic may have suggested).

This isn't Tat trying to degrade Slick, Slick is just being cast as the voice of the "Internet Dudebro" when Tat gets angry at something and feels the need to vent his emotions.

For angry internal voice slick, I suggest a new name for him.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third panel screams forum avatar. *claims!*

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: