welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 699, 700, 701 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific, since my last post was kind of vague, being able to model the human brain will allow researchers to say, "Okay, so according to the model we should find a gene on chromosome N that has affect X," and then focus human research on that area, cutting out a lot of time and money and risk to human subjects. Which will in turn validate and refine the model, making future uses of it more accurate.

The main problem isn't really how we do research, it's just that the human brain is the most complex thing we've ever studied in medicine, and will require huge amounts of time, effort, and money to really understand in the way we understand things like the heart (which, for the record, we still don't understand in its entirety... if you could answer the question, "why do some people go into atrial fibrillation?" you would have yourself a Nobel prize).
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and understanding the brain will open up whole new types of medicine in other areas... for instance neurogenic syncope.
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last month, the ATF did a raid on several local smoke shop/convenience stores to make sure they weren't selling certain items. What they ended up discovering was that these stores were illegally buying/selling Illinois LINK cards (food stamps). The police have thus far arrested 11 people as a result of this for food stamp fraud. The offending shops were closed down, as well.

The game with the card is that people sell their LINK card at below face value for cash which they can use to buy whatever they want.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to hazard a cynical guess that a lot of "whatever they want" consist of street drugs.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
To be more specific, since my last post was kind of vague, being able to model the human brain will allow researchers to say, "Okay, so according to the model we should find a gene on chromosome N that has affect X," and then focus human research on that area, cutting out a lot of time and money and risk to human subjects. Which will in turn validate and refine the model, making future uses of it more accurate.

The main problem isn't really how we do research, it's just that the human brain is the most complex thing we've ever studied in medicine, and will require huge amounts of time, effort, and money to really understand in the way we understand things like the heart (which, for the record, we still don't understand in its entirety... if you could answer the question, "why do some people go into atrial fibrillation?" you would have yourself a Nobel prize).

I imagine it's going to be even harder than that, too, now that epigenetics is emerging as a field, aye?

As someone may have the gene that suggests they should have some degree of neuro-atypical-ness, but since the gene isn't switched 'on', they don't...

Goddamn, nature is fascinating. =)
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
eureka00

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I'm going to hazard a cynical guess that a lot of "whatever they want" consist of street drugs.

*shrug* Hard to say really. I mean they can't make that much off these cards especially if they want to keep any of it for their own use. Usually like $50 for $100 of groceries or something like that.
Dogen

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felgraf wrote:
Dogen wrote:

I imagine it's going to be even harder than that, too, now that epigenetics is emerging as a field, aye?

As someone may have the gene that suggests they should have some degree of neuro-atypical-ness, but since the gene isn't switched 'on', they don't...

Goddamn, nature is fascinating. =)

Yeah, although that's just part and parcel of studying genetics. This is a little beyond my area of expertise, but gene activation (epigenetics) is a pretty important question of why some people get mental illness and some don't (also why some people never get fat, some people lose their hair, etc). In order to answer that question you have to find the gene(s) first, then play around and see what makes them switch.
Him

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far-Right Extremists Chased Through London by Women Dressed as Badgers
Very Happy
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:
Very Happy

and of course the tl;dr in musical form~
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Him wrote:
Very Happy

and of course the tl;dr in musical form~

Lovely.
Meanwhile in Turkey: Turkey's trade unions gather to coordinate general strike in protest of state terror
A little bit of background.
Him

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

Meanwhile in Turkey: Turkey's trade unions gather to coordinate general strike in protest of state terror
A little bit of background.

BBC Analysis: The hopes that blaze in Istanbul
Gawzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, everyone. It has been a long time.

Just came back to discuss an important issue that every American should be discussing: Should we allow our military to use depleted uranium to fight terrorism?

Given the obvious health hazards it brings to our own troops, and innocent civilians, my opinion on the matter is simply, 'hell no and what the flying fuck?". Lets take a look at this video provided by a reliable, independent news source.

Considering the number of mutations, birth defects, and the fact that there are new mutations that no one has ever seen before, what should be done? Are we just going to sit around until it gets worse? Why hasn't Fox, MSNBC, CNN, or any other corporate news outlet in America touched on this?

Sure, you can argue on some of the numbers like that 14 times higher mutations compared to the bombings we did in Japan back in WW2...but the fundamental morality on this is just vacant. These kinds of actions are what tyrants do. What a chilling point in human society, huh?
Anyway, good luck to you sexy peoples.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throw us a bone here... give us a link to a primary source for this information.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depleted uranium is depleted - the radioactivity given off by it is negligible. It's so depleted in fact, that it is used to create containers to carry radioactive substances, because it's extreme density (60% greater than lead) easily blocks Alpha and Beta radiation, as well as greatly impeding Gamma radiation, or blocking it altogether.

Depleted uranium is poisonous however, although so is lead, so that's pretty much a moot point.

There's this big wonderful "Neutrality" tag over the Gulf War Syndrome section of the Depleted Uranium wiki entry, because there hasn't been research that conclusively links DU to causing genetic mutations. There are studies that show that Gulf War veterans are more likely to have children with genetic mutations, and some people say that's because of increased DU munition usage. However, any Stat student will tell you correlation does not equal causation.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about the after effects of the military's microwave compliance weapon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Microwave all the p̶o̶t̶a̶t̶o̶e̶s̶ people!
It read 'Welcome to The End'
Gawzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
There's this big wonderful "Neutrality" tag over the Gulf War Syndrome section of the Depleted Uranium wiki entry, because there hasn't been research that conclusively links DU to causing genetic mutations. There are studies that show that Gulf War veterans are more likely to have children with genetic mutations, and some people say that's because of increased DU munition usage. However, any Stat student will tell you correlation does not equal causation.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about the after effects of the military's microwave compliance weapon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Microwave all the p̶o̶t̶a̶t̶o̶e̶s̶ people!

I'm just a skeptic. When you have cyclops's being born, there is definitely a factor causing that. There hasn't been a relevant study on the matter since 2005. My reservations are with the long term effects of depleted uranium exposures. Since Iraq has been a victim of our ammunition choices for over 20 years, its the only thing I can think of, at the moment. We have admittedly used over 1000 tons of it in 2003, and its been 10 years since then...

Maybe you're right. Maybe the depleted uranium isn't what's causing these mutations. Is there a possibility that we used a mini-nuke? One that doesn't leave much on the ricter scale? We have those, by the way. Still, I feel we shouldn't be using these munitions as they are toxic. If we cleaned up after ourselves, this wouldn't be a problem for public health. Since we are not doing that then we shouldn't be using them. It's our responsibility to clean up the mess we have made. Especially, since no Iraqi was involved with 9/11.

Dogen, here's a study you can look at which is causing me to have doubts about the long term effects of DUs. Unfortunately, there hasn't been enough studies about the long term effects. We need an updated study, in my opinion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 699, 700, 701 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 700 of 807

Jump to: