welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Little Pleasures
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1662, 1663, 1664 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
I'm using a 10-port powered USB hub to both supply power to the Pi (via a 2xUSB-to-micro-B Y cable) and provide extra ports. I was having trouble with it, though, and need to see if an updated version of Raspbian can fix some of the issues that were being caused.
Apparently the Pi foundation had to kind of skimp on the USB controller hardware and it causes a lot of random hangups with many USB hubs. Also, this is a first-gen B board (with half the RAM of current versions); your board might not have the same problem.

From what I've read, it appears the issue I was having was tripping the USB polyfuse when I tried to draw more than ~140mA from the USB sockets. Every time I plugged in the USB stick or the wifi dongle the sudden voltage spike required to start them would draw >140mA, resulting in the Pi restarting.

I'll be getting/making a battery pack with enough juice to run a powered hub and the Pi soon. Also going to pick up a cheap USB keyboard - the only keyboard I had on hand was my gaming keyboard, which uses way too much power.

Edit: Ordered a 7" TFT monitor for it, probably going to be using it as a NES/SNES emulator for a while.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gonna be driving that through one of the video ports or the DSI connector?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to be using the composite (analog) video out for signal, and probably 12 AA's in some sort of series-and-parallel arrangement with a voltage converter to power the display and the Pi. I would have loved to use the HDMI output, but small-size HDMI monitors cost at least a hundred bucks, which kind of defeats the purpose of the Pi as low-cost computing. The 7" TFT I got has A/V input and cost me all of $30, with free shipping.

People were saying that although the monitor lists 12v input voltage, due to the varying power measurements in cars (which it was originally intended for) due to flat batteries giving <12v>12v, the displays actually can run down all the way to 5.5v.

I'm thinking I'll get an old ammo can, mount the screen through the side along with a couple speakers driven by a pocket amp connected to the 3.5mm audio jack, mount a couple USB sockets on the other side, and stick the battery pack, voltage regulator, and Pi inside the ammo can. Portable entertainment, be it movies, music, or NES games.
TIAB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a candid, lengthy conversation with a friend about sex. Being able to discuss that with someone openly is pretty incredible and something I hope to continue.
Lasairfiona

Location: I have to be somewhere? ::runs around frantically::

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritter's avatars have really been making me smile. <3 Transmetropolitan.
Theia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

school is now out for me

life is good
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lasairfiona wrote:
fritter's avatars have really been making me smile. <3 Transmetropolitan.

Glad to hear it. I'll have to find another one soon.

Also: It was a productive day of messing around with electronics. I found a $4 car-to-USB charger with a rating of 1000mA current output. Some gears clicked around in my head, and I realized that this could power a Raspberry Pi. I soldered together 8 cheap dollar store AA batteries to give me a 12v output, disassembled the car charger and soldered some leads onto it, connected the two to give me a portable USB charging system. I was worried that the cheap voltage regulator would possibly fry something, but USB output stays relatively constant @ around 5.37v with no load, which means loaded it should drop quite nicely into the 5vą5% range that USB is rated for.

After charging an Ipod touch up to half charge, and playing around with charging various other USB devices, I decided it was safe enough to try it out with the Pi. The Pi gets through the first 50 lines or so of the booting sequence, before going to a black screen and restarting. I'm chalking this up to it pulling too much current for the USB devices (wireless mouse and wifi adapters), which causes a sudden voltage drop, resulting in the Pi rebooting itself.

I am now thoroughly convinced that using 8 decent quality, fresh rechargable or alkaline batteries (as opposed to the cheap, bad quality carbon-zinc batteries from the dollar store) will give me the juice to run the Pi. Going to pick up a 8 AA battery holder from the local electronics store tomorrow (I'm NOT soldering $20 worth of rechargable batteries together!) and am going to test it out. Might consider using 2 8-packs of AAs in parallel to ease the load on the batteries and double the run time.

Also might be picking up a $17 wireless pocket keyboard + touchpad for the Pi. And got shipping confirmation on the 7" LCD screen, it should be arriving in Point Robert's shortly.

Yayyyy electronics stuff.

Edit: New avatar acquired. Also, I can't believe how giddy I am at cannibalizing a $4 USB charger. Is this how sex is supposed to feel? I think so.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started my lab "internship" last night.

It's in an "underground" lab working with my teacher. It's basically an old run down factory that got cleaned up inside and had a lab put in it. It's full of books, couches, and beer.

Began working on our E.coli work as well. Or rather, rebooted our E.coli work. Trying to make an experiment done at Brown work that they couldn't get to.

Seems like a great place to work all in all. Very well stocked, most of the equipment is handed down from universities so it's a bit dated, but functional. Stuff you'd imagine from a non profit started from a teachers bank account.
Him

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my nieces. they are 4 and 3.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Him wrote:

Kids are pretty fucking great aren't they?

My friend scarlett was telling me a while back about how her 4 year old was "pretty sure" that the easter bunny is actually Dr. Who, because how else could he hide all the eggs without moving through time and space?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:
Him wrote:

Kids are pretty fucking great aren't they?

My friend scarlett was telling me a while back about how her 4 year old was "pretty sure" that the easter bunny is actually Dr. Who, because how else could he hide all the eggs without moving through time and space?
yeah taking a little break from hide and seek and bookreading. it's coffee and dessert time.
Desire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey Mcdermott wrote:

This caused me pause for a moment as I also have a friend named Scarlet (one t though) that also has a 4 year old who i could totally imagine saying something along those lines.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might get the chance to move next door to a functional commune type place! Which would mean we could possibly help with gardening in exchange for some veggies, and maybe build a little coup for button quail.

And even if I don't get to move there, there are some other awesome possibilities. Very Happy And then we would finally get a cat-free office so we can actually for reals rev up our puppet business.

Also I have ice cream and black fabric for making pants.

This is the best day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What part of the pants does the ice cream make?
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1662, 1663, 1664 ... 1715, 1716, 1717  Next
Page 1663 of 1717

Jump to: