Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 702, 703, 704 ... 784, 785, 786  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the PATRIOT act may have been a bit of a fuck up. I bet the one guy who voted against it is laughing right now.

Also, the general apathetic responses are kind of frightening me.
Desire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reasonably sure that over 20 years ago, the government/military was trying to develop technology along with RCA to be able to alter televisions so that they could look into your home at will through them. Actually, sounds kind of like some consoles today.

I am reasonably sure and I do believe it to be true because the man who told me was honest about almost everything (that didn't involve romancing other women). Also, he wasn't really creative enough to come up with it on his own.

Of course, I have been convinced since my childhood that 1984 was only a matter of time and have, for most of my life found it easier to just assume I am never truly alone.

I used to have fun with the idea by sometimes doing bizarre but harmless things for no apparent reason in public (like dancing in the frozen aisle of the supermarket), now I limit myself to every once in a while, when I am alone in my house or car, talking aloud as if I am talking to someone unseen listening. I don't really believe anyone would find me worth listening to, but if they ever do,, at least I'll give them a WTF moment or two. ;D

But really, in general, it is probably for the best to always assume someone can see what you are doing in a room with a TV or console maybe a computer monitor), and definitely that anything you do on the internet or say/type over a phone can be recorded and traced back to you.

Though in actuality, I find it difficult to think that all TVs could be set up to monitor people because there are too many independent repair people who take them apart and know exactly how things should look. It would be much easier to hide in newer technology where it could just be introduced as part of the system. Even better if the technology has stricter rules about who can repair or learn to repair such items. Not that people don't take anything apart, but if you don't know what to look for exactly, would you know what you were seeing?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flying remote control assassin robots took all the fun out of that, though
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile there's been a shooting rampage in Santa Monica that started at someone's home, which was then burned down, involved a carjacking and firing on random passers-by, and ended in the Santa Monica College library with five dead, including the suspect, and several more wounded. Nine crime scenes in all, over roughly one square mile.
It all took place about three miles south of a fundraiser Obama was throwing that day.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire wrote:
I am reasonably sure that over 20 years ago, the government/military was trying to develop technology along with RCA to be able to alter televisions so that they could look into your home at will through them. Actually, sounds kind of like some consoles today.

I am reasonably sure and I do believe it to be true because the man who told me was honest about almost everything (that didn't involve romancing other women). Also, he wasn't really creative enough to come up with it on his own.

Him

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desire: well he doesn't have to be creative to rip off Orwell. Francis E. Dec on the other hand, now there's a creative mind: http://www.bentoandstarchky.com/dec/dectionary.htm#worldwidemaddeadlygangstercomputergod
Sam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Yeah, I can't really muster up outrage because I knew this was likely happening already. And it started getting to be like this during the previous administration, with all the wartime powers and unusually broad interpretations of executive authority that was exercised. It became the new normal. It probably would have even if Bush hadn't been re-elected. Presidents just don't give up powers the office has accumulated.
It makes me sad more than mad, really.

And the only difference between the united states and other major powers in this regard is that only here is the issue being socially addressed in any sense post-leak
Desire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:

Excepting with potential job employers, no where have I ever claimed to be normal. Indeed, the first decade of my life ensured that I never will be. But I am normal enough. ;p

fritterdonut wrote:

It is comforting to know I am not the only one who has such thoughts. Laughing

Quote:
Desire: well he doesn't have to be creative to rip off Orwell.

I would have been shocked if he had ever read anything by George Orwell. Or anything in that genre, or even just read for pleasure, actually. His favorite pastimes were football, hunting, getting drunk, and screwing around. He never finished HS because he got a girl pregnant and married her when he was just 17. It isn't that he was dumb, he got his GED and did well when he joined the navy at their schools. He may have started reading for fun later, after he became a truck driver, but not while I knew him.

There are other things that I do not feel at liberty to discuss (I would honestly be surprised if he were not dead from HIV, a drunk hunting accident, or an angry husband), because they could potentially cause problems but they do make his story more plausible to me. Though honestly, if i were in charge of a 'secret' program, I would not reveal what was really going on to anyone it wasn't absolutely vital to know. So I do not think our TVs are watching us or anything like that. But I do think it likely that that type of technology could be developed for covert surveillance in vehicles and perhaps in some electronics.

Honestly, the way things are going, it really does seem like only a matter of time. And likely, by the time people realize it has happened, it will be too late to change it. I don't see the point in worrying about it, at least not until they change the laws so that they can arrest you here for things you do in your own home with no eyewitness and just possibly illegal footage of video of you doing something illegal. Or until they can arrest you and give no real reason and then detain you for it indefinitely or something.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random stories of note? Well, I will just leave this here then. http://www.ecorazzi.com/2013/06/07/tiger-tests-life-in-captivity-chooses-freedom/
Him

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBC:Is this small Spanish town 'utopia'?
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
Yeah, I can't really muster up outrage because I knew this was likely happening already. And it started getting to be like this during the previous administration, with all the wartime powers and unusually broad interpretations of executive authority that was exercised. It became the new normal. It probably would have even if Bush hadn't been re-elected. Presidents just don't give up powers the office has accumulated.
It makes me sad more than mad, really.

This.

I don't like spying, but I am also far too ignorant to know it it's actually necessary or not, we all are. What I do know is that secrecy is essential to espionage. So every time a wiretap or leak or whatever is made public, I'm a little nervous at the thought that our spies are in fact necessary, but are actually failing at their jobs. I can only slightly find cold comfort in the idea that information that does become public was done so purposefully as part of some larger machinations.

tl; dr If we're gonna have spies, they should at least be good at it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much don't agree with any of that.
Feiticeira

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Darqcyde wrote:
What I do know is that secrecy is essential to espionage.

I dunno, he might be on to something here.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feiticeira wrote:
WheelsOfConfusion wrote:

Darqcyde wrote:
What I do know is that secrecy is essential to espionage.

I dunno, he might be on to something here.

Haven't you heard that the best place to hide something is in plain sight? The FBI and CIA should dump all their records by reading them aloud on CSPAN, thus ensuring that nobody will ever listen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 702, 703, 704 ... 784, 785, 786  Next
Page 703 of 786

Jump to: