welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-10: Internet Cafe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^I agree

today's comic is completely worthless except maybe as character development
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Arthain wrote:
She's alive alright... and breaking the law at the same time.

There's probably a half dozen or more charges that could be leveled against her for what she just did, including threatening bodily harm with a weapon and theft.

Not quite sure what Tat is aiming at in this strip. It's neither funny nor can I see any real underlying meaning behind it..

Message of this strip:
Breaking the law as a woman is FINE.
You go girl !!

Or it could be that this strip merely is showing where she currently is and what she's doing. It's not meant to be extremely funny. It's not meant to have some underlying message. It's just story that lets us know she's still around (and possibly sets up for what she's doing next)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god forbid we have story comics
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
I don't really recalled "LOLing" at people getting threatened with violence.

i wonder if a journey into your posting record would agree with that.

or what other interesting things we find that it turns out you "LOL" at...
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know...It's all gotta be serious business with a message or make with the lulz apparently.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:

Who gave her claws and built a capacity for violence into her?

Not the Sisterhood.

Not necessarily, yes it could be hypothesized that the bots were programmed with these features in them, but we can't be sure.

My argument comes from the Sentient Fembots very creation. The reality zone, up till that time worked a certain way, but that was completely changed for the creation of the fembot.

If reality doesn't even follow reality in this comic, then whats to say that programming cant be equally broken.

Maybe the programming and claws WERE supplied by the sisterhood, maybe there was only docile obedience from Devil Corp.

Sadly thanks to that "break" in reality, we need to question how EVERYTHING works now.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
I know...It's all gotta be serious business with a message or make with the lulz apparently.

Well maybe it's because if it had been a reversed situation, it WOULD have been a big message.

Man comes in with computer.
Female attendant comes over "Excuse me sir, the power is for paying customers on-"
Man raises his fist in a threatening manner.
Woman backs away afraid while man continues his work.

I mean if this was shown in any other way, it's a big problem, but when a female does it, it's just "character development" or "just for the lulz".

Yes it might be those last two things, but then you fall into "Acceptable Targets"
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I don't see how that would be a message, even if it was a guy doing it. There's no implied meaning to the chain of events to make you think either person has been victimized in such a way as to warrant that kind of thinking. Maybe a guy might have gotten more angry messages about him? Maybe not, if he was a completely random confused "being" like she is. But, the truth is, there still wouldn't seem to be any secret meaning. It's a robot that doesn't understand it's wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adyon wrote:
Actually I don't see how that would be a message, even if it was a guy doing it. There's no implied meaning to the chain of events to make you think either person has been victimized in such a way as to warrant that kind of thinking. Maybe a guy might have gotten more angry messages about him? Maybe not, if he was a completely random confused "being" like she is. But, the truth is, there still wouldn't seem to be any secret meaning. It's a robot that doesn't understand it's wrong.

So even though she knows that violence against her kind is wrong, the opposite is unknown to her?
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "her kind," you mean sentient robots, of course...
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
When you say "her kind," you mean sentient robots, of course...

Well THAT is a loaded question. Do we actually know that the fembots thought that the things happening to women in history was actually human women, or just other fembots? Is their fight from a misconception, or is it out of anger for another group?

I don't think anyone here can answer that.

But still, if you know its wrong to hurt your group, or people that look like your group, can you really truthfully say that understanding the opposite would be hard for them?
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Rune wrote:

Not the Sisterhood.

Not necessarily, yes it could be hypothesized that the bots were programmed with these features in them, but we can't be sure.

My argument comes from the Sentient Fembots very creation. The reality zone, up till that time worked a certain way, but that was completely changed for the creation of the fembot.

If reality doesn't even follow reality in this comic, then whats to say that programming cant be equally broken.

Maybe the programming and claws WERE supplied by the sisterhood, maybe there was only docile obedience from Devil Corp.

Sadly thanks to that "break" in reality, we need to question how EVERYTHING works now.

Check again. The assembly-line bot threatens Devilbert with claws immediately after stepping off of the conveyor belt. We never saw any of the sisterhood break in and meddle physically with the fembots in the factory, only hack in from the outside and mess with software. There is no reason whatsoever to think that the Sisterhood physically armed the bots. Nothing within the comic supports that. We have seen Curly go out of her way to use non-bloody means to defend herself, even when the Bomf Guardian was going after her with an axe, and she had a chainsaw at her disposal. There is nothing, but nothing, to support the idea that the Sisterhood is arming anybody with weapons of any kind, or is promoting violence against anyone.

The only thing that the reality zone clearly and directly changed for Botsy is whether anybody else had external external control her. It severed her link to her "owner." Her other change was subsequent, when she found the scrap heap of "defective" fembots at the sabotaged factory, and downloaded their brief experience there, including the information from the Sisterhood. That expanded her emotional range, and her knowledge of the things that the Sisterhood showed the fembots. We are shown that pretty specifically. It's not some big mystery. Compared to other fembots, as we have been shown them, she has no connection to an owner or an outside controller, she has an expanded emotional range, and she has knowledge of female oppression.

Those things can have big implications, but it's not like it was all cast to the wind in those moments.
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Rune wrote:

Not the Sisterhood.

Check again. The assembly-line bot threatens Devilbert with claws immediately after stepping off of the conveyor belt. We never saw any of the sisterhood break in and meddle physically with the fembots in the factory, only hack in from the outside and mess with software. There is no reason whatsoever to think that the Sisterhood physically armed the bots. Nothing within the comic supports that. We have seen Curly go out of her way to use non-bloody means to defend herself, even when the Bomf Guardian was going after her with an axe, and she had a chainsaw at her disposal. There is nothing, but nothing, to support the idea that the Sisterhood is arming anybody with weapons of any kind, or is promoting violence against anyone.

The only thing that the reality zone clearly and directly changed for Botsy is that anybody else has external control her. It severed her link to her "owner." Her other change was subsequent, when she found the scrap heap of "defective" fembots at the sabotaged factory, and downloaded their brief experience there, including the information from the Sisterhood. That expanded her emotional range, and her knowledge of the things that the Sisterhood showed the fembots. We are shown that pretty specifically. It's not some big mystery. Compared to other fembots, as we have been shown them, she has no connection to an owner or an outside controller, she has an expanded emotional range, and she has knowledge of female oppression.

Those things can have big implications, but it's not like it was all cast to the wind in those moments.

Well technically the reality shouldn't have severed the link, but made the controller only move her body and made her much more robotic, we don't have thinking or feeling robots at this time. So the reality zone gave her a special property (free will) that she never had before.

So with this in mind, I can argue that the hacking that they did included a packet that made them angry and gave them the ability to creat claws from their hand. Yes in reality the hacking should have only changed their programming and gave them more range, but reality as we know it doesn't exist in Sinfest.

Again you cannot change the way something has always worked, then not expect anyone to argue other things DON'T work how they always worked.

Reality zone can give sentience, hacking can give claws.
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Adyon wrote:

So even though she knows that violence against her kind is wrong, the opposite is unknown to her?

I think you're missing that people don't have to fully understand "right" vs "wrong" to get angry. Feelings like anger don't come from knowing something was wrong. They come from seeing something that makes you mad, personally. Look at characters like the Hulk from Marvel. Originally the Hulk is an angry wild beast, simply reacting to things. He's not choosing to do things out of a sense of justice or what is right. He's just angry and doing what he wants. It takes a long time before he becomes more responsive and considerate as Hulk.

Our fembot here could still be considered very "immature" so far, as she only has a few set of emotions we've seen and very little learning. She's considered a sympathetic character, as she's had a lot of crap happen to her. It doesn't mean she's necessary choosing right or wrong herself though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always amazing the lengths some will go to blame everything on the Sisterhood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: