Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-10: Internet Cafe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me you aren't missing the obvious, obvious, OBVIOUS point of that Reality Zone strip.

Real girls do not have owners or remote controls, real girls have their own motivation and do not exist just to do what men want them to.

Slick took Botsy to the Reality Zone because Curly yelled that Botsy was fake. Slick apparently didn't like the implications of that, and wanted his bot to be a real girl. So he took her to the Reality Zone to inject some reality into his purchased girlfriend.

Except it doesn't work that way in reality, because real women are their own people. Joke's on Slick, because if you want a relationship with a real girl, you actually have to have a relationship with a real girl.

Freaking DUH.

It's not always predictable what the "reality" version of a thing within the Sinfest 'verse will be, but it's pretty damn obvious what happened to Botsy right then and there.

She left him standing there and ran off on her own volition while she HAD her own volition. Who knows if he could have found her again before the factory incident and re-established control once outside of the Reality Zone again, or if the factory incident will somehow protect her if he does try later? But she got away while control was broken in the Reality Zone, and there has been no attempt on Slick's part to re-establish it after that.
Adyon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Reality zone can give sentience, hacking can give claws.

Actually you can totally argue this. However, it would have needed to been implied in the actual comic for anyone to take it serious as an argument. We can believe she got freewill because it was shown happening in the comic. However, all the comic shows about the claws is that they EXIST on the robots. So while you could speculate that hypothesis, it would be purely theoretical, while what happened in the reality zone has actual validity for being shown happening.

Also the overwhelming evidence leans to imply that the claws WEREN'T some random programming is there too, as it's not how the Sisterhood had been operating at any other time, so I don't know how you're going to argue this seriously with anyone here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Please tell me you aren't missing the obvious, obvious, OBVIOUS point of that Reality Zone strip.

Real girls do not have owners or remote controls.

Slick took Botsy to the Reality Zone because Curly yelled that Botsy was fake. Slick apparently didn't like the implications of that, and wanted his bot to be a real girl. So he took her to the Reality Zone to inject some reality into his purchased girlfriend.

Except it doesn't work that way in reality, because real women are their own people.

Freaking DUH.

It's not always predictable what the "reality" version of a thing within the Sinfest 'verse will be, but it's pretty damn obvious what happened to Botsy right then and there.

She left him standing there and ran off on her own volition while she HAD her own volition. Who knows if he could have found her again before the factory incident and re-established control once outside of the Reality Zone again, or if the factory incident will somehow protect her if he does try later? But she got away while control was broken in the Reality Zone, and there has been no attempt on Slick's part to re-establish it after that.

That would be great, if the fembot actually was a real girl, she's a fembot with an off switch and programming.

It's a great example, great ideas, but again, your missing the point that she never WAS real, she was a robot. And the reality zone gave life to this animate object, but not a real person.

And also if you want to say that the reality zone does life lessons, why didn't Seymour become a real person when he entered the reality zone, instead of a more realistic looking version of himself.

And why did the reality zone give slick what he wanted just to snub him? Wouldn't it be more telling if the robot became more robotic, less lifelike, and less advanced? Showing that "something that is fake, will always be fake."
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Rune wrote:

Except it doesn't work that way in reality, because real women are their own people.

Freaking DUH.

That would be great, if the fembot actually was a real girl, she's a fembot with an off switch and programming.

It's a great example, great ideas, but again, your missing the point that she never WAS real, she was a robot. And the reality zone gave life to this animate object, but not a real person.

And also if you want to say that the reality zone does life lessons, why didn't Seymour become a real person when he entered the reality zone, instead of a more realistic looking version of himself.

And why did the reality zone give slick what he wanted just to snub him? Wouldn't it be more telling if the robot became more robotic, less lifelike, and less advanced? Showing that "something that is fake, will always be fake."

You're missing a very important point. That might be how you would write the Reality Zone working in this case.

But that is NOT how Tat wrote it, and he's kind of the author.

To copypasta-reiterate:

Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good golly gosh goshdingers gadzooks

Here I look at the comic and think: Lol fembot you so cray cray and I go into the forum and BAM WOMEN CAN DO NO WRONG SISTERHOOD IS EVIL IF GUYS DO IT WE ARE IMPRISONED 4EVERS!!

Added with a dash of i'm too good for this lowbrow humor elitism and mental gymnastics.

I didn't know you guys wanted to win Bingo so much.

So for the people who want a normal discussion and not derail off to blaming women, do you think botsy should install a battery inlet in her body (she'd have to steal the batteries tho... D=)?
Rothide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Rothide wrote:
Rune wrote:

Freaking DUH.

You're missing a very important point. That might be how you would write the Reality Zone working in this case.

But that is NOT how Tat wrote it, and he's kind of the author.

To copypasta-reiterate:

My point is that because he changed it, anyone can argue that the way things should work, how you would work it, doesn't actually work that way.

So again, completely valid theory that hacking could give the fembots claws.

Either way though, let's end here. All this comic can clearly state is that Fembot is going to have to be reigned in a bit.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Good golly gosh goshdingers gadzooks

Here I look at the comic and think: Lol fembot you so cray cray and I go into the forum and BAM WOMEN CAN DO NO WRONG SISTERHOOD IS EVIL IF GUYS DO IT WE ARE IMPRISONED 4EVERS!!

Added with a dash of i'm too good for this lowbrow humor elitism and mental gymnastics.

I didn't know you guys wanted to win Bingo so much.

So for the people who want a normal discussion and not derail off to blaming women, do you think botsy should install a battery inlet in her body (she'd have to steal the batteries tho... D=)?

I'm just pleased as punch you just picked up my fan-name for her, so I'll go right along with it. Yes! Yes, more better batteries for Botsy!

There's . . . there's a "Betty Botter" parody in there somewhere. Gimme some time...
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
My point is that because he changed it, anyone can argue that the way things should work, how you would work it, doesn't actually work that way.

So again, completely valid theory that hacking could give the fembots claws.

Either way though, let's end here. All this comic can clearly state is that Fembot is going to have to be reigned in a bit.

Oh noes! One thing in the meta-workings of the Sinfest 'verse didn't happen just as I thought it should! Up is down, gravity is banana muffin, snorf verbs the purplish! All my biases are confirmed because everything and nothing at the same time!

*facepalm*

(Fine. I'll be done now if you are.)
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:

I'm just pleased as punch you just picked up my fan-name for her, so I'll go right along with it. Yes! Yes, more better batteries for Botsy!

There's . . . there's a "Betty Botter" parody in there somewhere. Gimme some time...

Botsy is an excellent name! Very Happy
Mercian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I pretend that I'd simply curl up and die without my computer, it's not strictly true. Botsy needs power to sustain her, whatever she's now become. So there's little parallel to be drawn between a man plugging in his laptop and Botsy recharging. If this hypothetical guy turned out to desperately need his laptop running to maintain his remote-regulated internal organs, I'd have some sympathy for him. I'd still say he needed a better way to explain to the hypothetical woman rather than raising his fist, but I'd accept the action was born out of desperation, rather than malice. You'd also have to ask how capable is Botsy of communicating outside of her programmed vocabulary? Were fembots given the phrase 'need to recharge'?
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Well maybe it's because if it had been a reversed situation, it WOULD have been a big message.

Man comes in with computer.
Female attendant comes over "Excuse me sir, the power is for paying customers on-"
Man raises his fist in a threatening manner.
Woman backs away afraid while man continues his work.

I mean if this was shown in any other way, it's a big problem, but when a female does it, it's just "character development" or "just for the lulz".

Yes it might be those last two things, but then you fall into "Acceptable Targets"

This argument is some Grade A Bullshit because she didn't go into this internet café to check her goddamned Facebook, she needed electricity to SURVIVE. If you're telling me that you wouldn't raise your fist in a threatening manner to avoid starvation, I'll tell you that you're a fucking liar.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's say a man who is a runaway slave breaks into a shop and takes some food - because he can't get a job and doesn't have any means of supporting himself or other knowledge of the outside world. He is starving at this point and in danger of dying. He scares the crap out of a woman cashier who tries to tell him that food is for paying customers.

Does that story say, "Hey, men should take what they want by force! That silly woman should just put up with violence!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some seem to be missing that what Pebbles did during her first few days (hours?) of "existence" -- over two years ago, months before the Sisterhood had even made their triumphant return -- constituted far more serious criminal activity than what Femmy is doing here, yet as far as I know the general readership thinks Pebbles is a perfectly cool character.

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3918

If it's "acceptable" for Pebbles to steal actual physical objects worth (I'm guessing) over a hundred dollars or so and to use potentially lethal force on police officers, then, really, what isn't acceptable?

Is it because Pebbles, as someone who was personally transformed by The frickin' Devil, more or less exists entirely outside of the patriarchy/matriarchy paradigm? So it's okay for The Devil to "create" a criminal but not for the Sisterhood to do so? Is that the deal here?

If so, how odd.
Rune

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to mention the matter of things being in or out of character.

The Sisterhood won't even use lethal weapons in their own defense. When threatened, Curly used Kreeptonite and Xanthe took off on her jet-trike.

The Devil is constantly creating minions who not only have claws, but can blast fire, and then they frequently get pitchforks on top of that.

So what makes more sense? That the bot-claws were somehow magically created by the Sisterhood through a software hack in order to lethally arm the fembots?

Or that Devilcorp put them there in the first place, perhaps under the auspices of fulfilling particular fetishes or letting the bots guard their owners, but possibly as a, shall we say, hidden clause in the deal to make sure Devilcorp could stick their hooks in when needed?

Which scenario is more in character?

Really, it's not that hard. It's not a trick question.

The only possible way anyone could answer "The Sisterhood," would be if they were answering from their own anti-feminist biases against them, rather than anything that they've done in-comic.

If the fembots suddenly started shooting Kreeptonite from their fingers, I'd buy that the Sisterhood could be behind that, because that would be more in-character for them, and almost impossible to imagine Devilcorp loading up their sex-bots with, since Kreeptonite pretty specifically repels their target market.
Dogen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus assuming the Sisterhood caused the claws requires evidence that doesn't exist. It's coming to a conclusion - the Sisterhood bears some blame in this - and then creating scenarios to make that theory work.

It's ironic that people complain Tat isn't very subtle with his points and "tells" us too much, but then bend over backwards to invent ways to blame characters for something they're never shown doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: