Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-10: Internet Cafe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you're in the camp of people who needs to see someone completely humbled and desperate, having hit absolute bottom and knife's edge peril, before you'll countenance any sort of deviant-from-normal choices made in getting their needs met.

Good to know.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot - using coffeeshop electricity without buying anything is terrible. A local coffee shop went out of business because of a similar thing.

The best place to go without money would be a publc library, which Sinfest has. They could probably also help er find resources. But she's probably in no fit state to listen to directions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:
Why the hell does Botsy, who is effectively an escaped slave, need to be polite and respectful of the rules of a society that has created her to be enslaved and then supported her continuing enslavement? Jesus fucking christ.

Cause the person who runs the shop did NOTHING of that to her?
SO?! Maybe she's cranky because she's so low on energy. BAM, there's your goddamned evidence that she's in desperate need to recharge.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Rothide, you've assumed these things:

1. Ths is an example of a double standard, because a man behaving this way would be treated as evil and creepy, while a woman doing this thing is respectable.

2. That this android fembot is not a person - which negates your first idea, since a person and a non-person are too different. We don't call an escaped tiger creepy. We catch it and shoot it if need be, and feel badly for it even if it killed someone, because it was supposed to be in a secure environment living its happy tiger life.

3. You read her as unapologetically sitting there, all up in his face after threatening him. Like she's purposelly being an asshat - like something se decided to do so she could dominate and terrorize him.

Why do you read that into this comic? Wht do you actually see there that supports ths interpretation.

If you want to argue about he comic, you have to understand that other people read this strip differently from you, and therefore don't see what you see. No use blaming people for something they aren't actually agreeing with (A double standard) when you don't know whether they agree or not. Try typing back what you think everyone is saying net time for clarification before akingyour arguments.

Can you at least explain why she HAD to steal from this person. There HAS to be free places around here?

From what Im getting is "If your starving, and there is a choice between a free soup kitchen and a fine dining establishment, run into the fine dining, steal a steak from a tray of food, run away and eat it, and it's justified because your starving.

And you can't tell me that this is the only place in town that has electrical outlets, I mean they have the coffee shop that Monique performs in, would that really be such a stretch that she never saw people charging a computer there?
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
So, you're in the camp of people who needs to see someone completely humbled and desperate, having hit absolute bottom and knife's edge peril, before you'll countenance any sort of deviant-from-normal choices made in getting their needs met.

Good to know.

I'm saying that if there is a choice between free and stealing through threatening violence, the free choice is a bit better.

And yes, free might not be the best food, but electricity is fucking electricity, it doesn't have ages like wine.
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, if you choose to look at it in a certain way, all we can really "prove" is that was showing the guy that she has claws.

"Look at my shiny claws! Aren't they pretty?"

That's the route I'd take if I was defending her in court, anyway. Wink
Tekii

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you acting like she purposely bypassed every single place that she might have been able to charge free just so she could steal electricity from there?
Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, how do we even know there are places in Sinfest with free electricity?

I've heard of free wifi, but not free electricity. I highly doubt my McD's will let me charge my phone without ordering a burger.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

1. Ths is an example of a double standard, because a man behaving this way would be treated as evil and creepy, while a woman doing this thing is respectable.

2. That this android fembot is not a person - which negates your first idea, since a person and a non-person are too different. We don't call an escaped tiger creepy. We catch it and shoot it if need be, and feel badly for it even if it killed someone, because it was supposed to be in a secure environment living its happy tiger life.

3. You read her as unapologetically sitting there, all up in his face after threatening him. Like she's purposelly being an asshat - like something se decided to do so she could dominate and terrorize him.

Why do you read that into this comic? Wht do you actually see there that supports ths interpretation.

If you want to argue about he comic, you have to understand that other people read this strip differently from you, and therefore don't see what you see. No use blaming people for something they aren't actually agreeing with (A double standard) when you don't know whether they agree or not. Try typing back what you think everyone is saying net time for clarification before akingyour arguments.

Can you at least explain why she HAD to steal from this person. There HAS to be free places around here?

From what Im getting is "If your starving, and there is a choice between a free soup kitchen and a fine dining establishment, run into the fine dining, steal a steak from a tray of food, run away and eat it, and it's justified because your starving.

And you can't tell me that this is the only place in town that has electrical outlets, I mean they have the coffee shop that Monique performs in, would that really be such a stretch that she never saw people charging a computer there?

Here: My explanation: She didn't know any better.

While I think that, I do not also think it was the best of choices. I think it would be better if she didn't do this next time. But my opinion of what is smart or good doesn't mean I can't show understanding and compassion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Rothide wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

Here: My explanation: She didn't know any better.

While I think that, I do not also think it was the best of choices. I think it would be better if she didn't do this next time. But my opinion of what is smart or good doesn't mean I can't show understanding and compassion.

But she was told by the manager that what she was doing wasn't allowed. Wouldn't that make it so that she would know better? I'll go back to the eye bot, she understood exactly that it was telling her to go back and get repaired, and she told him no. So she must understand speech?

Though I guess one could argue that the eyebot gave her a command that was programmed into her to understand and she was able to reject.

And as for starvation, I just don't see her reacting appropriately for starving. She just seems too calm for it to be something that stressful. I loose internet I act a bit more worried than this girl is. In my eye it looks like she's just topping off the gas tank, rather than running on fumes and getting a much needed refill.

Either way, I believe I said this before, but at the end of it all, she needs someone to talk to her and tell her "You don't do something like that." And I think everyone here can agree with, and have actively stated, that.
Rune

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think you're still a dickwad for being in the camp of people who needs to see someone completely humbled and desperate, having hit absolute bottom and knife's edge peril, before you'll countenance any sort of deviant-from-normal choices made in getting their needs met.

Whether someone appeals to your particular opinion on what a poor, starving, or needy person should look like has no bearing whatsoever on what their circumstance actually is, and whether or not they deserve compassion.

Nobody is arguing that it would not have been better if she had done it a different way.

What we're arguing about is how "willful" and knowing it was, and I think you're being a snide prat on that count.

Also, someone who was manufactured and up until very, very recently WAS a piece of property might not be particularly clear on ideas of ownership and property transactions, and might not be sympathetic towards those ideas if she were. After all, Slick -technically- still owns her, bought and paid for.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
I mean she could have went to a coffee shop, It might not be like this everywhere but most places offer free wifi, and usually that includes free electricity. Instead she goes to the one place that requires you to pay for that service, and chooses to use force to get that service for free.

um....she went into an internet cafe. which would be a coffee shop. the ones around here, at least, _do_ expect you to at least spring for a cup of coffee if you want to plug in.

in other words, she did exactly what you suggest she do. and got pretty much the response the real world will give you.

what makes you think that this is "the one place that requires you to pay"? what evidence do you have that sinfestia abounds in places that let you have free wifi?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can she be reacting too calmly, yet also behaving too violetly and threatening against the employee?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
Rothide wrote:
I mean she could have went to a coffee shop, It might not be like this everywhere but most places offer free wifi, and usually that includes free electricity. Instead she goes to the one place that requires you to pay for that service, and chooses to use force to get that service for free.

um....she went into an internet cafe. which would be a coffee shop. the ones around here, at least, _do_ expect you to at least spring for a cup of coffee if you want to plug in.

in other words, she did exactly what you suggest she do. and got pretty much the response the real world will give you.

what makes you think that this is "the one place that requires you to pay"? what evidence do you have that sinfestia abounds in places that let you have free wifi?

I think the real world would call the cops, and then she'd eventually be referred to welfare agencies, since she is homeless and unable to function in everyday society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: