welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-10: Internet Cafe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, especially if she hung around for a while.

hey - maybe that will be this sunday's strip, a day in the life of fembot being put into the welfare system!
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we've seen panhandlers and hobos, but not really any broke folks on assistance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm worried her manufacturer will be called to be informed of a 'defective bot' and they'll try shutting her off to reformat Sad
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekii wrote:
I'm worried her manufacturer will be called to be informed of a 'defective bot' and they'll try shutting her off to reformat Sad

This is also my worry. Wonder if Slicky has called her in as missing or to get a refund.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick strikes me as the kind of guy who never keeps the receipt.

can't get a refund without the receipt.
Rothide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must be rationalizing based on what goes around here, there is a pretty lax attitude around here, even getting a cup of water is enough to let you use the facilities, and sometimes, if you ask nicely, they will let you charge up something if its an emergency without buying anything.

So I guess around here, what she did could be considered wrong, while from where the other people on the board come from, she did what she had to do.

I stumbled into a logical fallacy there, sorry about that.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever starved, Rothide? It does funky things to the brain.

I think it's more that we understand why she did what she did. The concern for her doesn't mean that there is no concern for the employee. Expressing sympathy for her doesn't mean anyone thinks it's alright to harass or threaten employees of a business.

That's why I mentioned Jean Valjean awhile back. Have you read or watched Les Miserables? Jean Valjean stole bread to feed his sister's children.

In the books, it is further explained that he'd been good at his job as a gardener (or hedge trimmer, something like that), but he wasn't able to get work for years. He was not very communicative, his life up until he stole bread was just one very long drudge. He'd come home and speak to no one, and he'd wake up and go to work. Miserable, but at least everyone ate - till he could find no work.

There was a brief mention in the books that the sister and her children probably all died because there was no one to provide for them once Valjean went to prison (first for five, then eventually for 19 years.)

I personally understand why the shopkeeper in that case would want retribution. Some asshole stole the merchandise and broke a window! Glass is expensive to replace now, but much more so then. But that hardly keeps me from sympathizing with Jean Valjean and how his circumstances led him to make the choice he did.

He could have possibly asked for help from a church. I don't remember if the book mentions why he stole from a shop. But for whatever reason, he either didn't know he could or didn't think he could or he was too hungry and miserable to think properly. In the rest of the book, catholic figures are shown to be helpful and good, yet he didn't go to them for help first.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
So I guess around here, what she did could be considered wrong, while from where the other people on the board come from, she did what she had to do.

Those are not mutually exclusive.
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree too much with both sides, here.

I feel like Fembot(what's her name, or at least fan-name? Is that it?) is acting more like Pebbles, feral and instinctive, rather than an android programmed with a wide variety of social customs (even if based on patriarchal norms). Maybe I missed something, but she didn't appear to be so close to battery-death that stealing a recharge was necessary. It's not an unreasonable assumption, but it's still an assumption, unless I've missed something obvious.

I feel like she's acting more out of anger than desperation, personally. Having been presented with that program, back at the factory, showing the worst that the patriarchy has to offer (and the pile of dead fembots that were collateral damage in that worldview), in all it's widespread glory, I think she's taking it out on those she meets.

I can sympathize with her anger, but she should still be calmed.

Though I may be biased. I've felt since she left the fembot factory that this Fembot would be the 'radfem' of the comic. Maybe I'm wrong, but that colors how I see her interactions.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you calm someone who has been created for the sole purpose of pleasing someone, losing said purpose, put on the world with no help and without knowing how it works but knowing you need to survive?
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
How do you calm someone who has been created for the sole purpose of pleasing someone, losing said purpose, put on the world with no help and without knowing how it works but knowing you need to survive?

Personally, I find it hard to believe that programmers could create an android with the capacity to convince its 'owner' of the sincerity of its feelings, without also including knowledge of basic social customs to avoid violent outbreaks when they get into situations like 'being in a strange place, possibly low on batteries, I should ask if I can charge before I whip out the "CLAWS.".'

However, since I'm probably overthinking a webcomic again, I'll just say that even if, yes, she IS in a shitty situation wherein she deems that action necessary, it doesn't change the fact that it is wrong (or at least not right) and she should be taught how to act properly in society withOUT reverting to her programmed patriarchal instincts OR resorting to violence.

That looks coherent from where I'm sitting.
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for Nana picking her up and helping her out with more than just wool clothes. :3
CalmBlueSea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah.

Solidarity, ho! *fistbump*
Yinello

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalmBlueSea wrote:
Hell yeah.

Solidarity, ho! *fistbump*

Woohoo!
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalmBlueSea wrote:
Yinello wrote:

Personally, I find it hard to believe that programmers could create an android with the capacity to convince its 'owner' of the sincerity of its feelings, without also including knowledge of basic social customs to avoid violent outbreaks when they get into situations like 'being in a strange place, possibly low on batteries, I should ask if I can charge before I whip out the "CLAWS.".'

However, since I'm probably overthinking a webcomic again, I'll just say that even if, yes, she IS in a shitty situation wherein she deems that action necessary, it doesn't change the fact that it is wrong (or at least not right) and she should be taught how to act properly in society withOUT reverting to her programmed patriarchal instincts OR resorting to violence.

That looks coherent from where I'm sitting.

I could see them programming some defense mechanisms in her in case her owner was attacked or in danger. So if she feels in danger now, it akes sense to me those things would come out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: