welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-08: A Boy That Nobody Liked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*hugs from the other side, combining strength with ChastMastr to partially crush MerchManDan*
Moor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Joins in hug-pile*
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, I've never been happier to have my breathing constricted. Ragequit averted.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hug-pile dive!

*dives*
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on early Li'l E in 2002:

Here he's being reasonably friendly to 'Nique and Slick:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=980
(Hey, he may be pathetic and misguided, Slick, but at least he's happy in his pathetic misguidedness, more than you and 'Nique were able to say at that particular moment.)

Here he's doing his typical "debate" shtick with Seymour, but he's being rather light-hearted about it, like it's just good fun, so maybe that should count for something:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=1053

===

And here's what is, in retrospect, sort of an ironic moment:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=1013

"Son of a bad person"? Seymour finally got something right and, eleven years later, he still doesn't know it.

Last edited by Ronald on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, i wish i had time to just go through the archives - all kinds of good stuff there. i thought this one (from the sequence after 'fanatics') was interesting:

so maybe that's why li'l e seems to have no memory that the devil is his father - god brainwashed him and sent him to torment his dad.
Ronald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
man, i wish i had time to just go through the archives - all kinds of good stuff there.

Well, when you're searching for something specific (in this case, the sight of Li'l E), it only takes about a second per strip -- click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click -- until you find an example of what you want. Then you pause to make note of that and it's back to click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click

Wink

In this case, it was even easier, because I skimmed past strips that didn't have Li'l E talking to any of the other characters. I found a few examples of Li'l E being relatively nice to Slick, 'Nique, Seymour, and others, and vice versa, proving that they were capable of getting along now and then. If there's an interest, I'll post some more of those strips later.

Li'l E, as was, was kind of like the grouchy bitter old neighbor down the block or hall (except young, of course). Maybe nobody actively seeks out his company, but hey, he's there, he's part of the community, you're pretty much going to see him every day no matter what (he's Seymour's next door neighbor; until Li'l E became all introverted, they probably used to see each other more often than either of them saw any of the other characters), it doesn't cost anything to be civil to him. Usually. Now and then, the other characters even seemed to find him a bit amusing, so there's that.

Being a jerk to a jerk (or, to use the strip's more common vernacular, a creep to a creep) is usually more trouble than it's worth. Why actively aggravate yourself? Besides, civility confuses creeps because they don't understand it. Wink
mouse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
mouse wrote:
man, i wish i had time to just go through the archives - all kinds of good stuff there.

Well, when you're searching for something specific (in this case, the sight of Li'l E), it only takes about a second per strip -- click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click -- until you find an example of what you want. Then you pause to make note of that and it's back to click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click-click

Wink

yeah, but whenever people post old strips, i find myself clicking back and forth to see what happened before and after, and i find all sorts of things i had forgotten about. i want to go back and enjoy them all again.
Ennis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Lil'E so much you don't even know. So glad my registration finally went through for this forum, because I was spamming my Facebook with links to Sinfest trying to get someone else to read it so I could gush about it with them. But no one did Sad But now I can talk about it here!

Anyway, I think someone was saying before "shouldn't he realise Pebbles likes him?" and I actually think it's pretty plausible he really doesn't think that she does. I don't think he thinks that she dislikes him, just that maybe she hangs around him because she doesn't have anywhere else to go and they're both (half) devil people, and they're sort of helping each other. My personal theory is he has something akin to social anxiety disorder, which was there before but was covered up by the brash persona he put on, telling himself he didn't care if people liked him or not, deliberately trying to get others to dislike him because then he could just say "that was my intention all along!". But after the Lethe and that persona got wiped he's back to his vulnerable state, if not more so because he's insecure about who he even is, and all evidence seems to point to being a terrible person. Having all the Devil memorabilia around must be confusing, because he clearly doesn't remember why he has it or that he used to be so attached to it. Maybe if he realises/remembers that the Devil is his father he'll figure out he must have gotten it all to feel closer to him, all the while repressing his desires for the sparkly good things because of the disapproval he knew it'd earn.

Dammit I just have so many feels for this scenario. While I'm glad Tat has realised how problematic his stuff used to be and now gone on a more feminist path, I just really want to know what happens with Lil'E/Lily!
sunember123

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
so maybe that's why li'l e seems to have no memory that the devil is his father - god brainwashed him and sent him to torment his dad.

So that's why we never saw any other Lethe amnesiacs. The effect was one-use, tailor-made and for Lily only, as God changing his ways.
Dogen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both Slick and Pebbles have been in it...
tricksterson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think Seymour and Slick got small, short-term doses. Not sure though.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...Tat has realised how problematic his stuff used to be..."

I can't read the word "problematic" without thinking of Mordin Solus.

"Problematic."

Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
While I'm glad Tat has realised how problematic his stuff used to be...

I could argue with this... But yeah I have already done it in the past and you have read past topics, so I'll just say that this statement is arguable.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leohan wrote:
Ennis wrote:
While I'm glad Tat has realised how problematic his stuff used to be...

I could argue with this... But yeah I have already done it in the past and you have read past topics, so I'll just say that this statement is arguable.

What I'm not sure about is why Lil'E currently believes that no one loves him, despite how he's always hanging out with Lily - because although Ennis's points stand, it bothers me that he desires MORE friends than he has, and somewhat doesn't value as much what he has now. Otherwise, he wouldn't feel so lonely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: