Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-15: Socially Constructed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think it's relevant that BOTH books are fighting? Could that imply that the feminist book can be, like the devil book, savage/overassertive or... I don't know what word I'm looking for here. Just some statement on feminism and aggression.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard arguments that racism is biological. Just because something has a base in biology doesn't mean it's correct or should be accepted. I could argue that murder is "natural" because that would be how disagreements are sometimes resolved in the animal kingdom. But you don't see murderers being excused with "but biology!" arguments. You do, however, see that with rape, the claim that men "can't control themselves".

I hate arguments from nature on so many levels. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's better, just because something is "unnatural" doesn't mean it's fake or lesser than. Toilets are unnatural, cake is unnatural. Yet you don't see people arguing that we should be shitting in holes because it's more "natural", or that cake should be banned because there's no way it could have existed back in the hunter-gatherer days.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People were complaining before that Xanthe should hang with Crim, because Crim would clearly be a good ally and change her ideas about male allies.

Something I don't get - that Crim is being shown as evil? I see someone just learning about something talking to someone who knws a lot about it.

Something I ike - the book behavior being a metaphr for Crim's thoughts (or learning, whichever.). That's just nifty.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does any rational person truly believe that gender differences are completely socially constructed?
Leohan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
Does any rational person truly believe that gender differences are completely socially constructed?

...You want to start a flamewar. There's no way you could have posted this without such intention.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not talk about the book fighting club.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COME ALONG MR. MACOMBER TODAY WE ARE HUNTING LIONS

but Istancow lions are a threatened species u can't-

BIOLOGY BITCH
Catel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS IS NOT HOW SCIENCE VS IDEOLOGY WORKS

...I guess.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
COME ALONG MR. MACOMBER TODAY WE ARE HUNTING LIONS

but Istancow lions are a threatened species u can't-

BIOLOGY BITCH

You can indeed hunt lions... you just need to know how to grease some palms, on top of paying a lot of money for guides/equipment.

Although, international regulations are making it more difficult, and if caught, I'd suspect you'd be in for either a massive fine, or some jail time in a not-so-pleasant country in Africa.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:

There is a difference between gender constructs (ie. the expectation for women to not work, look after children, cook, be attractive) and sex characteristics (genitalia, smaller stature, difference in muscle tone, etc). One is a creation of society that results in a lower quality of life for women and expects one gender to be subordinate to the other, one is biological.

Figure it out, fuckwit.
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:

There is a difference between gender constructs (ie. the expectation for women to not work, look after children, cook, be attractive) and sex characteristics (genitalia, smaller stature, difference in muscle tone, etc). One is a creation of society that results in a lower quality of life for women and expects one gender to be subordinate to the other, one is biological.

Figure it out, fuckwit.

Also your friendly daily reminder that sex does not equal gender, sex isn't even a binary and there are genders other than man/woman.

Actually let me just post a link with the most dumbed down version of that possible:

http://itspronouncedmetrosexual.com/2012/03/the-genderbread-person-v2-0/

(Except it forgot to separate romantic and sexual attraction. Oh well.)
Vancore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:

--and really, lets be honest here - it's good for crim too! he hasn't been that relevant lately nor has he appeared all that frequently in a while and when he does get the chance to appear here and there - he doesn't really get to do much anymore and this serves as a functional way to get him involved again, as well as get him up to speed in being the standard Best Dude In The Entire Comic. plus, i mean, i thought you guys wanted more dudes being portrayed positively in regards to the whole issue? what, you don't want the comic to acknowledge that Genuinely Good Dudes That Are All Up For Feminism Actually Exist anymore?

Crim really doesn't take initiative all that often, but when he does he seems to knock it out of the park. Not really sure if this event will make him more involved or not but if he does get involved... she may have an answer to her questions about male allies.
Vancore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

Something I don't get - that Crim is being shown as evil? I see someone just learning about something talking to someone who knws a lot about it.

I'd say the second one, Crim has lived in his own world, and now that he's finished the book his previous belief on how everything happened is fighting his new knowledge on how things came about. I very much doubt this will effect how he treats people of different genders but it does give him a better understanding of the situation.

That said I still think Crim is a flawed character for um reasons, but I don't write Crim, I'm not Tat, let the dice fall where they may and see where the situation takes this.
Yinello

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good golly the flame bait here... You guys are trying too hard.

Demon book fighting ring!
Sojobo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: please, no one be convinced, it is a joke Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Yet you don't see people arguing that [...] cake should be banned because there's no way it could have existed back in the hunter-gatherer days.

Cake should be banned. Cake should be banned because there's no way it could have existed back in the hunter-gatherer days.

Evolution is driven by the selective force of consumption. We are alive today because our ancestors were very successful at processing meats, fruits, vegetables and roots into near-copies of themselves.

The eating of grains is a recent development, an aberration. The scant few hundred generations since humans adopted grains have not given us time to properly adapt to them. To choose to eat grains is to embrace poor health. The eating of dairy is an even more recent development. To choose to eat dairy is to embrace poor health. To choose to eat refined sugars (I shouldn't have to explain this one) is to embrace poor health.

Cakes are made from flour (unnatural), butter (unnatural) & refined sugar (unnatural). See: coeliac disease, lactose-intolerance & diabetes. Cakes are a cocktail of poisons. They should be treated exactly as any other dangerous drug. For the good of society, we must tolerate their presence no longer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: