Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-15: Socially Constructed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Yet you don't see people arguing that [...] cake should be banned because there's no way it could have existed back in the hunter-gatherer days.

Cake should be banned. Cake should be banned because there's no way it could have existed back in the hunter-gatherer days.

Evolution is driven by the selective force of consumption. We are alive today because our ancestors were very successful at processing meats, fruits, vegetables and roots into near-copies of themselves.

The eating of grains is a recent development, an aberration. The scant few hundred generations since humans adopted grains have not given us time to properly adapt to them. To choose to eat grains is to embrace poor health. The eating of dairy is an even more recent development. To choose to eat dairy is to embrace poor health. To choose to eat refined sugars (I shouldn't have to explain this one) is to embrace poor health.

Cakes are made from flour (unnatural), butter (unnatural) & refined sugar (unnatural). See: coeliac disease, lactose-intolerance & diabetes. Cakes are a cocktail of poisons. They should be treated exactly as any other dangerous drug. For the good of society, we must tolerate their presence no longer!

Hehe, I would make light of what Sojobo just said...but...nope. Can't. It's actually all pretty much 100% true. Obviously some of them are less harmful than others, and some are worse when combined. Some are just plain bad for us in every way (like refined sugar).

Even though I myself can't say I've given these things up, (cut down at least) they're completely unnatural to our bodies. What's more, since we're now in an age of genetically modified EVERYTHING, we have so many other new things our bodies don't know how to process.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is natural. Natural is this which is created by nature and not by something outside of it. Now, since products of nature are part of nature too, it becomes impossible to define unnatural, unless one can pinpoint a "creating force" that operates outside of nature.....which I doubt one can.

Therefore any arguments that try to "de-demonise" something on the basis that it's natural are ridiculous, since everything is natural. Including the urge to combat "natural conditions".

Whether or not something is natural makes no difference whatsoever when trying to decide if you want something in your prefered world, the only thing that matters is if you like it and its consequences.
Alpha Aim

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...*sigh*
Here's to Sunday...
And hope it's a nice strip to end on.
Hopefully a happy smiling strip...
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Istancow wrote:
COME ALONG MR. MACOMBER TODAY WE ARE HUNTING LIONS

but Istancow lions are a threatened species u can't-

BIOLOGY BITCH

Istancow lions? Are those a supspecies of lion? Do they have silly moustaches?
Ennis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha Aim wrote:
...*sigh*
Here's to Sunday...
And hope it's a nice strip to end on.
Hopefully a happy smiling strip...

LilyLilyLilyLilyLilyLilyLilyLilyLilyLilyLilyLily

I don't even care if it's happy or not so long as it has Lily in it. I am all up for another tragic backstory, or tragic father encounter, or tragic friend-making fail.

Seriously everything I write/draw has a tragic character in it, I get off on that shit.

I have over 13000 words of tragic backstory in a script for a comic I'm writing right now. Full of emotional abuse, bullying and social awkwardness. I literally can never get enough tragedy.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francis Macomber wrote:
Istancow lions

I believe Mr. Macomber originally intended to place a comma between these two words.

However... I am intrigued by this species of Istancow lion. Aristocratic moustachioed lions wearing twill 3-piece suits, drinking tea, and pretending to be members of the House of Peers?

These must be interesting lions indeed.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: please, no one be convinced, it is a joke Reply with quote

Sojobo wrote:
Ennis wrote:
Yet you don't see people arguing that [...] cake should be banned because there's no way it could have existed back in the hunter-gatherer days.

Cake should be banned. Cake should be banned because there's no way it could have existed back in the hunter-gatherer days.

Evolution is driven by the selective force of consumption. We are alive today because our ancestors were very successful at processing meats, fruits, vegetables and roots into near-copies of themselves.

The eating of grains is a recent development, an aberration. The scant few hundred generations since humans adopted grains have not given us time to properly adapt to them. To choose to eat grains is to embrace poor health. The eating of dairy is an even more recent development. To choose to eat dairy is to embrace poor health. To choose to eat refined sugars (I shouldn't have to explain this one) is to embrace poor health.

Cakes are made from flour (unnatural), butter (unnatural) & refined sugar (unnatural). See: coeliac disease, lactose-intolerance & diabetes. Cakes are a cocktail of poisons. They should be treated exactly as any other dangerous drug. For the good of society, we must tolerate their presence no longer!

And so began the DEA's "War on Cake"
ilikerunning

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Maswartz wrote:
Oh please don't drag him into the sisterhood storyline mess...

. he's sweet and generous, and very brave. he's an embodiment of a lot of the best traits in a person! ... give her the chance to have more positive interactions with the main cast will further cement her as a character ... plus, i mean, i thought you guys wanted more dudes being portrayed positively in regards to the whole issue? what, you don't want the comic to acknowledge that Genuinely Good Dudes That Are All Up For Feminism Actually Exist anymore?

i totally agree with this, and it reminds me about what xanthe said about male allies not existing. maybe she will discover one in crim!

plus i love the tsundere book drawing

i agree that its good that were seeing this slow buildup of interactions with the "people cast", who are somewhere in between the devil's and the sisterhood's POV. it seems thatcearlier strips seemed to be more about theory of feminism, and later ones have become about practice.
ilikerunning

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:

Seriously everything I write/draw has a tragic character in it, I get off on that shit.

i like to draw tragic characters too. i feel like their interactions with the world can make for good metaphors Smile

as well as the emotional torque
ilikerunning

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poor lily though Sad

i hope things will eventually turn around for him. maybe i have mixed feelings for him in particular.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want him, Tangerine and Zombie to bond. I'm just worried that Tangy will see Zombie as a threat and behead him. On the other hand trying to predict anything Pebbles might do is a suckers game.
diagram12345

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:
Does any rational person truly believe that gender differences are completely socially constructed?

There is a difference between gender constructs (ie. the expectation for women to not work, look after children, cook, be attractive) and sex characteristics (genitalia, smaller stature, difference in muscle tone, etc). One is a creation of society that results in a lower quality of life for women and expects one gender to be subordinate to the other, one is biological.

Figure it out, fuckwit.

Well, not just physical differences, but the fact that in just about every known culture women on average are more inclined to love children, cry more easily to emotional situations, be less aggressive and more cooperative, be more sexually submissive, etc., etc.

As a fairly aggressive and *very* ambitious career woman, I don't subscribe to many stereotypes regarding gender differences and how women should act nor do I think that anyone should be pushed to act according to gender stereotypes. But it's fascinating to me that so many otherwise logical individuals seem inclined to ignore the inherent differences between the average man and average woman that influence their external behavior and actions.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:
Does any rational person truly believe that gender differences are completely socially constructed?

There is a difference between gender constructs (ie. the expectation for women to not work, look after children, cook, be attractive) and sex characteristics (genitalia, smaller stature, difference in muscle tone, etc). One is a creation of society that results in a lower quality of life for women and expects one gender to be subordinate to the other, one is biological.

Figure it out, fuckwit.

Well, not just physical differences, but the fact that in just about every known culture women on average are more inclined to love children, cry more easily to emotional situations, be less aggressive and more cooperative, be more sexually submissive, etc., etc.

As a fairly aggressive and *very* ambitious career woman, I don't subscribe to many stereotypes regarding gender differences and how women should act nor do I think that anyone should be pushed to act according to gender stereotypes. But it's fascinating to me that so many otherwise logical individuals seem inclined to ignore the inherent differences between the average man and average woman that influence their external behavior and actions.

I've been thinking on how to address this, and im going to try something wildly different and point out where you're making a leap of logic that science is finding to be more and more false.

See where I bolded? Thats where you make the jump to assuming that the inherent biological differences are the influencing factor of their external behavior and actions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diagram12345 wrote:
fritterdonut wrote:
diagram12345 wrote:

Figure it out, fuckwit.

Just because you think stereotypes are true, it doesn't necessarily make them real. Pretty much all people I've known in the past are an exception to your so-called "rule".

Maybe you should get to know some people so you actually know what you are talking about? I used to believe in stupid things like this, then I realized I don't have any friends, and have no idea how to interact with people. Because no, they DON'T necessarily 'work' like you think they do.

So yeah, please come back when you're made some friends, got to know some people, and figured out that biological gender defines your reproductionary organs and muscle tissue, but most of behavior and actions come from peer pressure, and the person's innate reevaluation of social situations. NOT based on whether they're male or female.

Quote:

By the way, I personally like to think of social roles as a series of tasks a person has to fulfill. These tasks need necessary skills to finish. And I think that whoever has the sufficient skills to complete those tasks, are the ones who should do it.

Which also means, if a guy is better at nurturing children, while the girl can fix cars, then by all means - don't try to switch this up because nothing good will come out of that. Skills aren't exactly gender-defined, neither your likes/dislikes, neither your interests, neither your actions, and especially neither your personality. Peer pressure, personal thoughts, inner and outer influences, and also your basic assumptions regarding others, and how you believe you should act and behave. That's pretty much what defines everything. And it has nothing to do with gender - you can think whatever you want, no matter what gender you are. You can do whatever you want, and you can think whatever action is right in a current situation.

NOTHING is gender defined. Apart from sexual compatibility in terms of reproductional capability, anyways.

Last edited by Zhuinden on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh please do tell me about the inherent differences between men and women. I have not had enough people tell me about inherent sex differences which they totes know because their personal experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: