welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Define "feminism" please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
Q. Do all Libertarians want the downtrodden to die in the streets?
A. Fuck No!

Q. Do all Libertarians want to abolish the government, or privatize all services?
A. Fuck No!

There are a lot of shitty libertarians out there, and I should probably find a different label to go by, but whatever. I hate authoritarianism, and I think personal freedoms are something worth fighting for. If the shoe fits, wear it.

I just want to point out that a part of my brain insists on reading "libertarian" as "librarian." So all this talk of Libertarianism has placed some improbable imagery in my mind.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crayven wrote:
Problem is the community doesn't always "provide". And "NO regulations" is what caused 2008 crisis. Have you people learnt NOTHING?
You know what? Fuck it, i got no time for this shit. I spend enough time at work arguing with clueless people about economy in general who think they can redesign society.

My new airsoft gear is here and i am grabbing my son and going out to spend some quality time.

How unsurprising, you're going out to teach your son how to shoot things.

What a quality father you are Crayven. I mean, im sure all those fathers of school shooters thought they were teaching their children how to respect guns and play safe too, but i mean, taking your time away from snivelling about the wimmins wanting a fair shot at running their lives the way they want to teach your kid how to play with guns.

I'm sure he'll grow up to be a fine young man with a father like you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comic is going to have corgi's in it. They're gonna get stuck in the snow! A very small amount of snow.

Old Welsh tradition says people believe their typical pattern comes from wearing the saddles of fairies.

Also, Crayven referred to Simian McTroll, and that follows his mntioning Pony Girl. So he probably wrote that 'delightful' article, then continues o coe here whining.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure my dad's ever even touched a gun

guns are good toys tho, fo' sho

my mother's the one who taught me how to play with guns

although I don't remember ever shooting a gun since that. Learned to use 'em safely, got to the point where I had non-terrible aim, then stopped using 'em. Still own a couple.

I also have a hunter safety licence, though I've never gone hunting.
I don't understand the appeal. It's not very hard to get close enough to animals to shoot them. Is it just an excuse to go walking around in the woods or something? If that's the case, I'd rather just go walking around in the woods without the goal of killing anything and dragging a carcass out afterwards, thanks.

@crayven
What's the purpose of airsoft guns? I can't think of any purpose to them besides plinking cans for entertainment. Eh. There's worse things you could be doing. Monkey's just pissing on you for sport, I think, but I don't mind that, either. You're a good choice of target.
Istancow

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dearie me. I have some catching up to do.

On baked goods: Thank you to those who continued the fight to sweeten the bitterness of this thread.

On Libertarianism: Dammit Forlorn, you started a political discussion! Ah well. Adyon has represented the entirety of my perspective on this topic, so my thanks to Adyon. You are a most excellent person.

On corgis: WAAH ADORABIBLENESS OVERLOAD ESPECIALLY THE ONE WITH THE MOUSTACHE, MONOCLE, AND TOP HAT

In response to crayven: You mess with ponies, you mess with me. And you don't want to mess with me. I have a hulk.

On crayven's objective:

I think crayven is one of those rare fellows legitimately enjoys having a lot of people pissed off at him. I think he sees himself as taking arms against a sea of troubles and attempting to, by opposing, end them. I mean, fighting an impossible fight does have a sort of Don Quixote romance to it.

I also think that crayven is wrong and is tilting at windmills rather than giants, but that's another story.

On guns: I like guns. They make cool clicking sounds and banging sounds and they punch holes in things that are far away.

On the appeal of hunting: Venison is tasty. Bones can be carved into stuff. Internal organs and hides are useful.

On airsoft guns: They're fun for people who want to participate in an activity similar to military combat but don't actually want to kill each other. They also make good movie props.

Last edited by Istancow on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone would like to familiarize themselves with the Libertarian platform here is the link http://www.lp.org/platform.

This is there take on welfare reform http://www.lp.org/issues/poverty-and-welfare. While I don't agree with the complete abolishment of the welfare system, I've personally seen the abuses of the system and would like to see some serious reform that limits the time people can collect from the system in favor of job training, education and placement programs. I also believe charity is preferable to government assistance, and family should again play more of a role in helping their elderly instead of exiling them to nursing homes where they're abused, neglected and often a death sentence due to the incompetence of the staff (personal experience). I see a need for safety nets, but they should be temporary.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. So THAT's what it looks like when someone goes completely unhinged,

CRAYVEN uses SELFDESTRUCT!

It's not very effective...
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On the appeal of hunting: Venison is tasty. Bones can be carved into stuff. Internal organs and hides are useful.

I ate a lot of elk meat as a kid, and there's a few skulls sitting around, here, and hunting with the goal of getting meat and stuff doesn't make sense to me, either. And I certainly wouldn't consider hunting to be a sport.

Quote:

On airsoft guns: They're fun for people who want to participate in an activity similar to military combat but don't actually want to kill each other. They also make good movie props.

Wouldn't paintball guns and proper movie props, respectively, be better for that?
Forlorn Devil

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of guns. My Aunt and Uncle live up in Maine and most of their meat comes from hunting. Shoot a deer or moose, cut it up into chops and throw them in a big freezer, you'll have meat for awhile and costs nearly nothing. They don't have much money so the savings is great for them. If you live in a city or suburban area, maybe you wouldn't understand the appeal of hunting. But living out in an area where the nearest store is miles away, its a boon. Also Venison is healthier for you.

Last edited by Forlorn Devil on Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Istancow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a sort of an ongoing argument between paintball and airsoft people over which is better. I think both are great.

The second bit is mostly just a matter of it being easier and cheaper to buy airsoft guns than it is to buy movie props.
Istancow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunting also circumvents a lot of the ethical messiness of processed meat.

It seems less cruel to me to shoot a deer than to put a cow through the whole messy system of slaughterhouses.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forlorn Devil wrote:
On the subject of guns. My Aunt and Uncle live up in Maine and most of their meat comes from hunting. Shoot a deer or moose, cut it up into chops and throw them in a big freezer, you'll have meat for awhile and costs nearly nothing. They don't have much money so the savings is great for them. If you live in a city or suburban area, maybe you wouldn't understand the appeal of hunting. But living out in an area where the nearest store is miles away, its a boon. Also Venison is healthier for you.

Like I said, I ate a lot of elk meat as a kid (and actually part of the lack of appeal is probably based in that), and I definitely don't live in the city. There's some deer that sleep in my garden in the winter.

Part of my family does hunting tours for a living. I doubly don't understand the appeal it has for their customers.
Istancow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dunno what the appeal of it as a sport is, really. The people who go out and shoot a truckload of deer for fun are strange folk, indeed.

Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm less concerned about welfare fraud than I am about the people who would legitimately be left out in the cold if welfare were to be cut back.

http://spritzophrenia.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/how-bad-is-welfare-fraud-in-the-usa/

Fraud exists in this area, as it does all others. But the stereotype is blown all out of proportion, is not representative of most people on welfare, and hurting the real people on welfare in order to combat a stereotype is immoral.

Not to mention, quite frequently a cost-ineffective approach, as the approach does not match up with reality and will therefore be terribly innefficient: http://www.rightsidesd.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/drug-test-300x290.png

And then, everyone who's talking about this sort of thing should, at the very minimum, read these:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-4-types-people-welfare-nobody-talks-about/
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-things-politicians-will-never-understand-about-poor-people/

They're short! They're funny! They're a good start at challenging the stereotypes that get real innocent people punished, slapped down, and condemned to the butt-end of society for the sake of punishing an overblown stereotype of morally-deficient greedy poor people.

And I just wanna SLAP people who argue that welfare needs to be stripped for the moral good of the people on it. Right across their privileged assholes. The ones they're talking out of. On their FACES.
Istancow

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want welfare gone, you must first reach a point where it is not necessary for anyone.

That point has not been reached.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: