welcome to the fest
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

16 June 2013 Baby Blue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Lich Mong



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 475

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all correct that the skin color in this comic isn't a conclusive indicator; however, I think it's safe to say that the evidence for the non-human origin of Fuschia is mounting.

We'll just all have to wait and see, since I agree that we'll be getting more of Fuschia's backstory soon.
_________________
A MtG Webcomic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 1926
Location: im probably asleep right now

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were no indicators that D-man went to divinity school at all. He'd never been depicted anywhere near the school. She definitely did go to school with Jesus, though. I wouldn't say that he's necessarily celestial, son of god he may be.

We have not been shown anything to really imply at all that Fuchsia is of similar origin as Blue - in fact we know so little of Fuchsia's origins that its simply ridiculous to say that there's evidence of her being really anything but human. Literally all we know so far is that she worked at the club with Blue, and clearly isn't too happy with the situation.

Keep in mind that fuchsia is also the name of a plant, so her name - in universe - might not have been chosen explicitly due to color.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't? Wow, that changes things a bit. Comes across kind of like a creeper selling drugs on the playground.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
He didn't? Wow, that changes things a bit. Comes across kind of like a creeper selling drugs on the playground.


Well, he IS the Devil Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lich Mong



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 475

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
I wouldn't say that he's necessarily celestial, son of god he may be.
Well, if we're talking in the context of Christianity he IS God.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity
However, even just in the context of his story without all of the doctrine, he's a demi-god.

I mean, you have a better memory for this comic than I do, Miss. Magenta. Show me someone at the school that we know is 100% human and I'll relent. Otherwise, I'll just assume you and Rune just like arguing with me over my opinons, which--I assure you--aren't fanatically held and change when I'm presented with new information. So, persent me with something I've forgotten about the school comics.
Miss Magenta wrote:

Keep in mind that fuchsia is also the name of a plant, so her name - in universe - might not have been chosen explicitly due to color.
A plant also named for its color.


However, guess what? I really don't care enough to fight you guys tooth and nail over this. I'm happy to just wait and see. I've stated my opinion based on the information I have and I will await more information to either confirm or deny that opinion. I will happily read any citations to other comics you might have to show why I'm wrong in what I've said; otherwise I'm still worn down from the last conversation and don't feel like rehatching something like it ATM. So, I'll just shut up instead.
_________________
A MtG Webcomic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on which branch of Christianity you're talking about. There is, in fact, some rather heated internal disagreement on the matter of whether Christ is God or not, if you're just talking about Christianity in general.

Anyway, for all that you say you're not holding your opinions too dear, why take disagreement from me and Miss M as a tooth-and-nail thing? No malice in it, but yeah, I kinda do like arguing, and discussing, and all that stuff, and I happen not to share your point of view on this one.

It's not proved either way whether Fyoosh and Blue started as human or something else. I lean towards the speculation that they're human. You speculate that they're not. We both have our reasons for our leanings.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Miss Magenta



Joined: 09 Jun 2011
Posts: 1926
Location: im probably asleep right now

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't know for certain what is the deal with any of the other children at divinity school. The only characters in those strips that were identifiable were Blue and Jesus - Jesus being the son of god, and no real clarification on what Blue is supposed to be. Is she a human, or demigoddess? Full on goddess, or angel-to-be? Human training to become a deity of some sort? There's nothing to really indicate anything in regards to her status prior to being a devil person. All we know is that divinity of some kind is involved - but she couldn't do anything that was required of her at the time - and Jesus attended the school as well. Anything else is not really specified.

Other children at the school are just random faces - with no clarification as to who or what they are either. And it's not like it matters, either - they're not any characters that we should care about. They're just... there, for the sake of the setting. Although there were three girls that had appeared that do have similar colors to the other devil girls, but with no real similarities to them besides that. Not sure what that counts for, though.

I'm not really trying to argue with you, though. I was just stating that your assumptions (in regards to stating that there is evidence for something that there is no evidence for) don't really have any founding of which to speak. I don't mind the theories, but you came across as presenting your ideas as established fact? If that is not the case, then I truly apologize for my misconception.

EDIT;
Lich Mong wrote:
A plant also named for its color.


the plant was named after a man - if i remember right, it was the man who discovered the plant? - and the color was named after the plant

sorry :(
_________________


Last edited by Miss Magenta on Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Istancow



Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 1103
Location: Hel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If humans are allowed into Divinity School, then Seymour in particular might have whole new worlds of backstory that could be explored.
_________________
Greetings, fool mortals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rune



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 1053

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
We don't know for certain what is the deal with any of the other children at divinity school. The only characters in those strips that were identifiable were Blue and Jesus - Jesus being the son of god, and no real clarification on what Blue is supposed to be. Is she a human, or demigoddess? Full on goddess, or angel-to-be? Human training to become a deity of some sort? There's nothing to really indicate anything in regards to her status prior to being a devil person. All we know is that divinity of some kind is involved - but she couldn't do anything that was required of her at the time - and Jesus attended the school as well. Anything else is not really specified.

Other children at the school are just random faces - with no clarification as to who or what they are either. And it's not like it matters, either - they're not any characters that we should care about. They're just... there, for the sake of the setting. Although there were three girls that had appeared that do have similar colors to the other devil girls, but with no real similarities to them besides that. Not sure what that counts for, though.

I'm not really trying to argue with you, though. I was just stating that your assumptions (in regards to stating that there is evidence for something that there is no evidence for) don't really have any founding of which to speak. I don't mind the theories, but you came across as presenting your ideas as established fact? If that is not the case, then I truly apologize for my misconception.


We also don't have a hugely reliable timescale for her time of attendance, either. I mean, in the Sinfest 'verse, Jesus still regularly walks around with a cross on His back. Who's to say when or where that schooling happened in His history? We have a younger devil approaching a younger blue, but then her apparent next step out of school is work in a "gentleman's club." Anachronism? Separate devil-world history? Did she have longevity through the succubus transformation as part of the soul-selling deal, or was it something that she had ahead of time and there's a MUCH longer period between her dropping out and finding work at the strip joint?

Many, many unanswered questions and ambiguous clues there.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lich Mong



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 475

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
I don't mind the theories, but you came across as presenting your ideas as established fact?
I did? :
Lich Mong wrote:
I think its safe to say...she might ...I'm guessing...which--I would guess--...I think Blue ...Blue is likely ... (and I think ...).
Lich Mong wrote:
Well, I guess... were probably ...
Lich Mong wrote:

(The argument could be made...but I think the evidence is mounting ... Maybe most ...)
Lich Mong wrote:
... I think it's safe to say ...

We'll just all have to wait and see...


Ok, in that case how many more "I thinks" and "maybes" should I have put in my posts to not come across like that?
_________________
A MtG Webcomic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stripeypants



Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 3429
Location: Land of the Grumpuses

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
He didn't? Wow, that changes things a bit. Comes across kind of like a creeper selling drugs on the playground.


Well, he IS the Devil Laughing


Yeah, but every version has nitty gritty details that make them special, and I was thinking entirely differently of him back then - that maybe he started out more idealistic and innocent, just really pissed off and misguided. This is also fun. I'll have to do some thinking, and I really hope we see more of the early days.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mouse



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 17278
Location: under the bed

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:

Miss Magenta wrote:

Keep in mind that fuchsia is also the name of a plant, so her name - in universe - might not have been chosen explicitly due to color.
A plant also named for its color.

actually, no:
Quote:
The first, Fuchsia triphylla, was discovered on the Caribbean island of Hispaniola (present day Dominican Republic and Haiti) in about 1696-1697 by the French Minim monk and botanist, Charles Plumier during his third expedition to the Greater Antilles. He named the new genus after the renowned German botanist Leonhart Fuchs (15011566).


just adding to the general knowledge level here!
_________________
aka: neverscared!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lich Mong



Joined: 31 May 2012
Posts: 475

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=fuchsia

fuchsia (n.)
red color, 1923, from the ornamental shrub, which was named 1753 from the Latinized name of German botanist Leonhard Fuchs (1501-1566). Not related to Latin fucus "seaweed, sea wrack, tangle," which also gave its name to a red color prepared from it. Latin fucus is from or related to Greek phykos "seaweed," also "red paint, rouge."
_________________
A MtG Webcomic
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Leohan



Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 1019

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...It's not like the word Fuchsia didn't just become like 170% more fascinating, but are you seriously arguing the possibility of the name not being such because of the colour?

I mean, look at the title of the thread! Isn't that question like asking if the vertical text is maybe not the patriarchy?
_________________
Sinfest Juggalo Worshipper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ronald



Joined: 17 Sep 2007
Posts: 3244

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geareye wrote:
Given how it will be , actually having to work for Big-D and torturing souls, this poster kinda reminded me of the "Arbeit macht frei" sign in concentration camps.


Since Blue loved torturing souls, I'm not sure I get the perspective here.

Seriously, Blue used to be one of the happiest character in the strip. Even The Devil didn't seem to love his life as much as Blue loved hers. I really miss that.

===

Istancow wrote:
If humans are allowed into Divinity School, then Seymour in particular might have whole new worlds of backstory that could be explored.


I'm not sure what "human" and "Seymour" have to do with each other. Seymour's pretty much the least human-looking of the main characters (even Squig at least has a nose). Even when he walks into The Reality Zone, he doesn't turn human.

Besides, Seymour has little room for a backstory since apparently he was literally created almost exactly as he is now.


http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=3720

How long before the strip did God create Seymour? No one knows.

Admittedly, Seymour's creation as depicted there isn't "confirmed" as in-continuity, but then, neither is the backstory for Blue and Fuchsia seen in this series of strips.

Anyway, the last thing we need around here is more flashbacks. IMHO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group