welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is transgender?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katsuni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
I'm a fan of Steins;Gate, but I don't think they handled that very well. It was mostly played for gags, if I recall.

Yep... sadly it's part of the whole problem with misinformation in the media.

You virtually never see a FtM at all, and the MtF's are played pretty much universally between either someone to be pitied, "lulz guy in a dress", or shock value.

It's rather sad there's so little in the way of transgendered representation at all. Then again, it's kinda to be expected; most people know nothing at all about trans people, trans people are a very small minority (even gays make up about 1 in 15 people, which is a ton in comparison), and the vast majority of people find it so alien a concept that they have no realistic way to relate to a trans character.

As such, it's pretty difficult to pull off writing one in such a manner that it actually works for "normal people" to understand the problems of such. With that in mind, it's kind of to be expected, even if it's still a little disappointing.
cleocatra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsuni wrote:
Heretical Rants wrote:
I'm a fan of Steins;Gate, but I don't think they handled that very well. It was mostly played for gags, if I recall.

Yep... sadly it's part of the whole problem with misinformation in the media.

You virtually never see a FtM at all, and the MtF's are played pretty much universally between either someone to be pitied, "lulz guy in a dress", or shock value.

It's rather sad there's so little in the way of transgendered representation at all. Then again, it's kinda to be expected; most people know nothing at all about trans people, trans people are a very small minority (even gays make up about 1 in 15 people, which is a ton in comparison), and the vast majority of people find it so alien a concept that they have no realistic way to relate to a trans character.

As such, it's pretty difficult to pull off writing one in such a manner that it actually works for "normal people" to understand the problems of such. With that in mind, it's kind of to be expected, even if it's still a little disappointing.

Apparently there's a trans lady in Elementary, and she's actually played by a trans lady! I need to watch more of that show...
Samsally

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HIGHLY recommend checking out more of Elementary. It makes me happy for so many reasons and the Season 1 finale was AWESOME.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k

took another look at Steins;Gate

I remembered wrong

but now I am angry at society
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
k
took another look at Steins;Gate
I remembered wrong
but now I am angry at society

What are your thoughts?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

['MINOR' SPOILERS YEAH I GUESS IT'S WORTH MARKING SPOILERS]

Well, before I even looked at it, your referring to a 'transition' annoyed me due to the nature of the situation.

* in timelines where that D-mail was sent, she's assigned female at birth
* in the other timelines, she's transgender
* in both, she is female

The way you said it made me think you were putting the wrong emphasis on genitals. You probably were.

From a more scientific standpoint, something rather strange is going on with her hormones in the womb for her sex to be dependant on a pager message. This would be more interesting if it had actually happened irl, but it isn't totally implausible because it is true that things happen like, for example, someone with XY chromosomes getting assigned female at birth because for whatever reason testosterone didn't have much influence on the fetus.

The "angry at society" came from her feeling like she wasn't allowed to like men.

aaaand whoever wrote the following bit of the TVTropes article explained the rest pretty well:

"Cerebus Callback: There's an early running gag about how Ruka is incredibly feminine despite being a guy. About two third of the way through the story, it's not funny anymore when not only was Ruka transgender and finally given a chance to be a girl, but then has to return to normal. A clearly depressed Okabe repeats the lines in his head."

also, this arc made me like Daru even better

[/SPOILERS]

Last edited by Heretical Rants on Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Finnegan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had noticed this thread sooner and had had the chance to participate. I started a thread on sexuality in the general discussion section just for this purpose, well for my purposes, because while you might find all this confusing from an outsider's perspective I find it even more so because I'm still trying to figure out how to apply these "labels" to me own sexuality. I know I'm a man and I was born a man, but I don't feel like I have much of what would be considered "maleness". I don't feel that I'm actually a woman though, so I go with genderqueer to express (to myself, my labels are only really for me to give me a sense of identity) that I associate with both and neither gender in way I was raised to believe that gender to express one's sex. I've recently, thanks to this forum, come to recognize that there is a grayness in asexuality that finally allowed me to explain my history of relative ambivalence toward sex. I feel emotional attraction and physical attraction to men, women, etc. and will for no sexual, romantic relationships with them but I usually don't feel a sexual attraction (though making out is still lots of fun). I do have sexual relationships with women (but not men but that's just because they have penises and I don't like penises, my own included, but that is a different conversation) but usually only after being in a romantic relationship, that's just what it takes for me to feel that sexual desire. Rather recently I have been pushing my boundaries and trying to expand and explore my sexuality and experimenting with sex with out emotional and sexual desire but so far I'm just finding it awkward. This new experimentation I only mention is regards to topic of disclosure that was brought up earlier. I'm doing it to help be solidify my recognition how just how fluid I'm finding sexuality to be. disclosure wouldn't be an issue if we allowed ourselves to be attracted to the person and not to their sex or gender. but I don't really want to tell anyone else how to feel about this any more than I would want them to tell me how I have to feel.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katsuni wrote:
even gays make up about 1 in 15 people, which is a ton in comparison

I'm interested as to where you got that statistic from, because a 1988 study in Canada showed around 1% of the population was homosexual (and a further 1% was bi). A less scientific Gallup Poll in 2012 found that 3.4% of adults in the US identify as LGBT (combined). By that statistic, only about 1 in 30 people would be Homosexual, Bisexual, or Transsexual.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out how to apply these "labels" to me own sexuality. I know I'm a man and I was born a man, but I don't feel like I have much of what would be considered "maleness". I don't feel that I'm actually a woman though, so I go with genderqueer to express (to myself, my labels are only really for me to give me a sense of identity) that I associate with both and neither gender in way

In my case, my 'gender identity' is male, because I was born male, and I wouldn't want to change that - I'm okay with my body and how it is. As for being masculine, hahahah HAHAHAHAHAAHHA no. Stereotypes are unable to define me as a person, thus I'll just go with "I am who I am". I don't really need labels, people will get to know me anyways if they want to.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Me Reply with quote

"My gender is not really important to me sorry if that is unsatisfying to you."

seriously

I'm fine with whatever

call me he or she or they or xi
I don't give a shit
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will call you chi. Then you'll be a magical universal force!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat!
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will it be too confusing if I start calling you we?
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be a bit weird unless the thing you were saying also applied to you and wasn't a weird thing to be lumping yourself in on, yeah
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Anime, did anyone watch Phi Brain? First season was good, second season was meh mostly.

But Ana, he's always awesome.

You only know Ana is 'a guy' because they tell you *SPOILER*(plus there's the cross dressing contest thing)*SPOLIER* but otherwise Ana is probably one of, if not the most gender neutral characters I've seen in any medium. Ana isn't really "feminine" per se, Ana's more of a hippy-dippy arsty-fartsy carefree sort of soul, who is really just about happiness and love and all that jazz.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: