welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 705, 706, 707 ... 814, 815, 816  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTrees

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22946736

Up to 200,000 protesting in Brazil. Initial cause was bus fares increasing about $0.10 USD, but the violent police response and other complaints, including the amount of money being spent for the World Cup and Olympics (instead of anything the populace needs) has fueled the fires.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you mean bread and circuses isn't working for some reason?

That may have been a bit cynical. I know it's generally controversial over whether hosting the Olympics is a net gain for most cities. How about the World Cup?
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/17/2971229/more-moral-monday-protesters-arrested.html

Basically, this started with a number of liberal pastors protesting (peacefully) in front of the NC general assembly, protesting the agenda that the republican senate and governor have been pushing through (Lowering taxes on corporations, raising it on lower class people, doing @#%@ by voice votes than saying "YUP IT PASSED" when an early non-voice vote failed, and even in the voice-vote it's clear there are more Nays than Aye's, etc.), mostly with the pastors sitting in in civil disobedience (and allowing themselves to be arrested). It's grown far beyond that, though.

I admit I'm posting this 'cause one of the pastors arrested is one of the pastors at the church I grew up with (And a church of which I'm still pretty proud of, even if my views have wandered). I'm not surprised: She was always a *fierce* believer in social justice.
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most interesting part is the GOP's reaction. Instantly they tried to brand this as an "outsider" movement and downplay it as a bunch of hippies, the GOP's ancient nemesis.
The reality is that these legislators are voting on initiatives that originate out of state and aren't supported by the broad and representative sampling of residents that makes up the protestors.
Either the lawmakers don't care to know about that, or they just don't care.
Felgraf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WheelsOfConfusion wrote:
The most interesting part is the GOP's reaction. Instantly they tried to brand this as an "outsider" movement and downplay it as a bunch of hippies, the GOP's ancient nemesis.
The reality is that these legislators are voting on initiatives that originate out of state and aren't supported by the broad and representative sampling of residents that makes up the protestors.
Either the lawmakers don't care to know about that, or they just don't care.

Almost CERTAINLY the later. It really makes me sad seeing what's going on in my home state. I'm glad there are people standing up and fighting against it.

I sort of have to worry about what's going on in my CURRENT state. Gods, I hope Cucinelli doesn't get the governorship...
"No, but evil is still being --Is having reason-- Being reasonable! Mousie understands? Is always being reason. Is punishing world for not being... Like in head. Is always reason. World should be different, is reason."
-Ed, from Digger
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It’s the documentary that audiences and film critics are eating up.
In a covert six-month mission to expose the inside world of school lunches, 11-year-old Zachary Maxwell made “Yuck: A 4th Grader’s Documentary About School Lunch” when he was a fourth-grader at a New York City public school.

Armed with hidden cameras, the precocious filmmaker went undercover to document dozens of lunches he was served at school.

During Zachary’s investigation, he compared descriptions of lunch items on the school-provided menu with secretly recorded video of what he was actually being served.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2013/06/11-year-old-zachary-maxwells-hidden-camera-documentary-exposes-school-lunch/

Trailer for the kid's film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQo1D3v8Y98

http://yuckmovie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might sound messed up, but I really liked the chicken patties my school used to serve.

Not saying they were healthy, but damn if they weren't good.
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. And really, those patties got everything a growing boy needs: fat group, gristle group, hair group, minced unspeakable horror group...
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problems eating mechanically separated chicken patties. In fact, with some fast food places it's preferable to their premium alternative which is usually dried out from being under a heat lamp too long.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
Agreed. And really, those patties got everything a growing boy needs: fat group, gristle group, hair group, minced unspeakable horror group...

I got yer four basic food groups! Beans, bacon, whiskey, and lard!
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My high school had really good food. So good that when the bell rang, people would literally run for the cafeteria so they could get in line before it was all gone.

It probably helps that the cafeteria was run by the Foods and Home Ec students.

They made a mean teriyaki salmon burger.
Darqcyde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
My high school had really good food. So good that when the bell rang, people would literally run for the cafeteria so they could get in line before it was all gone.

It probably helps that the cafeteria was run by the Foods and Home Ec students.

They made a mean teriyaki salmon burger.

We weren't quite that fancy, but we did win an inter-high school competition in the state for our beef stew.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

obscenely talented kanye lyrics

"A monster about to come alive again / Soon as I pull up and park the Benz / We get this bitch shaking like Parkinson's."

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/19/kanye-west-yeezus-lyrics-parkinsons-organization/#ixzz2Whml3AzS

voice of a generation
Kanye West

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, thank you. I am awesome.

Don't forget to buy my singles and CDs! Available at Best Buy, Amazon, and iTunes.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lunch ladies at my schools tried very hard, but hey couldn't do much with their budget. I'll never forget one of them really pushing me to go on to college because, "You don't want to end up like me." It was so weird to learn they got paid do little, since everyone thought they were awesome and loved them.

Navy food was fantastic. Burgers to order with freshly sauteed onions and your choice of four kinds of cheese. And onion soup and omg so many good things! Also bad things like Pepper Pot soup (No one could ever explain exactly what it was supposed to be, and it tasted god awful) and bagel dogs (Which you'd think could be made to taste good, but not in the navy.) I miss that so much; I wish cafeterias out in the real world were a more common thing, since they're efficient and can be tasty if run properly. The nearby university's cafeteria is open to non-college students, but it takes me over an hour to get there and over an hour to get back, so I never go...and buffets are too expensive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 705, 706, 707 ... 814, 815, 816  Next
Page 706 of 816

Jump to: