welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-20 WHY CAN'T I HOLD ALL THESE...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't handle romance in Western movies, it's pretty much always terrible. For some reason Korean dramas seem to do it far more interestingly, even though they're probably even more sexist. Probably just because everything is so damn dramatic, with slo-mo and sparkles and closeups all the time.

Does anyone else feel like Tat is still going through very basic beginner's concepts of feminism? It just sort of reminds me of articles I read when I was first getting into things. I look forward to perhaps seeing some more advanced concepts explored later on. I doubt it will happen, but I wonder what would happen if an actual trans* person went into the Trans State. I feel like it could be heartbreaking if they were someone with severe dysphoria, because it would suddenly be cured but they would know if they went outside it they'd be back to the way they were before. Would they maybe build a house in the Trans State? I don't know, it just interests me. *coughbiasedcough*
joandark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twenty-Fifth Night wrote:
Maswartz wrote:
So it's ok to generalize about all men but not ok to generalize about women? You do realize equality works both ways right Tat?

Slick and Squig have always been acting like this... if he had, say, Criminey or Seymour in this strip, then your argument might have been justified. But he didn't, and so it's not.

So if Tat had a character that was female, and acted highly stereotypically of a female, and was made fun of for acting in those ways, that would be okay and funny (granted that the rest, Nique, Xanthe, Fusha, and the lot, did not partake in the stereotypical action, and were not made fun of for partaking therein)?
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joandark wrote:

So if Tat had a character that was female, and acted highly stereotypically of a female, and was made fun of for acting in those ways, that would be okay and funny?

Dude have you even read the comic. That was 'Nique for so many years.
joandark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
joandark wrote:

So if Tat had a character that was female, and acted highly stereotypically of a female, and was made fun of for acting in those ways, that would be okay and funny?

True enough. I'm just asking whether that's acceptable. I don't really feel like it is, and I don't feel like this is either, is my point.
Leohan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
joandark wrote:

Disagreed. 'Nique has never been a stereotype for anything. She reinvented herself every third strip. The moment when she started being focused enough that you could utter the word stereotype was at her environmentalist stage.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
That was 'Nique for so many years.

that's a "nope" from me, too
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except the difference is that society is misogynist, not misandrist. Women (and men, and other genders) who choose to partake in stereotypically female things are looked down upon or condescended to, called frivolous, shallow, etc. It is portrayed as a grave inditement on men, practically a punishment, to accompany a woman shopping. I'm not saying that shopping necessarily has to be fun, but it is portrayed as something that men always hate and have unfairly forced upon them by "the missus". Compare sports. Yes, women get to roll their eyes at it, but a wife who tries to get her husband's attention or help is seen as an interfering nagging bitch who should know better. Women who enjoy sports (when not being called fakes or wannabes) are portrayed as "perfect wives", bringing him beer and sort of participating, never really part of the boys but hey, at least she's not a nag right? And you get to fuck her! Whereas men do not feel the need to be a good shopping buddy, they are not called nags if they whinge the whole time about being dragged along. It's a laugh, they're justified in their displeasure. Can you imagine the portrayal of a wife who grudgingly goes along with her husband to a sports game and every five minutes asks "is it over? are we leaving yet? this is so boring, it's just the same thing over and over"? It wouldn't be flattering.

Yes, you can pick what I've just said apart and find exceptions in some media aimed at women. I am speaking in generalisations, trying to illustrate just a microcosm of the issue here. In the past Slick and Squig have been portrayed almost the exact same way, except the attitude behind it was "this is natural, what to expect". Now Tat's poking fun at the idea and how ridiculous it is, that they're so afraid of their masculinity being tainted by the slightest bit of anything considered feminine.
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
Ennis wrote:
That was 'Nique for so many years.

that's a "nope" from me, too

They said "act highly stereotypical for a female" in regards to how apparently now Slick and Squig are acting "highly stereotypical for males". I was referring to the many strips in which she was portrayed that way, like going gaga over shoes and romance and worrying about being married and in relationships. I never said that was her whole character, but in those instances she was acting "stereotypically".

Edit: And she was the "butt of the joke" in the same way that Squig and Slick are in this one. A sympathetic butt, with character other than being a stereotype, but a butt nonetheless.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have this:

Catel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have seen the characters of Squig and Slick more shaded in the past, more human. Why the sudden caricatures.
Ennis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Have this:

Is that for me? That should fill the emptiness in my heart </emo>
pun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my there are such delicate emotions being displayed on this topic tonight. if only tat had been more gentle with the fragile egos of certain members
joandark

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ennis wrote:
Yes, you can pick what I've just said...

I had to try my darndest. Really, I didn't understand what you were getting at, for the most part. Took a re-read or two.

From all I could surmise, you're saying that Tat is making fun of them for being misogynistic, in that they're repulsed by something "girly" and only enjoy things they see as male-approved.

That's something funny I hadn't thought of before: misogyny is so engrained into the fabric of our culture that it's actually a male stereotype to be misogynistic!

I don't know how to feel about this now! It's supporting a sexist stereotype and mindset in saying "Oh, ain't that just like a boy, can't handle the least bit of sentiment" and at the same time saying how unfortunate it is that sentiment, something associated with femininity, is looked down upon due to a sexist mindset.

Is this what it feels like to create a paradox?
Flavius Maximus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just leave this here.

Smile
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catel wrote:
We have seen the characters of Squig and Slick more shaded in the past, more human. Why the sudden caricatures.

There's nothing sudden about it; these guys have been caricatures since the beginning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: