welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 706, 707, 708 ... 805, 806, 807  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepper pot - you may need to be from philadelphia to really appreciate it. it does involve tripe, which seems to be a bit tricky to handle.

it can be pretty tasty, though.

i have mixed experience with navy (or i guess ex-navy) cooks. the cooks at the dining hall at my undergraduate university were mostly ex-navy cooks; the food does not particularly stick in my mind (they did a good job with fried eggs, but never salted the hashbrowns, is mostly what i remember). but when i was a graduate student in oceanography, the research ships had ex-navy cooks and they made really great stuff. there was always a choice of 3-4 entrees, and the main problem was not eating all of them and thus gaining a ton of weight.
Sam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanye West wrote:
Thank you, thank you. I am awesome.

Don't forget to buy my singles and CDs! Available at Best Buy, Amazon, and iTunes.

your face broke, you need a new host
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read about what pepper pot soup is supposed to be, but what they served never resembled anything like that. Looked kind of like an oil slick with paint in it, and tasted like...nothing, with some bitterness involved. I had no real expectations of it before trying it.

They can be really resourceful. The bootcamp cooks weren't that great, but that's because it was all new sailors about to graduate, and they weren't chosen to do it because they wanted to be cooks. Lots of premade/package stuff, like powdered eggs and waffles that tasted like captain crunch without syrup but mostly regular waffles when the synthetic syrup was poured on.

When I was in, the cooks were generally from the Phillipines or from New Orleans - and that food mix was delicious! There wasn't a whole lot of purposely fusion dishes, but the cooking styles just mixed so damn well together. Best tamales I have ever had, as well as burgers and gumbo and crawfish ettouffee. I still don't get why so many people went off to McDonalds instead of the galley, because omg the food.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some people are just really unimaginative when it comes to food. my cousin and her husband came out to san diego a few years ago, and the dining experience that made them happiest was finding a pizza hut (that being their favorite pizza place).
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Skype-Provided-Backdoor-Access-to-the-NSA-Before-Microsoft-Takeover-NYT-362384.shtml

Quote:
The source claims that the NSA wanted “to control the process themselves” and thus skip the process of contacting the parent company and asking for details on select user accounts.

This is how Skype Project Chess was born. “Less than a dozen people inside Skype” have been asked to develop a hidden system that would allow the NSA to access conversations and user details at any time.

Skype officially joined the PRISM program on February 6, 2011, so it’s believed that the backdoor access system was already up and running at that time, more than half a year before the Microsoft acquisition was completed.

It read 'Welcome to The End'
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
some people are just really unimaginative when it comes to food. my cousin and her husband came out to san diego a few years ago, and the dining experience that made them happiest was finding a pizza hut (that being their favorite pizza place).

I still hold that what Pizza Hut produces is not pizza. Though Dominos is actually surprisingly good these days.
Heretical Rants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fritterdonut wrote:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Skype-Provided-Backdoor-Access-to-the-NSA-Before-Microsoft-Takeover-NYT-362384.shtml

Quote:
The source claims that the NSA wanted “to control the process themselves” and thus skip the process of contacting the parent company and asking for details on select user accounts.

This is how Skype Project Chess was born. “Less than a dozen people inside Skype” have been asked to develop a hidden system that would allow the NSA to access conversations and user details at any time.

Skype officially joined the PRISM program on February 6, 2011, so it’s believed that the backdoor access system was already up and running at that time, more than half a year before the Microsoft acquisition was completed.

So do we trust Microsoft more or less now?
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heretical Rants wrote:
So do we trust Microsoft more or less now?

Neither, but we're going to need more tar and feathers.
It read 'Welcome to The End'
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arc Tempest wrote:
mouse wrote:

I still hold that what Pizza Hut produces is not pizza. Though Dominos is actually surprisingly good these days.

I worked at Pizza Hut. I say opit is pizza and I would eat it (if my partner idn't prefer dominoes), but it's definitely not as awesoe as others. The 'hand tossed' is actualy hand tossed style puzza - frozen dough discs that are thawed. The deep dish is actually fresh made dough, and I prefer that.

Nothing beats real good pizza, though. I am still not over the closure of Chichittis, which made awesome thin-crust pizza in the style I remember east coast pizza being. They are supposed to be producing it for some gas stations now they've closed their restaurant, but no sign of that yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know how widespread they are but there's a really good pizza chain out and about called Papa Murphy's, where they prepare a pizza for you and then you take it home and bake it for fifteen minutes. the upside of it is that you get a really good pizza that is literally fresh out of the oven. the downside is that you have to bake it yourself. but the result is so orgasmically good that often you don't really care.

when my desire for orgasmically good pizza is outweighed by my aversion to heating the oven and baking the thing for fifteen minutes, i'll settle for Pizza Hut, though.

there's also an organic pizza chain called zpizza that had a really good chicken sausage and arugula pizza, and a bunch of other weird pizzas, but they're kind of expensive.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Papa Murphy's s really good, but my roommate an't handle the smell of rising yeasty wheat things, so we can't et them. But omg, so good! I like their greek vegetarian.

I want a Cicis Pizza nearby, because while it may be crappy pizza, there are so many different kinds.

I also dream of owning a 'let's pizza' vending machine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So before I left I read that post about how Dominos is actually surprisingly good these days. My immediate response was "yeah fucking riiiiiiiiiight"

Tonight the midnight food option came up and I couldn't help but recall that and was all like 'uhhh, ... d ... dominnnooooos?'

after like twenty solid minutes of being looked at like I was crazy, we were eating these really fucking awesome white sauce pan pizzas and going WHAT SORCERY IS THIS
stripeypants

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do a good job with mushrooms and that thin steak stuff.

And they have a neat app where you pretend to work at dominoes. You can make a virtual pzza, then order that pizza. Best of all, if you play the game, you get the real feeling of tediously making the same food over and over, and having a manager belittle your efforts.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:

I had a friend come in from out of town one time and we went out to eat. I took him to my favorite diner, nothing fancy just a place I really enjoy. My other friend got legitimately pissed and was like "why don't you just take him to McDonalds next time?"

I was thinking "when we go down to visit him we eat at Waffle House..."
Arc Tempest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam wrote:
So before I left I read that post about how Dominos is actually surprisingly good these days. My immediate response was "yeah fucking riiiiiiiiiight"

Tonight the midnight food option came up and I couldn't help but recall that and was all like 'uhhh, ... d ... dominnnooooos?'

after like twenty solid minutes of being looked at like I was crazy, we were eating these really fucking awesome white sauce pan pizzas and going WHAT SORCERY IS THIS

A couple years ago they completely redid the menu and went from "fucking inedible" to "pretty goddamn good" overnight.

Random story: the best pizza I ever ate was at a hole in the wall restaurant in Lincoln City, OR called Mr. P's. Mr. P was a 93 year old cancer survivor who had owned another restaurant in Depoe Bay for thirty five some odd years before retiring.

He only opened the place in Lincoln City because he got bored as hell and wanted to cook. He made everything from fresh and had his own recipe for everything: sauce, dough, sausage, everything.

I'm yet to find another pizza that comes close.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 706, 707, 708 ... 805, 806, 807  Next
Page 707 of 807

Jump to: