welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-06-18 Fresh DopeNanna of Bel Air
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Night Spade wrote:
I would shudder to imagine what would happen if Granny ever used her knitting powers for EVIL!

They said that wool helped us get warmer... Nobody expected the true way that it would be used.

Nobody knows how long ago the Dome of Wool covered the city, any more. Nobody can tell day from night, after all, nor the motivations behind it. But everyone remembers when it happened. It took approximately five minutes. Now everyone wishes they used those to escape.

We don't know freedom any more, but we, as a community, are closer to each other. Wool can't be trusted, so we hug each other for warmth... And it's that warmth that reminds us that somewhere, there still is hope for us. To, some day, escape the Dome of Wool.

Istancow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinfest would be like Looking for Group, and Nana would be like Richard.
MerchManDan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The streets of Sinfestia overrun by these things:

Yinello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana is taking it well. I'd be quite pissed if poles ruined the pavement outside my store.
Katsuni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I really rather like Nana's approach to the patriarchy; she twists it's attempts to corrupt into useful toys to be played with, she's kind, caring, and does a nice job rewarding those who try to escape it and works well as a safe haven in general from the ills of the world.

I find it's also rather interesting that, although her character's a little bit seemingly simple in basic, core concept, the implementation of that concept is quite well done. She always seems to have some unique take on things, or a subtle humour to her that's a bit more subdued and understated, yet still clearly present to many of the other characters.

Normally blind optimism just kind of gets slightly on my nerves, especially when it's little more than a coping mechanism generally, but Nana's got more of the right idea in that regard; anything bad that happens can eventually become something good, and she acts upon bad events to change them for the better, instead of just grinning like an idiot and baring it without lifting a finger.

She's a pretty cool role model as a whole - leading by example of what the world could be like - and the Rick Astley lurvin' is just bonus points ^.~
katara

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna be like granny when I grow up.
And I want the sisterhood and I to become bffs and run around in joy from hammock to hammock.

But most of all, granny. She's my role model.
cleocatra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
Maynar wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
I want to be friends with Nana and learn her secret powers of fast knitting.

It's a bona fide super power, I'm sayin'

Ain't no learnin' about it. Either you got it or you don't.

Indeed.

omg a new webcomic for me to follow ty
Ronald

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were done with those things. I'm not sure it's a good sign for Tat to be going backward like that. Oh well.
Katsuni

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
I thought we were done with those things. I'm not sure it's a good sign for Tat to be going backward like that. Oh well.

By "those things", do you mean the poles?

It might just be that he finds them entertaining for some purpose or another, or it may be allusion towards Big D and the patriarchy simply being very thick skulled and persistent. It might even be suggestive that they're a form of hell-creature which independently exists, and breeds, grows in number regardless of attention payed to it.

We could take a few guesses, though it's hard to tell which so far =P

Either way, it seems turning them into a playground in front of Big D's own eyes kind of wasn't effective enough of a deterrent.
Ronald

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 2013-06-18 Fresh DopeNanna of Bel Air Reply with quote

Well, it's just me, but if Tat's going to revisit past endeavors of The Devil, I'd rather see this one revived instead:

http://www.sinfest.net/archive_page.php?comicID=2868

Always odd to be reminded how, during the Devil Girls' early appearances, Fuchsia seemed to be the one in charge. She usually did all the talking back then. (and Blue bouncy-bouncing on a chair, well, in retrospect, that's just weird)

Seriously, the next time the strip has nameless Devil Girls wandering around, give 'em something to do other than work the BOMF District. In this particular context, missionaries would be way more interesting than prostitutes. Wink
Katsuni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 2013-06-18 Fresh DopeNanna of Bel Air Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:

Always odd to be reminded how, during the Devil Girls' early appearances, Fuchsia seemed to be the one in charge. She usually did all the talking back then. (and Blue bouncy-bouncing on a chair, well, in retrospect, that's just weird)

I find it odd, as well, that Fuchsia was the one with the glasses and more cool initial demeanor as well. If you swap hair colours, they seem more in-character oddly. Maybe Tat forgot, or maybe it he just decided at some point that Fuchsia seems like a more "fun" colour, and blue is more "cool and icy"? They might've just been arbitrarily assigned originally, and later he decided to add some extra thought into them.

Either way, they're still awesome characters, with some of the greatest depth of the entire cast at this point, regardless of humble beginnings =3
tricksterson

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC Blue didn't go all icy and cold until after Fuschia left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: