welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1191, 1192, 1193 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samsally

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Finn.

I feel like the world is a little less likely to end now. Just... ugh.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
Felgraf wrote:
Have you been getting a lot of rain lately? It could just be seeping through the soil and seeping in, that happened in our basement once, I think. Or, it could be seeping into the *inside* of the wall from somewhere...

We've been having big storms lately. I think I have a solution, but I'll have to see when I get home.

The dampness is under a window, which makes an obvious entry point, but I can see no water damage or stains on the wall leading from the window to the baseboards. So, I think the leak is from the window, but going behind the wall itself to the floor.

I should be able to divert water away from the window and extend the rain spout a bit. I hope this is the cause. I might also need to dig up the garden my wife spent all that time on and put drains in.

I think I found the issue. The well in front of the window, the half circle aluminum dealie, has a gaping rust hole in it right along the house, and a few more cropping up. Guess I'll be replacing that in the near future.
mouse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm so sorry about your dog, him. pets are family, and it hurts to lose them. i hope you all have a good time in spain, though.

samsally - i am totally not an artist, but isn't a portfolio sort of an on-going thing? you keep doing all sorts of great stuff - i know it's hard to lose part of your history as an artist, but you will keep growing - so certainly the fact that you have lost part of what was your portfolio doesn't mean you can't ever get anywhere.

and also: external hard drive for backup, which you keep hidden somewhere away from the computer except when you are actually backing it up.

also also - would anyone else have printouts of the work you lost?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Portfolios are an ongoing thing, but a portfolio can take a long time to make. And it can create a lot of anxiety, since the whole point of making one is to let people see what you can do - so of course you have to wonder, "Oh god, is this really all I'm capable of? I'm not good enough!" and "No one's really going to like this, I should give up now."

I'm so paranoid about losing my work that I tend to e-mail it to myself, store it in various cloud storage things, put it on multiple computers, and store it on USB sticks. But all that takes a lot of organization and tedious follow-through, so most everything is disorganized - and I somehow manage to delete things I actually need on all those places.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can see that - i was just thinking about a couple of people i know who are professional artists; preparing for a show seems to be this whole manic-depressive cycle: "i have the greatest idea ever!" "shit, this is never going to work!" "i have an even more brilliant idea that will fix it and also strengthen the message of the piece!" "shit, i have to get this done in two days and the critical bit keeps breaking!" "ok, i managed to get it in by the deadline but it was all rushed and it looks like crap!" and then they go to the opening and drink steadily while alternately lurking and popping up to explain their process, if someone seems interested.

but they have the advantage, now, of having a history of shows, so they can demonstrate that at least a few gallery owners thought their work was decent. starting out trying to convince people of this can't be fun.
cixelsyD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got shot down three times this week. I think I am starting to get a nice numb feeling. Should help.
Yinello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samsally wrote:
i'm pretty sure most of my art that is worth anything at all was all on a computer that was stolen two years ago and i don't know what i'm going to do. i can't make a portfolio without actually reasonable art and i can't find any from the time frame i was making portfolio worthy stuff. its the one place i can't check because its gone.

i don't know what i'm going to do. i can't get it back. how can i get out of here if i can't even make a portfolio.

All of my hugs Sam, I would be absolutely devastated to lose bits of the work I loved.
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well just the other night these cops pulled me over outside of a bar
they turned on their lights and they ordered me out of my car
man, I was only joking when I called 'em a couple of dicks
but still they made me do those stupid human tricks
so I got stuck in some jail with a bunch of dumb hicks
and I still don't why....

I think I'm an alright guy
I think I'm an alright guy
I just wanna live until I gotta die
I know I ain't perfect but god knows I try
I think I'm an alright guy....

I really do
I think I'm alright...

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naked jesus on a pegasus, fuck my ass with a pool cue!TM please tell me other people post things on here while drunk that they never intended to share.

hey! rock bottom's not that bad
we've got glow-in-the-dark fish down here that's rad
Thy Brilliance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yinello wrote:
Samsally wrote:
i'm pretty sure most of my art that is worth anything at all was all on a computer that was stolen two years ago and i don't know what i'm going to do. i can't make a portfolio without actually reasonable art and i can't find any from the time frame i was making portfolio worthy stuff. its the one place i can't check because its gone.

i don't know what i'm going to do. i can't get it back. how can i get out of here if i can't even make a portfolio.

All of my hugs Sam, I would be absolutely devastated to lose bits of the work I loved.

Did you happen to keep a serial number of the machine?

That's one of the first major steps in recovering a computer.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STUPID FUCK WITH THE RADIO: THANK YOU FOR TURNING IT ON BECAUSE I WAS IN DANGER OF GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finnegan wrote:
naked jesus on a pegasus, fuck my ass with a pool cue!TM please tell me other people post things on here while drunk that they never intended to share.

You know, I always thought of drunk posting just because and I never do it because when I get drunk I always want to do something else.

Don't worry tho Finn, if it helps, I'm laughing with you and not at you.

I'll try to drunk post on Sinfest if I can. Keep an eye out.
Mini J

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully I haven't been Drunk On The Internets in a few years now. Even so, there are a series of embarrassing and awful posts scattered hither and yon from those days.

So no, you aren't alone in that.
Samsally

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey who remembers that time I got super drunk, watched Star Trek TOS episodes, and liveblogged my feelings all over sinfest?

Good times, good times.

Anyway Thank you everyone for being nice to me about losing all that art. I'm mostly avoiding thinking about it and swinging wildly between emotions. Thy: I don't have the serial number, sadly, and they never did find it. Reminds me I should jot down the serial number on my current computers, though, and hide 'em somewhere.
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what was tasked with keeping water out of my basement. I understand now where the water was coming from.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1191, 1192, 1193 ... 1252, 1253, 1254  Next
Page 1192 of 1254

Jump to: