welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allan & Barbara Pease = devil (pseudoscience, sexism)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Allan & Barbara Pease = devil (pseudoscience, sexism) Reply with quote

I was strolling through the store, and came across this book.

Allan and Barbara Pease - The Body Language of Love

I'm surprised people actually buy this thing, and believe the words that are written. I had already been pissed about these authors, once I've run through their book 'The definitive book on body language', because even though it had some good points, most of them were ridiculous generalizations, and whenever a 'differences between men and women' section came up, I was about to rip my skin off. Ridiculous, nonsensical, sexist.
And there was also a ton of bullshit as well. Honestly, they say "The non-verbal expression of 'no' comes from how when the baby does not want to drink more milk from the mother's breasts". Okay, explain to me why the Bulgarians shake their heads IN THE OTHER DIRECTION THEN?

ARGH

But that is NOTHING compared to the atrocity that THIS book is. This is the BLUEPRINT of sexism. I was SO disgusted, that I just HAD to vent here. ALL of that book just pisses me off.

Of course, I could have just linked this atrocity against the human race. Same authors, same bullshit, same sexist remarks and blunt stereotypes. This is not a self-help book, this is brainwashing.

Last edited by Zhuinden on Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just so disappointing, that people try so desperately to understand others, and they read self-help books that just reinforce stereotypes instead of trying to actually help people in understanding each other.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are now at the forefront of a science which is relatively new and came out of its own dark fucking ages in living memory and is surrounded by a fog of wretched pseudoscience jumped on by the opportunistic and the gullible and who will appropriate your terminology for the sense of scientific legitimacy it brings. Well-aged sciences don't often have to worry about this shit. A botanist doesn't have to worry about people jumping up and selling pet theories about how ferns live on salt and their shape is the result of them adapting to dinosaurs sleeping on them. A chemist rarely has to worry about people 'discovering' that hydrogen peroxide bubbles on contact with blood because it is actually drawing out engrams lodged in your unconscious potassium memory.

But you are a psychologist in the age of the internet, where everyone's a psychologist and everyone thinks they intuitively understand the mind better than you and people are marketing flat fucking farce wearing various masks of legitimacy. Prepare to hear all about the TRUE differences between men and women. About mind hacks which will cause people to fall in love with you. About why you are western medicine chemical pushers out of sync with the Natural and Organic state of the mind. About brain hacks you can use to escape any sort of mental condition. Get ready for attachment therapists and "Neuro-Linguistic Programmers" and anthroposophic gestalt mind-analysis. Get ready to live in a world where the snake oil rules by attrition and noise. A world where you, like others in your field, have to let it reign because you're too busy with actually important shit, like helping PTSD sufferers and survivors of abuse, to argue about it on the internet.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is this quote from? Google found me nothing.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's me talking with my friends on the great day they became Real Psychologists and went into the field of helping trauma victims with the best known tools we actually have.

it's a testament to how this is a world full of bullshit piled on top of more bullshit, and psychology's candle in the dark is a much more feeble and reforming thing in a field that we as humans seem inclined to fill with a deeper and stinkier darkness than nearly any other field has to deal with.

Pseudopsychology is probably the most remarkable oversaturation of our already pop med saturated world. In a world in which you can sell homeopathy to people in spite of obvious and egregious basic chemical falsehoods, you can sell pseudopsych that wedges itself in the cracks of actuarial empirical understanding of our minds.
Dennis J. Squidbunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my God, Sam! You just posted an unattributed quote from YOURSELF. Is it warm in your own anus this time of year?
Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just another one of those books that go "Did you know women see more colours than men???....300 pages....therefore gender roles of the 1950s are the natural way of things.", right?

Because I love those. Knowing that since women evolved to pick out which berries are edible they can't really be CEO's is awesome.

Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:
Oh my God, Sam! You just posted an unattributed quote from YOURSELF. Is it warm in your own anus this time of year?

LET ME JUST QUOTE THIS BRILLIANT PIECE OF ONE OF THE FINEST MINDS IN THE WORLD! WHICH IS BY COINCIDENCE WRITTEN BY ME BECAUSE I AM ONE OF THE FINEST MINDS IN THE WORLD.

Snorri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, I like your blog, hadley. Be a dear and visit my place of residence this summer.

Zhuinden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snorri wrote:
This is just another one of those books that go "Did you know women see more colours than men???....300 pages....therefore gender roles of the 1950s are the natural way of things.", right?

Because I love those. Knowing that since women evolved to pick out which berries are edible they can't really be CEO's is awesome.

Yes, this is exactly that kind of book. I'd love to laugh about it, but it just fills me with rage. Razz
Sam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis J. Squidbunny wrote:

yeah, but it's a dry heat.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang it. I kind of feel bad, because I read this book, really enjoyed it, and highly recommended it on this forum at one point. I wonder if you happened to have read one of my posts at one time and it was somewhere in your head when you got it. Or if it was a coincidence. Most likely a coincidence.

If at anything, it at least piqued my interest in the field and caused me to want to find out more.

Edit: Scratch that; it was the same authors, but it was titled "The Definitive Book of Body Language" as opposed to "The Language of Love". I don't know how similar they are though.
Zhuinden

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gibson22 wrote:
Dang it. I kind of feel bad, because I read this book, really enjoyed it, and highly recommended it on this forum at one point. I wonder if you happened to have read one of my posts at one time and it was somewhere in your head when you got it. Or if it was a coincidence. Most likely a coincidence.

If at anything, it at least piqued my interest in the field and caused me to want to find out more.

Edit: Scratch that; it was the same authors, but it was titled "The Definitive Book of Body Language" as opposed to "The Language of Love". I don't know how similar they are though.

Ah, well "The Language of Love" is pretty much the excerpt from that book's specifically sexist, overly generalized and stereotypical metacommunicational language, with even less half-truths as that book.

'The definitive guide to body language' is an abomination in a sense if you ask me, because it's a mixture of actually common body language gestures and emotional expressions (hey, the 7 basic emotions are fairly easily readable, considering they are mostly globally the same) with some actual facts that anyone could accept based on prior knowledge, but surrounded with the steaming pile of pseudo-facts and sexism in the form of assuming that all differences in behavior are because of genetic (biological, innate, not provable) origins, and how prehistoric humans, or more-so 'men hunted while the women gathered fruit'.

Imagine a food you've always wanted to eat, for example chocolate cake, and the sugar of it (humor) makes you believe it is delicious, but if you look more closely, you can see the infestation of worms wiggling around in half the bites. That's what the book is like. It's a nice read, and some of it is in fact informative, but once you inspect it more closely, you'll rather not want to just gobble it up without attention and precaution. Confused

Coincidence, by the way.
Gibson22

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zhuinden wrote:
Imagine a food you've always wanted to eat, for example chocolate cake, and the sugar of it (humor) makes you believe it is delicious, but if you look more closely, you can see the infestation of worms wiggling around in half the bites. That's what the book is like. It's a nice read, and some of it is in fact informative, but once you inspect it more closely, you'll rather not want to just gobble it up without attention and precaution. Confused

Coincidence, by the way.

Oh no...I ATE THAT CAKE THREE TIMES! ;_;
stripeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about fancy cookies you save in the cupboard because they're expensive, but when you start eating them, you realize they're full of who knows what kind of parasite! And you've already eaten them!

Sad India moths are horrifying, but thankfully harmless.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: