welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Life's Horrors
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1192, 1193, 1194 ... 1254, 1255, 1256  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yinello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks real damaged o.O
DeD CHiKn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit.

There's about 6 inches that came out in pieces.

I replaced it with a shiny new one.
eureka00

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rainy weather is seriously interfering with my mentos/coke geyser fun with my class. *shakes fist*
Dro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeD CHiKn wrote:
A little bit.

There's about 6 inches that came out in pieces.

I replaced it with a shiny new one.

Ohhhh yeahhh.
Yorick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to be around people, yet I want to have people around me.
I want to talk to certain people, but also don't want to talk to certain people (and some of them are the same people).
I need a vacation from being myself.
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday morning, I get a call at work from Mz. Love, saying she's got severe abdominal pain, like when she's had kidney stones, but different, too. The pain was also in her chest. She was at work fairly close to home, so we agreed to meet there, and I would drive her to the emergency room.

As a husband, it's difficult to drive your wife to the hospital when she's in serious pain. First off, your job at that point is to pay attention to the road and get everyone to the destination safely. For better or worse, men are either predispositioned or programmed to fill the role of protector. To see someone you love in agonizing pain and know there isn't a damn thing you can do leaves you feeling quite impotent and useless. To essentially have to tune out the cries of pain from the passenger seat and resist the urge to drive 120 miles an hour through the city is difficult. Not, I am quite sure, as difficult as going through the pain itself, but I think I would gladly switch places.

We got the the ER at 12:55. With the chest pains in the complaint, an EKG was the first order of business at the triage station. That appeared to be fine, which was a major relief. They moved her to the Chest Pain center, started an IV, took vitals, and sent blood to the labs. At some point, they also asked her for a urine sample, which took her a while to provide. I did note that once she filled the little cup, it was almost an hour before it went to the lab. After about 45 minutes to an hour, the pain starts to subside, which had me thinking maybe it was a kidney stone and it passed.

Two to three hours into the visit, the ER doc comes by and says the blood test showed a high white count. She does an abdominal exam, which reveals extreme tenderness in the lower abdomen on both sides. It was low enough on the right I thought they were going to go with appendix, but it was just as tender, if not more so on the left. The doc orders a CT scan of the abdomen. Between going for that and getting the results, another couple of hours passes.

The doc comes back and says the CT showed "sludge" in her gall bladder. To get a better idea of what's going on, she sends her for a sonogram. It confirms the sludge, plus a stone, and an inflamed gall bladder. At 8:30pm, the doc says she will be admitted, and they will schedule her for surgery to remove the gall bladder. I thought 7-1/2 hours to make that diagnosis seemed long, but I realized there were a number of tests, and each one involved a cycle of ordering the test, getting the results, interpretting them, and deciding what to do next. Little did I know that was just the beginning.

She hadn't eaten since breakfast, ~7am, and nothing to drink since before noon. Now with a diagnosis that meant surgery, there would be nothing to eat or drink until they could operate. I thought they would schedule a surgery for the next day and admit her to a room, where she could get some food, or at least some rest. Not to be.

She kept telling me to go ahead and go home and get some rest. I was adamant that I wasn't leaving until I knew what was happening, and when. We waited, and waited, and waited. A little after midnight, I tracked down the ER doc and asked for some idea of when she would either be moved to a room, or prepped for surgery. The short answer was that the doc didn't know. It could be any time, or it could be a while.

At Mz. Love's insistence, I went home on the promise that she would call me as soon as they either moved her or told her she was going in for surgery.

I got home and in bed a little after 1am. Up about 6am with no phone call, I was sure she had been stubborn and decided to let me sleep. I got showered, gathered the things she wanted me to bring, and headed for the hospital. I got there about 8am, and she called as I was getting out of the car.

She was still in Emergency, though she had been moved to an isololation room when she threatened to walk out at 4am. It was 11am when they moved her to a regular room. Twenty-two hours in ER, and 28 since she had eaten. Surgery was scheduled for 2pm, and she went in at 2:30.

She came home Saturday, and is healing, albeit slowly. She apparently had a very inflammed gall bladder. She had a follow-up with the surgeon this morning. Despite the discharging doctor saying she could go back to a "mostly regular" diet when she got home, just smaller portions and watch the fat, this morning she was told no meat for about a week.

I'm still frustrated that they kept her "hanging" for hours, rather than recognizing that, while urgent, the situation wasn't immediately life-threatening, and scheduling surgery for a reasonable time the following day.

tl;dr - My wife had unplanned emergency surgery Friday, and a horrible experience in the ER.
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to heart that Jinx, it sounds very stressful! I hope she's doing better now.
Jinx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<stupid double-post>

Last edited by Jinx on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeez, jinx - that sounds like a really nasty few days, for both of you. i hope mz. love is feeling much better now, and will heal quickly.

you'd think with all the tv shows centered on ERs, at least _one_ would give an idea of why it always takes so long, instead of showing everyone getting treated instantly. i did manage to get into a doctor immediately one time - i managed to get myself brought in in an ambulance, which seems to focus everyone's attention. (i used to recommend this to everyone, to call an ambulance, but the prices seem to be a bit high these days.) but 22 hours, especially since she had gotten a diagnosis - that really seems extreme. i hope they at least gave her some water, eventually.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear your wife is fine, after all that.

I assume emergency rooms are like this just because of understaffing, and because of how many people can't get regular care but will be admitted to the emergency room when the things preventive care would have treated become really bad.

In other news, I checked out a book called Farm and Ranch Spanish, thinking I would learn to say a few things not useful to me, like, "I like tractors. Let me tell you all about them in exceeding technical detail." Or stuff about growing crops.

Apparently, however, this book is very racist. The very first page with dialogue in it teaches you how to call someone a 'wetback.' The rest of the book is basically, "How to tell Mexican laborers what to do." I think for employers who don't speak Spanish but who tend to have a lot of Spanish-speaking employees are necessary - however, I fail to see how a book like this could properly fill that need.

This book appears to have been around the library since 1995, so that's more than enough time for someone to have reviewed the content. So I'm going to ask for it to be pulled from the system, but since it has been left there this long, I don't trust they'll get rid of it.

And here I thought the Russian language learning books from the early 90s were bad.... (Although learning about how to acquire toilet paper while staying within the USSR was fascinating.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa - that's weird. maybe it's still around because no one has noticed it?

but it does sound like something that's adding to the mission of educating and enlightening the public. wonder how it came to be acquired in the first place?
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the one? or from here
Quote:
"Farm & Ranch Spanish" helps ranchers with Spanish-speaking workers will find this practical book indispensable to their operation. Chapters with names like "Today We Round up Goats," "Working on the Windmill," & "Picking Cotton," cover the everyday activities of ranch & farm life in simple Spanish & English sentences. No wrestling with grammar is required. On the job the rancher simply turns to the applicable section & reads or points to the appropriate sentence, & the worker replies the same way. Eventually, commonly used phrases become automatic. Vocabulary from a large glossary can be substituted in unusual situations, & those who want to hasten their mastery of Spanish can study the optional grammar section. Written by working ranchers who grew up speaking Spanish, received master's degrees in it, & went on to teach it, this no-nonsense presentation of the language of the Mexican border belongs in every rancher's truck.

if it was written in 1960, i suppose that explains the "wetback" stuff... but it sounds like it definitely is "how to tell mexican laborers what to do "(by pointing to sentences!) they also have a companion volume, "spanish for the housewife"

ummmmmm.....maybe get it refiled as an historical oddity?
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea, because it was bought sometime after 1995 (that's the latest reprint date listed in the book.) So they should've known better. And this is not a ranching county, either, as far as I know. There are farms, but not ranches.

I wonder if the housewife book is for wives of ranchers. Because then you could have a complete set of 'how to talk to your Mexican workers' books - one for indoors and one for out.

There is even a bit in this book for explaining to your workers (as you drive them to your ranch via a bus) that their work cards will be kept at (some place I forget) and will be returned to them when they go back to Mexico. And then a worker asks for permission to go home as his wife is sick - but the worker has no money, so asks to borrow some bus fare.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having been on the other side of the hospital experience, I could tell you why everything moved so slow, took so long, and was so irritating... but it doesn't really matter. It only matters that it's irritating as hell to be a patient in our modern health care system.

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery, Yorick.
fritterdonut

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn near had a panic attack over signing up for courses this year.

I require a minimum of 9 credits (3 courses) per term to get a spot in housing, for a total of 18 credits through the year.

I'm still technically a first-year student due to me failing Math 100, meaning I couldn't take Math 101. On top of that, I fucked up a physics course (failed a must-pass exam, finished the course with 49%). I also wanted to retake Chem 123 (which I passed, but wanted a better grade in). However, Math 101, the Physics course, and the Chem course are all second term.

This means all I had for first term was Math 100. Cue me fucking scrambling to try and 2 courses that are a) Open to me, and b) at least somewhat applicable to my current program.

Luckily I think I can take second-year computer science courses, because that would at least allow me to keep working towards a CompSci major.

Jesus christ I'm so stressed.

Edit: I'm also signed up for some Economics courses, which I think I might find interesting. Still, what a colossal clusterfuck this has been. A 5-year bachelors Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Casual Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1192, 1193, 1194 ... 1254, 1255, 1256  Next
Page 1193 of 1256

Jump to: