welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6/30/2013 Domestic Violence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rage pretty hard when I see loyalty being rewarded with betrayal, so what the guy did was indefensible.

But, I also want to know why everyone else was giving them a hard time about their relationship. Who the fuck cares as long as both of them were happy?

Also on topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f59N37xH0Ng
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I think this has anything to do with why other dudes were mocking him, but what makes you think they "both were happy," by any reasonable assessment? She was programmed, purchased, and acting on protocol, and the moment the dude wasn't perfectly happy with his piece of property, he "killed" and disposed of her.

How the hell do you get "both happy" from that? There are huge inherent problems and underlying dysfunction with the entire scenario from start to finish.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Not that I think this has anything to do with why other dudes were mocking him, but what makes you think they "both were happy," by any reasonable assessment? She was programmed, purchased, and acting on protocol, and the moment the dude wasn't perfectly happy with his piece of property, he "killed" and disposed of her.
As I said, what the guy did was indefensible.
Rune wrote:

How the hell do you get "both happy" from that? There are huge inherent problems and underlying dysfunction with the entire scenario from start to finish.
Well, maybe they weren't, sure. But the people on the street had no indication they weren't happy and should have left them the fuck alone.

I don't have any inclination to date a RealDoll, but it's not my right to tell others they can't just because I'm not inclined.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
Rune wrote:
As I said, what the guy did was indefensible.
Rune wrote:

Well, maybe they weren't, sure. But the people on the street had no indication they weren't happy and should have left them the fuck alone.

I don't have any inclination to date a RealDoll, but it's not my right to tell others they can't just because I'm not included.

The other people on the street clearly knew she was a fembot, as that seemed to be the heart of their mockery. They didn't have to be jerks about it, but yes, that alone was some indication that it was not a real, happy, mutual relationship. So, again, "both were happy" is kind of bogus.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
The other people on the street clearly knew she was a fembot, as that seemed to be the heart of their mockery. They didn't have to be jerks about it, but yes, that alone was some indication that it was not a real, happy, mutual relationship. So, again, "both were happy" is kind of bogus.
Why do you automatically assume a man and a robot can't be happy together?
Why should others have the right to automatically make that kind of judgement about a relationship were only the races of the two involved are known?
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:
Rune wrote:
Why should others have the right to automatically make that kind of judgement about a relationship were only the races of the two involved are known?

Oh, yes. Please go there. Please make the argument that fembots are meant to be property and are totally fulfilled by their programming, and don't need any broader existence than to fulfill their protocol to please. Please, make the argument that because they're a different "type" of person, they're meant to be property, and will find their happiness in fulfilling that role, and that while the role is different, it's still all kinds of equal to the man's role in the relationship. Please, keep doing all that while comparing them to RealDolls, and missing any kind of important metaphor that they could stand in for. Keep saying horrible things in those metaphorical terms with blind abandon.

This ought to be fun. *grabs popcorn*
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robot has no will or power to make decisions. Why assume the robot is happy, when the robot has no other choice but to look happy?

Maybe the robot feels nothing and is dead inside - though I would imagine devil tech wouldn't be against giving robots free will so they can be unhappy.

That bit before he killed her - she looked terrified. Either she was, or she was programmed to look terrified if she was hit. That's creepy all around.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you saying robots aren't capable of "real" love?

I don't see why either the robot's feelings or the man's feelings should be considered disingenuous.

Who are you to say what "love" is?
Rothide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Lich Mong wrote:
Rune wrote:

Oh, yes. Please go there. Please make the argument that fembots are meant to be property and are totally fulfilled by their programming, and don't need any broader existence than to fulfill their protocol to please. Please, make the argument that because they're a different "type" of person, they're meant to be property, and will find their happiness in fulfilling that role, and that while the role is different, it's still all kinds of equal to the man's role in the relationship. Please, keep doing all that while comparing them to RealDolls, and missing any kind of important metaphor that they could stand in for. Keep saying horrible things in those metaphorical terms with blind abandon.

This ought to be fun. *grabs popcorn*

God forbid we look at this without including the great god "metaphor".

Now if you excuse me, I have to go bury my cartridge, my nintendog glitches out this morning, please excuse me while I mourn.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Course from my reading of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroscience_of_free_will
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dualism_%28philosophy_of_mind%29#Arguments_against_dualism

I'm not a believer in "Free Will" anyway.

Last edited by Lich Mong on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rothide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lich Mong wrote:

I don't see why either the robot's feelings or the man's feelings should be considered disingenuous.

This might be bad, but I agree with you.

What's to say his views before the relationship was ridiculed wasn't love, and his view on it changed when everyone called her fake, and then he decided she was fake and could take his anger of others out on this stupid robot he bought.

I think the smarter thing to do is return it and get your money back, that's what I do with games I don't like after getting them. So yeah, the guy is evil and dumber than the wrench.
Lich Mong

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
That bit before he killed her - she looked terrified. Either she was, or she was programmed to look terrified if she was hit. That's creepy all around.

The old P-zombie problem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robot's "feelings" are programmed, purchased, and owned. This isn't about capability, it's about choice and mutuality. If you think that "purchased" affection is equal to real affection, that there is any kind of mutuality, or that the guy WHO DISASSEMBLED HER AT THE SLIGHTEST PROVOCATION "loved" her to any degree, then you've got PROBLEMS.

The taunters did not cause him to go ballistic on her. There was something about the arrangement of their relationship (say, the whole ownership bit and not actually seeing her as a person, but as someTHING to fulfill a particular desire of his, part of which was status if his public strut and later reaction to the mockery is any indication,) that made that seem like an acceptable action of some kind on his part. That element was present in their "relationship" from the beginning. That you can call something like that "love" tells me more about you than I want to know, and none of it is good.
Rune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Lich Mong wrote:

This might be bad, but I agree with you.

What's to say his views before the relationship was ridiculed wasn't love, and his view on it changed when everyone called her fake, and then he decided she was fake and could take his anger of others out on this stupid robot he bought.

I think the smarter thing to do is return it and get your money back, that's what I do with games I don't like after getting them. So yeah, the guy is evil and dumber than the wrench.

Are you seriously making sarcastic points about loving your Nintendog in order to -agree- with the idea that the guy could possibly have really loved the bot that he bought, used, and then trashed when he wasn't satisfied with the product?
Rothide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rune wrote:
Robot's "feelings" are programmed, purchased, and owned. This isn't about capability, it's about choice and mutuality. If you think that "purchased" affection is equal to real affection, that there is any kind of mutuality, or that the guy WHO DISASSEMBLED HER AT THE SLIGHTEST PROVOCATION "loved" her to any degree, then you've got PROBLEMS.

The taunters did not cause him to go ballistic on her. There was something about the arrangement of their relationship (say, the whole ownership bit and not actually seeing her as a person, but as someTHING to fulfill a particular desire of his, part of which was status if his public strut and later reaction to the mockery is any indication,) that made that seem like an acceptable action of some kind on his part. That element was present in their "relationship" from the beginning. That you can call something like that "love" tells me more about you than I want to know, and none of it is good.

So just because he's robosxual, then was chastised for being robosxual, then had to show he wasn't robosxual, he never actually loved the robot. You can't have it both ways rune, you can't say that fembots have a personality and life beyond their programming, then say no one can actually have a relationship with them because they are only programmed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: