welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shelf-Time 7/3/13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Magenta

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Tomey about the horns, cuz I mean, he was kind of the one who bomfed her into being alive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything that's been bomf'd has horns, although having horns doesn't make you evil, just look at Pebbles for instance.

I think the horns are more a representation of change. The 'dark side' of whatever the entity was before. However if it already was dark, the 'dark side' of dark is actually the light side, if that makes any sense.

Basically it means there's been a 180 degree change of morals and views, initially anyways.

Of course while that fits most cases there is Slick who seems to break that definition, although Slick has always been a sort of an oddball.

That's how I've always viewed the horns as. Not as a 'evil bad' type thing, simply a radical shift of views and morals from the origin.
Mr. Meddler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Anyway, that kind of fighting is totally what happens in the libraries when no one is there. We have to go around with nets and leashes to wrangle up all the angry books. Doesn't help that the Christian books are sandwiched inbetween the atheist, pagan and buddhist books, and the liberal and conservative diatribes are all mixed in together. It's all torn spines and worn edges when everything is over. Occasionally, we also find the remains of 'lost' books that have been shoved way under something. Really couldn't be patrons.... Terrible, terrible situation.

Not to mention the Scientology books. We are still finding chewed up pages from the Massacre of '08. Wink

Click here to see my artwork!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Peanut Gallery wrote:
I live in south USA, and door holding is so ingrained not doing it makes me slightly uncomfortable. I find the the head bow and hand gesture usually preempts the "after you" dilemma, but I fold easy if someone insists on taking over. Doesn't happen often, usually enthusiastic little kids, but sometimes you get a group sentinel who has to provide for their flock of patrons.

I used to get worked up over the whole "Oh women shouldn't be (here/doing this), it's too dangerous!" shenanigans, like they were personally dissing my capabilities, but then I started realizing that there are women out there who, say, don't feel comfortable short-cutting behind strip malls at night alone for whatever reason (Took me a while to figure out the objection wasn't to the walking but to the route). Between the choice of resentfully licking my wounded pride in silence and letting a stereotype fester or being that asshole who potentially dismisses valid concerns of an at-risk group, it's all lose-lose. I try for laissez-faire but I'm not always zen enough to pull it off.

When I lived briefly in Louisiana, a white man explained to me that I would soon become a racist. He said he didn't think he would become one either, bt then this one time a black woman was at him while he was holding the door for her. Suddenly - racism! Just like that.

I usually walk through the door first, then old it open for whoever. Because I hate the stupid game. Usually if there is a guy near a door, I'll standway off to the side till he goes through, because I don't want to play the game of 'Do I pass right now?' more than necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Meddler wrote:
stripeypants wrote:
Anyway, that kind of fighting is totally what happens in the libraries when no one is there. We have to go around with nets and leashes to wrangle up all the angry books. Doesn't help that the Christian books are sandwiched inbetween the atheist, pagan and buddhist books, and the liberal and conservative diatribes are all mixed in together. It's all torn spines and worn edges when everything is over. Occasionally, we also find the remains of 'lost' books that have been shoved way under something. Really couldn't be patrons.... Terrible, terrible situation.

Not to mention the Scientology books. We are still finding chewed up pages from the Massacre of '08. Wink

I don't think we've got any of those (We are not the biggest library in the world) so we were spared that horror.

We do have a central building that holds all the extra and old books not so many people check out any more. Those ones are practically feral, and they have oodles of fighting experience to boot. The old county history books just squabble all night long about facts, from their own very separate cages. Because they don't grow weaker as they age, and a few crumbly pages mean nothing to them.

They terrify the new books by talking about how in the old days, books were made with sturdy spines - not like today's young'uns held together by a bit of glue and hope. Then they smile and gesture toward the mendery, where a pile of snapped spine books are moaning as they wait to be fixed. They grin their bookish bookish grins and say, "Goodnight."

Location: Chamber of the House of Lords in the Palace of Westminister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money's on Sun Tzu's The Art of War.
stripeypants

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that one. Art of War just sits off in the corner with its younger siblings (Those spin-offs just for business people) and smiles smugly at the mistakes the other books make. When a book asks for help, Art of War just offers cryptic poetry, then tells them to focus.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knappetroll wrote:
Arthain wrote:
I kind of liked the comic. At first I was like, what? But then an interesting thought popped up in my head and I just started to laugh.

Those two books, they bicker like an old married couple, hehe.

Then I pictured a small novelette popping up and I couldn't help but smile.

Baby book Tat! Make it happen please! It can be all naive like, a blank slate waiting to be written on! Oh the fun that could be had with that with the books fighting over how the baby book should be written.

I think my mind went into a weird place there...

...booksex?

Booksex.

There is nothing objectionable in this link, just a very funny glitch.
Mikewee777

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MerchManDan wrote:
Flavius Maximus wrote:
Would be nice if we could be nice for niceness sake. :mrgreen:
Didn't some guy get nailed to a tree for saying that about 2,000 years ago?
My apologies to Douglas Adams for paraphrasing one of the best book introductions ever.

"The disadvantages involved in pulling lots of black sticky slime from out of the ground where it had been safely hidden out of harmís way, turning it into tar to cover the land with, smoke to [poison/] fill the air with and pouring the rest into the sea, all seemed to outweigh the advantages of being able to get more quickly from one place to another."

"This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move".
The Peanut Gallery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:

When I lived briefly in Louisiana, a white man explained to me that I would soon become a racist. He said he didn't think he would become one either, bt then this one time a black woman was at him while he was holding the door for her. Suddenly - racism! Just like that.

LOL. Ah yes, the benefit of being born to a minority group. If you're on your best behavior you're "not like those other people like you I've met". And the minute the perfect mask slips, you've single-handedly ruined the reputation of thousands of people you'll never know or meet that have nothing else in common with you.

My mother told us that was why she left Memphis to have kids. I didn't notice it until I was older but the race relations in Memphis are ridiculously toxic. And it's like they don't even realize it, just a noxious smell in the air they've tuned out over the years. They have a statue of the first leader of the KKK in one of the parks there, for crying out loud.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChastMastr wrote:
One thing that I don't understand is why the feminist book has horns? Question

i don't think it does - i think that's just the bit of thickness you get along the spine in hardcover books. or at any rate the thickness artists always seems to show there.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Mr. Meddler wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

I don't think we've got any of those (We are not the biggest library in the world) so we were spared that horror.

We do have a central building that holds all the extra and old books not so many people check out any more. Those ones are practically feral, and they have oodles of fighting experience to boot. The old county history books just squabble all night long about facts, from their own very separate cages. Because they don't grow weaker as they age, and a few crumbly pages mean nothing to them.

They terrify the new books by talking about how in the old days, books were made with sturdy spines - not like today's young'uns held together by a bit of glue and hope. Then they smile and gesture toward the mendery, where a pile of snapped spine books are moaning as they wait to be fixed. They grin their bookish bookish grins and say, "Goodnight."

liar. you are clearly on the library staff at Unseen University.

at least, you'd better be. if normal books get like that, my library is more likely to kill me in my sleep than the cats are.
tricksterson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mouse wrote:
ChastMastr wrote:
One thing that I don't understand is why the feminist book has horns? Question

i don't think it does - i think that's just the bit of thickness you get along the spine in hardcover books. or at any rate the thickness artists always seems to show there.
That might explain what looks like a vestigial tailbump but I don't think it explains the horns, one at each end.

Also, Mouse, Stripeypants is clearly an orca, albeit a green one, not an ourangoutang so no, although I wouldn't bet against s/he and the Librarian being friends.

Last edited by tricksterson on Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
tricksterson

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unintentional double post.
mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, but rincewind worked as the Librarian's assistant, so he has assistants. i figured stripey was one of those.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: