welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013-07-08: Women Only Space 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point is that you don't consistently interpret the comic. Parts of it you read as a comic, and parts of it you read as if the characters were real life people beyond Tat's control. You come across a feminist theme or idea, and instead of being able to read the comic as a comic, you dip into old assumptions that don't properly fit Sinfest. You don't have any real clue where Tat is coming from, so you aren't actually seeing what he's saying - which means what you're arguing about misses the mark entirely.

That doesn't mean you'd totes agree if you were actually seeing what was being written. It just means you are having an argument by yourself about something that was not actually said or expressed in the strip. So then you're having a conversation by yourself, but near enough to everyone else that you think you're participating.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in other words everyone else came to play baseball and you showed up with your chess set and your croquet mallet and your little plastic submarine piece from "Battleship" and then you can't figure out why no one is playing Rothide-rules Calvinball
mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
your little plastic submarine piece from "Battleship"

when i learned to play battleship, we just used paper and pencil.

now i feel like i had a deprived childhood.
merest

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShadowCell wrote:
in other words everyone else came to play baseball and you showed up with your chess set and your croquet mallet and your little plastic submarine piece from "Battleship" and then you can't figure out why no one is playing Rothide-rules Calvinball

That sort of begs the question, doesn't it? Unless you are making a joke, in which case, carry on.
Rothide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
The point is that you don't consistently interpret the comic. Parts of it you read as a comic, and parts of it you read as if the characters were real life people beyond Tat's control. You come across a feminist theme or idea, and instead of being able to read the comic as a comic, you dip into old assumptions that don't properly fit Sinfest. You don't have any real clue where Tat is coming from, so you aren't actually seeing what he's saying - which means what you're arguing about misses the mark entirely.

That doesn't mean you'd totes agree if you were actually seeing what was being written. It just means you are having an argument by yourself about something that was not actually said or expressed in the strip. So then you're having a conversation by yourself, but near enough to everyone else that you think you're participating.

So because I don't dwell on the idea "respect a woman's boundaries and don't think yourself exempt because you think your a friend." I don't have the right to comment on anything else besides that?

And if that's not the point, then I'm just going to leave because apparently this is 'too deep for you.'
sammich

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
yea, i definitely agree but like,

if he actually legitimately asked the devil to provide him with mother/daughter action - with like, no specification whether its real or not (d-man's comment of it "not being feasible" makes it seem to me like he wanted to see the real deal in person but thats just me) it being combined with the very hypothetical possibility of him having a twin sister that he wasn't ever raised to actually see as his sister - and he's like, 20, so if they've been separated their entire lives i doubt hes really going to suddenly think of her as being his sister even if he finds out and is consciously aware of it - so its definitely something to be Slightly Concerned about

in this hypothetical scenario i mean, in real time i dont think anyone should Genuinely Give A Shit

I always assumed he was asking for a threesome with a woman and her daughter, probably not entailing the two women engaging in sexual activities with each other directly.

It's one of those extremely decadent fetishes, desirable more for the sheer implausibility than the actual squicky details.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

That sort of begs the question, doesn't it? Unless you are making a joke, in which case, carry on.

Stop misusing phallusies or Dogen will get you.

Yes I know that isn't how it's spelled you twit, its a not terribly clever reference to a different thread.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2013-07-08: Women Only Space 4 Reply with quote

Tekii wrote:

Not the cookie supply Sad!!!

Sometimes I wish tat would bring more of the Buddha in the comic.

I would love to see the interactions with the new characters
stripeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
stripeypants wrote:

So because I don't dwell on the idea "respect a woman's boundaries and don't think yourself exempt because you think your a friend." I don't have the right to comment on anything else besides that?

And if that's not the point, then I'm just going to leave because apparently this is 'too deep for you.'

No, this is all about how you don't understand the comic, because you don't know enought to step outside your own personal experience and look at this thing which is detailing other people's experience.

You're allowed to say what you think, but a lot of what you say isn't applicable, or it ends up being problematic.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
Strawberrycocoa wrote:
Well now I'm just curious.

laughs

Oh my god, those are cute drawings. Very Happy I like the cross-dress wedding one.
Rune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide, you argue from the point of view that patriarchal privilege is such an integral part of "realistic" humanity that we would not be able to recognize ourselves as human in a story without it.

You certainly can't.

So you are constantly reading these comics that challenge patriarchal privilege like they absolutely -have- to mean something else entirely, twisting into mental knots like some east-coast, wet-spaghetti highway junction, in order to loop wildly around the point like it was some kind of natural obstruction.

Patriarchal privilege is a thing, we can be realistic without it, it's realistic to challenge it, and it should be challenged.

And sometimes blundering blind men like you need the possibility of some kind of whallop up the side of the head before you'll watch where you're going, the space you're taking up, and actually consider the people that you're used to just getting out of your way.
Dogen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merest wrote:
ShadowCell wrote:

that doesn't mean what you seem to think it means.

aside from sounding pretentious, I don't know much about you... do you often use logical terms incorrectly? are we gonna have a problem here?
Leohan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Magenta wrote:
laughs

...You drew them without the shades. Very good drawing by the way.

You blew my mind for a couple of seconds. So not used to that.
LadySunami

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rothide wrote:
Rune wrote:
Rothide wrote:
aboutwhistles wrote:
Oh, you mean the way patriarchal men, colonialist countries and everyone in the upper tiers of the kyriarchy have been doing for decades?

If that involves drawing a weapon on an unarmed man for the most minor of offenses then yes exactly like that...

Who is invading their clearly marked peaceful/private space.

Do you object to bouncers who are there to eject rule-breakers from clubs? Just having some muscle, and willingness to use it, behind you can have a huge dissuading effect on people who would otherwise take advantage, even if you'd rather use the diplomacy you also have at your disposal. Good cop, bad cop.

"But wahhh, wahhh, girls and oppressed people aren't supposed to be mean! They're supposed to use the nice way all the time! Not being nice is to get what they want breaks the way my world works! It makes me face unpleasantness in my interactions with them!"

Bite me.

Yes you enter into a private space, your expected to leave, if a person goes into a VIP section, or at least into the club without permission, it is the bouncers right to tell him to leave. It ISN'T the bouncers right to pull a club on him for the first time he did it. Yes if he gives his case, still told no, and continues to resist then use force. This girl goes for force at the first second.

To me it would be like a cop pulling a gun on a guy for going 5 miles over the speed limit. "Hey he was breaking a rule, though!" wouldn't be a good excuse.

Edit: Unless you are saying that this field with the small sign "women zone" is liken to a military base, where unlawful entry is always with force. Or that slick has a weapon that we cannot see from this angle, someone entering with a weapon should and would be greeted with force.

You do realize she never actually hit him with the quarterstaff right? And holding a quarterstaff is hardly comparable to pulling out a gun. Quarterstaves can do serious damage if handled right, but can also be easily used for non-lethal or "mild" force. Unless you were to use a gun as a club for some reason (not very practical), the damage it does is always serious. Bruises heal more easily then bullet wounds.

Also, she's a rather small girl. Unlike your stereotypical bouncer, she's probably a bit lacking in the intimidation department. She can't stare down her nose at Slick while showing off her built chest and huge biceps like Mr. D's devil bouncers. Instead she is relying on her weapon proficiency to aid in showing Slick the seriousness of her demand. Sad to say, but people often do not take women's demands in regard to personal space seriously, unless it can be demonstrated to them that ignoring the request is more trouble then it's worth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> Sinfest All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: