Sinfest Forum Index Sinfest
welcome to the fest

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Random News Stories of Note
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 712, 713, 714 ... 784, 785, 786  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShadowCell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s'what you get when you have a whole political party that no longer believes in legislating, unless it's about uteruses and how to control them
Him

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of which: The Ireland abortion debate, summed up in one disrespectful gesture
stripeypants

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the solution! Call abortion and other medical procedures republicans hate 'guns.' So then they'll be protected by the strongest laws their are - pro gun laws.

So people won't go to the abortion clinic anymore; they'll go to the abortion gun shop. People of color won't be exercising voting rights; they'll be exercising their voting guns, and voter ID won't be a problem since everyone will be given brand new gun licenses without question or effort - they'll just show up at your door if you agree to join a mailing list. And I won't get sex reassignment surgery; I'll be visiting the sex gun shooting range.

(I clearly know a lot about guns, and therefore everything I say is witty.)

Also, I hope someone somewhere is right this very moment modifying a nerf dart gun to shoot tampons.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stripeypants wrote:
Also, I hope someone somewhere is right this very moment modifying a nerf dart gun to shoot tampons.

Hmmm . . .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zimmerman walks, not guilty.

(this was not a surprise)
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you're black and wearing a hoodie in this country you're disposable, even if you're killed by an overzealous wanna-be cop who disobeyed the police and went looking for a confrontation.
WheelsOfConfusion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In more uplifting news, the world's second largest helicopter just took an award for being the first successful human-powered helicopter.
Mindslicer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogen wrote:
Yeah, if you're black and wearing a hoodie in this country you're disposable, even if you're killed by an overzealous wanna-be cop who disobeyed the police and went looking for a confrontation.

Given that a 911 dispatcher is not a police officer and is instead just someone trained to use a radio system to coordinate the disposition of emergency services, nothing Zimmerman did was actually illegal.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many of you actually watched the trial (the whole thing was livestreamed, and it made good background noise), but the performance of the prosecuting attorneys was somewhere between pathetic and shameful (contrast with a competent defense team). From following the trial? There was no way the state proved their case beyond a reasonable doubt. As Sam said, this was not a surprise.
Cactuar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Dogen wrote:

Given that a 911 dispatcher is not a police officer and is instead just someone trained to use a radio system to coordinate the disposition of emergency services, nothing Zimmerman did was actually illegal.

Except for the part where he murdered an innocent teenager. Except for that part.
Mercian

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, the British public (or, at least, the sample willing to take part in the survey) are credulous morons. http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/everything-you-think-you-know-is-wrong
Dogen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mindslicer wrote:
Dogen wrote:

You realize that's not what I said, right? I'm talking about racial disparities in the criminal justice system - who gets in trouble for killing whom. The data is pretty evident, that the system chews up blacks preferentially, whether as perpetrators or victims. If you kill a white person you're more likely to get the death penalty than if you kill a black person, if you hold all other factors equal.
Monkey Mcdermott

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn dogen, i thought we'd learned not to engage mindslicer on things like this. He's as bad as thy.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know... he's like suds, just pops out to say something wicked stupid, and sometimes I just can't help myself.
CTrees

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmerman will get his gun back

Theoretically that was a foregone conclusion, given that he was innocent, but some people do have to sue to get their firearms back once the police have claimed them as evidence, and it can be quite a long, difficult process.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Sinfest Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 712, 713, 714 ... 784, 785, 786  Next
Page 713 of 786

Jump to: